ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-22-2018, 07:09 PM

Thanked 1,655 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I don't think Ballard has said he will build only thru the draft. It is his primary way and I think we all would agree that your core usually comes thru the draft. I understand how you come down on the side that Ballard will just sit on all this money but I disagree. It makes sense to me to wait until you know what you can address thru the draft before bringing in guys. As far as this being a slow way to build a team, I disagree. I don't think that bringing in 3-4 free agents last year would speed up this rebuild one bit. Can you name one team that was able to build a Super Bowl winner thru free agency. Free agents might make us an average team faster, but the object of this rebuild is Super Bowl wins. I for one am sick of one and done and making the playoff on the shoulders of one player. This is, in my mind, exactly what we should be doing right now. To be clear, I think we should and will spend some money next year.
That’s exactly what Grigson did: signed a bunch of free agents, made us a playoff team real fast, but a team with a mercenary culture that fizzled into mediocrity after a few years. When the struggles started, there was no team, just some guys ready to jump ship for greener pastures. You need a culture where guys are invested in being a Colt.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HoosierinFL For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (10-22-2018), sherck (10-23-2018), YDFL Commish (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 07:36 PM

Thanked 4,282 Times in 1,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusChrist View Post
Anyone calling for Ballard to be fired anytime soon are just ridiculously impatient.
Say we are 6-10 this year and next with a healthy Luck? Would that be acceptable? I don’t think so.

I also don’t think that will happen but we got beat pretty easily by the jets
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Spike (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 08:08 PM

Thanked 2,236 Times in 1,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Say we are 6-10 this year and next with a healthy Luck? Would that be acceptable? I don’t think so.

I agree on next season, but there are a lot of reasons this team has struggled early this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Butter For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 09:35 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Gimme a break - you're talking about showing Ballard the door? Why, because he's improved virtually every facet of this team while saving tons of cap space for the future? What would you have done differently? Please be specific with player names.

Let me list for you the things he's done off the top of my head in the short time he's been here:

2017 Draft - Using an inherited scouting staff, and on short notice, still picked up three starters (Hooker, Mack, Walker), three backups (Wilson, Hairston, Stewart). Two ugly misses (Basham and Banner), but unlike most he didn't keep them around making the situation worse in the hope of saving face. When all is said and done, most teams will have at least two ugly misses in any given draft. Ballard just acknowledged his sooner than most.

2018 Draft - Nearly every pick has made serious contributions, except Lewis/Cain (injured) and Fountain (practice squad). I doubt any other team had a better batting average. Seven games in and we already have two high level starters (Nelson and Leonard) from this draft.

2018 free agency - Signed Ebron, Autry and Miller to cap friendly deals. Jury still out on Grant. Struck out on Howard, but again damage was small ($1-2 million) and cut bait quickly to minimize damage.

Traded for Jacoby Brissett in exchange for an underperforming WR from the prior regime (Dorsett)

Cut/traded multiple mediocre vets (Hankins/Anderson/Simon) in favor of much cheaper youth that are now outperforming those vets.

Kept several vets who have performed at or above their contracts (Hunt, Woods, Sheard, Desir), while not resigning others who are now disappointments with their new teams (Melvin, Moncrief)

Rebuilt two critical areas (offensive line and linebackers) into a strength, after years (and years) of underperformance.

Utilized team-friendly contract structures which incentivized performance and gave the team the flexibility to move on without consequence if things didn't work out.

Jettisoned Pagano, brought in Reich and new coaching staff. Notable embarrassment when McDaniels reneged on informal agreement, but Ballard accepted blame and rebounded well in getting Reich.

Jettisoned multiple failed draft picks/projects from the prior regime (TJ Green, Dorsett, Bond, George)

Those are the things I can think of off of the top of my head. The bottom line is that most of his moves have improved this team, and those that haven't didn't cause much damage. And you're talking about getting rid of this guy?
Fair enough, great points. I guess I am a little impatient and tired of wasting all of Luck's years. Colts have a lot of cap space and hopefully they use some of that money next year. I do love his draft this year.
Colts And Orioles (01-21-2019)
Old 10-22-2018, 10:54 PM

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,198 Posts

Quote:

Not going to happen. This team is still learning how to win. If we beat Oakland and do it without making critical mistakes, then this team may have finally turned the corner, of at least not beating themselves.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:19 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:

A year and a half isn’t “soon” in the NFL.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:20 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Not going to happen. This team is still learning how to win. If we beat Oakland and do it without making critical mistakes, then this team may have finally turned the corner, of at least not beating themselves.
The Colts will win the division next year, so I’m not even playing out a 6-10 2019 scenario.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:03 AM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:

We are in year 2 of a rebuild, the first year of that rebuild where Ballard had his own scouting info to go by on the draft,a competent coaching staff to work with, and new offensive and defensive schemes.

If you didn't expect this year and possibly next to be rebuild years, then you aren't looking at things realistically. They even told you it would be a multi year process.

Ballard had a solid draft this year. It's possible with the weak division that with another solid draft and him ramping up FA spending that we could compete next year.

I'm not ready to axe the guy though because in a clear rebuild year that's exactly what we're seeing.

You've been a Ballard hater though, so it's not surprising that you are reacting how you are.

Last edited by Maniac; 10-23-2018 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:07 AM

Thanked 4,282 Times in 1,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusChrist View Post
We are in year 2 of a rebuild, the first year of that rebuild where Ballard had his own scouting info to go by on the draft,a competent coaching staff to work with, and new offensive and defensive schemes.

If you didn't expect this year and possibly next to be rebuild years, then you aren't looking at things realistically. They even told you it would be a multi year process.

Ballard had a solid draft this year. It's possible with the weak division that with another solid draft and him ramping up FA spending that we could compete next year.

I'm not ready to axe the guy though because in a clear rebuild year that's exactly what we're seeing.

You've been a Ballard hater though, so it's not surprising that you are reacting how you are.
We have Andrew luck and play in a shitty division. That is the reality. Competing and winning this division should t take long at all.

I don’t hate Ballard. I just disagree with some of the moves. Or non moves. Taking 3 years to be competitive with a great qb is nonsense
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
rm1369 (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 06:42 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:

I think we should all get a grip and wait for the end of this season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (01-21-2019), Racehorse (10-23-2018)