ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 11-27-2019, 03:35 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,247 Times in 1,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post

Colts and Orioles. I said that they spent years trying to get a franchise qb, and were shit.I did not say all those years had anything to do with getting Manning. By shit I meant that they did not play any games that meant a damn thing after the first month or so of the season. Those were not fun teams to root for. The most exciting day of the year was draft day, I still have years of Pro Football draft digests to prove it. I don't want to go down that rabbit hole again. Obviously I would like to improve our qb play but not at the expense of the rest of the team. By that I mean not going all in for a qb that may or may not be a franchise guy by giving up a lot of assets to get him. By assets I mean draft assets ie picks.

o

OK, but your sentence read that way.

Thanks for clarifying what you you meant to say.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 11-27-2019, 03:47 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

The Colts had 6 losing seasons in that period between 1984 and 1996.

The Colts were the laughingstock from 1984 through 1986, when they won a total of 12 games (and lost 36.) The Eric Dickerson during the 1987 season trade changed that, and it showed in their record. I don't see going 9-6 with a division title, 9-7, and 8-8 as "shit."

I suppose that we have different definitions of "shit." For me, there was a significant difference between the 1984-1986 teams (that went a combined 12-36), the 1991 and 1993 teams (that went a combined 5-27), and the other teams between 1984 and 1996 that went .500 or better (except for the 7-9 1990 team.)

o
o

That said, I do acknowledge that those .500 or better teams between 1987 and 1996 were a long way from being the perennial contenders that they were with Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck for almost every season between 1999 and 2018. In almost all of those Manning/Luck seasons I could at least dream of a Super Bowl appearance, while the only time that I had that in the pre-Manning/post-Baltimore years was 1995 and 1996 ........ and just a bit in 1987 when I saw an immediate transformation with the Dickerson trade.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 11-27-2019, 08:40 PM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

Quote:
o

That said, I do acknowledge that those .500 or better teams between 1987 and 1996 were a long way from being the perennial contenders that they were with Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck for almost every season between 1999 and 2018. In almost all of those Manning/Luck seasons I could at least dream of a Super Bowl appearance, while the only time that I had that in the pre-Manning/post-Baltimore years was 1995 and 1996 ........ and just a bit in 1987 when I saw an immediate transformation with the Dickerson trade.

o
I don't intend to argue with you. You can look at the numbers on paper and come up with whatever you want, but I lived through those years in Indianapolis and surrounding areas and those were not good years. I think the majority of Colts fans would agree with me. And personally, no, I don't consider fighting to finish 8-8 every year as "good". Eric Dickerson never wanted to be here and didn't do all that much either.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:11 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylok View Post

I don't intend to argue with you. You can look at the numbers on paper and come up with whatever you want, but I lived through those years in Indianapolis and surrounding areas and those were not good years. I think the majority of Colts fans would agree with me. And personally, no, I don't consider fighting to finish 8-8 every year as "good". Eric Dickerson never wanted to be here and didn't do all that much either.

o

I don't want to argue with you either.

To say that Dickerson didn't do all that much when he was hear is absurd. They immediately went from being the worst team the league to winning a division title, largely because of him. It's not a coincidence that the Colts went 12-36 in the 3 years before he arrived, and then went 26-21 in his first 3 seasons with the team.

I also don't consider 8-8 to be a good season, but rather a mediocre season.

o

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 11-27-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:25 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
o

I don't want to argue with you either.

To say that Dickerson didn't do all that much when he was hear is absurd. They immediately went from being the worst team the league to winning a division title, largely because of him. It's not a coincidence that the Colts went 12-36 in the 3 years before he arrived, and then went 26-21 in his first 3 seasons with the team.

I also don't consider 8-8 to be a good season, but rather a mediocre season.

o
The view from Baltimore must have been nice. Bc people had little excitement about the team till Harbaugh almost took them to a SB. Sitting through the Emtman draft disaster, Jeff George disaster. It was an endless cycle of almost, then mediocre, then bad again. I don’t remember anyone even being remotely excited about Dickerson, he certainly wasn’t excited about being here. Manning finally turned it into a football state.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 11-27-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:41 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post

The view from Baltimore must have been nice. Bc people had little excitement about the team till Harbaugh almost took them to a SB. Sitting through the Emtman draft disaster, Jeff George disaster. It was an endless cycle of almost, then mediocre, then bad again. I don’t remember anyone even being remotely excited about Dickerson, he certainly wasn’t excited about being here. Manning finally turned it into a football state.

o

I'm not from Baltimore.

o

Old 12-01-2019, 06:08 PM
Historian

o

(vs. TITANS, 12/01)

Brissett was awful in the 2nd half after the Colts built of 17-7 lead on its (the 2nd half's) opening drive.

The Titans were getting a lot of pressure on him, but several of his decisions were terrible ........ he wilted badly in crunch time.

o

Old 01-17-2020, 07:52 AM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Thinking about Brissett's leadership, does his leadership take a hit when he either doesn't see open WRs, or sees them and doesn't make a throw that is even close to accurate?

I was in the JB camp early on when he was scoring and not turning the ball over, but after the injury, he wasn't close to the same player. Can he get back to there and improve?

I don't want to bash the guy, because he is a Colt, but where is his ceiling? Has he reached it?
Colts And Orioles (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 09:46 AM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post

Thinking about Brissett's leadership, does his leadership take a hit when he either doesn't see open WRs, or sees them and doesn't make a throw that is even close to accurate?

I was in the JB camp early on when he was scoring and not turning the ball over, but after the injury, he wasn't close to the same player. Can he get back to there and improve?

I don't want to bash the guy, because he is a Colt, but where is his ceiling? Has he reached it?

o

Good questions, particularly the reference regarding his injury ........ perhaps that was part of the reason for his (and the team's) demise over the final 9 games of the seasons after the promising 5-2 start over the first 7.

o

Old 01-17-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post

I think he still has some room for improvement and I think he can deliver a lot of games like early in the season - with good OL and WR play. The problem is that I don’t believe he can elevate those around him like a great QB can. I like the guy and am rooting for him, but it doesn’t look like he has “it”. He may be able to improve his vision and reads, I just think his ceiling is basically as a system QB. Very rarely is his play going to elevate the team to a win. That makes it hard to have consistent success, especially against good teams (playoffs).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
kitekrazy (01-19-2020), rcubed (01-17-2020)