ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-27-2017, 11:08 AM

Thanked 1,195 Times in 527 Posts
Default Interesting SI Article

Located here.

Basic ideal; SI's Albert Breer made a mock draft and then showed it to NFL scouts. The article is a summary of what the NFL scouts said about his mock draft.

High Points:
Quote:
After four months of calling around, I feel good about the first four picks. And those are USC quarterback Sam Darnold, UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen, Penn State running back Saquon Barkley and N.C. State defensive end Bradley Chubb. My sense is that, provided they all come out (Darnold is a redshirt sophomore, Rosen and Barkley are juniors, Chubb is a senior), the quarterbacks are safe bets to go inside the Top 5, but it’s the other two who are among the three best players in this class.

And the third of the top-three overall prospects is a guard. That’s right, a guard. Notre Dame’s Quenton Nelson is probably the most agreed upon prospect that I’ve discussed with scouts. When I told an exec last week that I’d probably write that Nelson was “maybe a better guard prospect than ex-teammate Zack Martin,” he told me to take the “maybe” out of there. In 2014, Martin, you may remember, became the first rookie linemen to make first-team All-Pro in 57 years. I had Nelson going fifth in my mock.
I would not be a fan of picking Barkley with the 3rd pick. Not that I don't think he is going to be a great RB at the NFL level; I just think we need to build a more complete team prior to adding the high powered RB to the offense. Build an actualy O-Line and get our defense to NFL average and then I am all for drafting the stud RB.

However, between Chubb or Nelson, I am all in. I don't really care which we would end up picking because I would be happy with either of them; they help solve 2 of our largest three holes on the team (O-Line, Pass Rush, ILB) and everything I am reading says that they are both the real deal.

Quote:
​The offensive linemen, in general, are pretty good. And they’re a lot better than they were last year, when none went in the first 15 picks for the first time in draft history. In addition to Nelson, I had his teammate, Mike McGlinchey and Conor Williams of Texas as left tackle prospects going inside the first eight picks, and five O-linemen in the first round.
If Ballard decides to trade down a bit to pile up picks, one of these OTs would be a fine consolation prize to pick in addition to getting the more picks.

From a different SI article about Senior Bowl invites:
Quote:
There are four small school OT prospects who have a chance to really help themselvesat the Senior Bowl: Humbolt State’s Alex Cappa, North Carolina A&T’s Brandon Parker, Stony Brook’s Timon Parris and West Georgia’s Desmond Harrison have shown NFL potential during their career.
Getting invited to the Senior Bowl is the premier way that you improve your NFL draft stock for guys whom are not sure-fire first round picks and a pretty good ticket into being drafted in the top 3 rounds of the NFL draft if you perform well regardless of the school size you came from.

At OT, the 2018 Senior Bowl invites were:

Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame (DECLINED)
Conor Williams, Texas (DECLINED)
Brian O'Neill, Pittsburgh (DECLINED)
Jamarco Jones, Ohio State (DECLINED)
Orlando Brown, Oklahoma (DECLINED)
Kolton Miller, UCLA (DECLINED)

Tyrell Crosby, Oregon
Alex Cappa, Humboldt State
Cole Madison, Washington State
Chukwuma Okorafor, Western Michigan
Martinas Rankin, Mississippi State
Desmond Harrison, West Georgia
Brandon Parker, North Carolina A&T
Timon Parris, Stony Brook

Picking up either Chubb or Nelson in the 1st round and following that pick with the best available OT in the 2nd round would be about my dream start to the 2018 NFL draft regardless of what we end up doing in free agency. Pass Rush, O-Line and then ILB. Fix those are we are well on our way (assuming Luck returns) to being back in the playoff hunt again with a new coaching staff and offensive/defensive systems.

Walk Worthy,
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Discflinger (12-27-2017), DrSpaceman (12-27-2017), njcoltfan (12-27-2017), Puck (12-27-2017), Racehorse (12-27-2017), VeveJones007 (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 12:18 PM

Good info, especially since I don't follow college football much

This is complicated by the fact there are rumbling of Rosen refusing to go to Cleveland.

I'd be fine with Chubb or Nelson as a top five pick, assuming the Colts are there. I'd prefer chubb, but I'd be fine with Nelson if he is that good. The Colts OL is horrible and has been for years, so anything to upgrade it I am good with, I don't care if its a guard at a top five pick. Just make the commitment to fix the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to DrSpaceman For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 12:56 PM
testcase448

Chubb, then o-line. Looks there may be some decent tackles in the second round.
Chubb makes the DBs and LBs better. OK not better but less vulnerable
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
Good info, especially since I don't follow college football much

This is complicated by the fact there are rumbling of Rosen refusing to go to Cleveland.

I'd be fine with Chubb or Nelson as a top five pick, assuming the Colts are there. I'd prefer chubb, but I'd be fine with Nelson if he is that good. The Colts OL is horrible and has been for years, so anything to upgrade it I am good with, I don't care if its a guard at a top five pick. Just make the commitment to fix the problem.
They've been committed to fixing the oline the last 5 years. The problem is the scouts, coaches, and GM don't have a clue what a good O linemen is. How many turds did they draft the last 5 years.

They should be drafting 0 skill positions this off season. We need trenches and LBs - that's what wins championships.

If they trade down they can go fk themselves. We needs studs not projects or reaches.

If pags and all the other coaches are still here in 10 days none of this will matter anyway.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:09 PM

Thanked 4,374 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonTails View Post
They've been committed to fixing the oline the last 5 years. The problem is the scouts, coaches, and GM don't have a clue what a good O linemen is. How many turds did they draft the last 5 years.

They should be drafting 0 skill positions this off season. We need trenches and LBs - that's what wins championships.

If they trade down they can go fk themselves. We needs studs not projects or reaches.

If pags and all the other coaches are still here in 10 days none of this will matter anyway.
I mostly agree. However, if you can trade down and get two first round studs, then why not?
Old 12-27-2017, 02:36 PM

Thanked 1,195 Times in 527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
I mostly agree. However, if you can trade down and get two first round studs, then why not?
The issue being current year picks or future year picks.

If you are okay with future year picks, then our #3 pick (possible #2 pick) is probably worth two 1st round picks for anyone moving up more than about 4 spots. To go from, say, #9 to #3 would take both this year's first round pick (#9 overall), next year's first round pick and perhaps some lower round picks this year. Every team in the NFL could do that as no one has yet traded away their 2019 first round pick.

However, if you wanted multiple first round picks in 2017, then the only team that can do that is BUF as they have their own pick (currently #17) and KCs pick (unknown due to playoffs). To move that far up, they would have to trade three first round picks (both of this year's plus their 2018 first round pick) plus probably other picks as well.

We need help now. I don't love the idea of trading down to get future picks, honestly.

Walk Worthy,
The Following User Says Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 02:40 PM

Thanked 4,374 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
The issue being current year picks or future year picks.

If you are okay with future year picks, then our #3 pick (possible #2 pick) is probably worth two 1st round picks for anyone moving up more than about 4 spots. To go from, say, #9 to #3 would take both this year's first round pick (#9 overall), next year's first round pick and perhaps some lower round picks this year. Every team in the NFL could do that as no one has yet traded away their 2019 first round pick.

However, if you wanted multiple first round picks in 2017, then the only team that can do that is BUF as they have their own pick (currently #17) and KCs pick (unknown due to playoffs). To move that far up, they would have to trade three first round picks (both of this year's plus their 2018 first round pick) plus probably other picks as well.

We need help now. I don't love the idea of trading down to get future picks, honestly.

Walk Worthy,
Yeah, I realized after I posted it that we would not likely get two firsts, but possibly a first and a second in this year's draft.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:29 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

I don't watch enough CFB to have my own opinions, but it does strike me that I haven't really ever seen Chubb discussed/written about like I saw Garrett or Clowney or Von Miller etc. Maybe I just haven't seen the right discussions, but I do wonder how much Chubb is really a top 3 player on talent vs a top 3 player because edge-rushers are valued.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoBigBlue88 For This Useful Post:
Puck (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 04:55 PM

Thanked 4,284 Times in 1,751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
I don't watch enough CFB to have my own opinions, but it does strike me that I haven't really ever seen Chubb discussed/written about like I saw Garrett or Clowney or Von Miller etc. Maybe I just haven't seen the right discussions, but I do wonder how much Chubb is really a top 3 player on talent vs a top 3 player because edge-rushers are valued.
the little i have watched of him didnt really stand out. he doesn't seem to have a great get off. i just don't see the athleticism. but i haven't watched much and i am no expert.

i mainly want the position right now. i just don't want to come away without an elite type pass rusher when we suffered through the nonsense of this season.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post

Last year, Garrett was talked about a lot because there were really no bonafide QBs projected in the first 10 draft choices. This year, there's likely to be 3, maybe even 4 in the top 10 choices. They get the lion's share of the ink.
The Following User Says Thank You to albany ed For This Useful Post:
FatDT (12-27-2017)