ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-05-2019, 08:48 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,610 Times in 2,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I hope Ballard knows what he is doing with the IDL, I hate how light it is getting and I think McCoy is better than our current 3-techs, but the money is not being left on the table and it can affect future contracts since it rolls forward. It isn't use it or lose it.
Generally I think Ballard is doing a great job. But if I had a criticism of him, it’s that he is reactive not preemptive when it comes to roster deficiencies. Year one, doesn’t do enough to fix the oline even though everyone knew it was a problem. Year two, doesn’t do enough for the pass rush even though everyone knew it was an issue. Is year three the interior dline?

True it does roll over. But are they just going to roll it over every year? Will they constantly be 40 50 60 million under the cap? I like signing our own guys but, does that mean we have to have 50 million in unused cap every year? Leonard’s class is still three years away. Teams that have talent rookie QBs try to max their window till that big contract comes. We have two all-pro rookies, a McCoy signing is not going to break the bank.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Colt Classic (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 08:57 PM

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,198 Posts

At the end of the day, I have to believe that Ballard did not believe that McCoy was just not going to improve the defense enough to make the commitment.

I doubt that $$$ even played into it. Strictly a football decision. We can all debate whether or not we believe that McCoy would have improved the Colts defense...and sure that's fun to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 08:58 PM

Thanked 4,373 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
At the end of the day, I have to believe that Ballard did not believe that McCoy was just not going to improve the defense enough to make the commitment.

I doubt that $$$ even played into it. Strictly a football decision. We can all debate whether or not we believe that McCoy would have improved the Colts defense...and sure that's fun to do.
/thread
Old 06-05-2019, 09:29 PM

Thanked 2,236 Times in 1,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Classic View Post
It also isn't save it to pat one's self on the back in the name of a long-term plan when you're only talking about a one year contract.
That makes no sense
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butter For This Useful Post:
Chaka (06-06-2019), Racehorse (06-06-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 10:09 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,608 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Generally I think Ballard is doing a great job. But if I had a criticism of him, it’s that he is reactive not preemptive when it comes to roster deficiencies. Year one, doesn’t do enough to fix the oline even though everyone knew it was a problem. Year two, doesn’t do enough for the pass rush even though everyone knew it was an issue. Is year three the interior dline?

True it does roll over. But are they just going to roll it over every year? Will they constantly be 40 50 60 million under the cap? I like signing our own guys but, does that mean we have to have 50 million in unused cap every year? Leonard’s class is still three years away. Teams that have talent rookie QBs try to max their window till that big contract comes. We have two all-pro rookies, a McCoy signing is not going to break the bank.
Clearly the answer is to just draft two all pro rookies every year. Problem solved.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:09 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,610 Times in 2,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Clearly the answer is to just draft two all pro rookies every year. Problem solved.
Well obviously.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:19 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I hope Ballard knows what he is doing with the IDL, I hate how light it is getting and I think McCoy is better than our current 3-techs, but the money is not being left on the table and it can affect future contracts since it rolls forward. It isn't use it or lose it.
They want them light. Look at the young QBs in the NFL right now, you need to be able to catch them. How many teams line up with a full back and run power football? How many teams play more in shotgun/pistol/throw formation?

Big fat guys can't push the pocket. This is the Dungy D and they are going to line up in a gap and go. With the guys they had last year, they had both DT's in the A gaps. Makes 3 guys defend 2. Sure can't trap block with the C if they do that.

I get what you are saying. But the NFL offenses are not as they were 5 years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 10:46 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

If you rooted for the Colts during the Dungy era it's hard not to be concerned about a small team. This team seems different in that the players don't seem 'small' just light. They have length and are solid muscular men. Speed and quickness are their main trait. I think Jaff got it right, it's a different NFL offense this defense will be called upon to stop. Hope we get it right.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
JAFF (06-06-2019), Racehorse (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Classic View Post
The only correct answer to Chaka's circular argument is to just assume that who is currently on the roster is the best now and in the future. Anyone else on the market is at best a coin flip that likely adds nothing to the team. McCoy was going to get a one year contract which MEANS NOTHING to anything related to the future cap space. You could pay the man 30 million dollars and still be flush with cap space that all comes back next year since his contract would be finished, but since it takes snaps from the good enough gang and might upset one of them to the point of not re-signing here when their contract is up, the whole idea of bringing McCoy in is, in Chaka's world, a foolish notion.

When you have as much cap space as the Colts have AND you have Andrew Luck, every year should be a year in which you are going for it. Fine, McCoy didn't even have us as a legitimate option, but to summarily dismiss the idea that he could help the team? Unacceptable.

Finally, Chaka's zero-sum argument is acceptable as long as he can also go along with the idea that an 8-sack season from Houston doesn't make it a good signing if he is a complete non-factor in a playoff loss where the opposing QB had all day in the pocket.
Dude, I’m honestly having a difficult time following what you’re saying. What is “circular” about what I’ve said? In no way does Ballard’s approach mean that you don’t sign any outside free agents or that they can’t improve your team. It’s only that you rarely find VALUE in the high end or big name free agents when you consider their contract price. That money would be better spent signing your own players who: (1) you are more familiar with, (2) have proven themselves in your schemes, and (3) provide team continuity, identity and character.

Do you ever consider the fact that the best players rarely reach free agency? They are resigned by their teams. The vast majority of the free agents are players that their former teams didn’t want at the price they’d command on the open market (i.e. the same price you’d have the Colts pay). And yes, I know that every team is different, and because a player doesn’t fit with his original team doesn’t mean he won’t fit with the Colts, but what I’ve said is true of a overwhelming majority of free agents.

And I think that its far more likely that a free agent will underperform rather than overperform. That likelihood is compounded when you are signing a guy who’s already on the downside of his career, like McCoy. Add to that the uncertainty that is created when you ask a player to move to an entirely new team/scheme - an uncertainty that doesn’t exist, by the way, when you sign your own free agents. In short, spending money on your own players isn’t exciting, but it will likely yield far better returns than spending money on outside free agents. If you maximize value, the wins will come.

All of this boils down to the fact that everyone’s typically happy when the free agent is signed, but usually will end up feeling buyer’s remorse. Given this, I’ve liked Ballard’s free agent approach – mining the middle and lower tier free agents for value, and with a much smaller downside.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:10 PM

Image post FAIL. It looked so easy. If you like Dilbert, you would have appreciated it.

Last edited by Discflinger; 06-06-2019 at 01:13 PM.