ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2018, 11:47 AM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts
Default Hooker and the defense

So i went back the last few days and did a rewatch of a few games. Just to see at this point in the year, what coverages we were using the most and how Hooker was playing. I didn't find anything profound. pretty much saw what i thought i would.

i kept track of what coverage we were running on a very basic level. either single high or two deep. i didn't really concern myself with what the backers were doing underneath. i did try to distinguish the few times we would go to a cover 6 or cover 4 or something else but we really don't do that much.

VS Phins

-started the game mostly single high. tendency is that we will run a single high between the 20's and get into a cover 2 in the red zone. that was pretty true throughout the game although we did go to cover 2 at times in between the 20s.

-so throughout most of the game, hooker did nothing. not that it is bad. but he just doesn't do anything. did note that while 2 deep, qb draw up the middle and geathers sees it and starts forward to stop tannehill and hooker is still backpedalling. mitchell as well. they get downhill faster than hooker.

- as the game goes on, they aren't challenging deep. so hooker still has nothing to do. which is fine. everything is going underneath.

- on the play where wilson almost gets the pick, that was hookers guy. colts looked to be in cover 6. which is quarter, quarter, half coverage. so wilson and hooker were the half duo. meaning it was like a cover 2 to their side. '

wilson gets depth in his drop and notices nobody was in his zone and shows good awareness to see the wr over the top. he makes a great play on the ball. hooker had good enough coverage that he was either going to knock the ball down or make it be a perfect throw. if wilson doesn't get there, i believe hooker would have defended the pass. although i think that is an int hooker should ideally make there. good play all around though.

- wr screen at one point on 6th drive and hooker seems hesitant to mix it up. looked like he was nervous about all the bodies around. like he is protecting an injury or unsure of himself. that was my note

- td before half, i have no idea what coverage they were in. looked like man but seemed like confusion. which is unusual for the colts.

-made his 1st real tackle in the 3rd quarter i think. that is how much action he doesn't see.

- gore breaks tackles and gets to sideline. hooker looks slow getting there. just doesn't appear to be running right. seems like there is something wrong. which makes sense because he has been missing practice time and game time.

more to come
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
1965southpaw (12-02-2018), chicagocolt (12-06-2018), Chromeburn (12-02-2018), FatDT (12-01-2018), HoosierinFL (12-01-2018), nate505 (12-01-2018), Racehorse (12-01-2018), smitty46953 (12-01-2018), Spike (12-01-2018), YDFL Commish (12-01-2018)