ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-23-2021, 08:59 AM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts
Default Quick Thought on the Win Over the Bills

o

Thought ....... singular ...... and since nobody else started one of these threads, which have essentially been a weekly ritual here on ColtFreaks.

1) ) Perhaps the biggest play of the game was when Carson Wentz somehow managed to escape what looked to be a sure sack on 3rd and 10 in the 2nd quarter, and instead ran 18 yards for the first down.

At the time, many Colts fans ...... myself included ...... were having the proverbial Groundhog Day feeling of "Oh, no, here we go again." At the time of this very pivotal play, the Colts were clinging to what felt like a very precarious 14-7 lead. What happened was that they had jumped out to a 14-0 lead, but then allowed the Bills to score a touchdown to cut the deficit to 14-7. On their next possession, the Colts were looking at 3rd-and-10, and the very real possibility of having to give the ball right back to the Bills. After fading back in the pocket, Mario Addison appeared to have Wentz dead to rights for a sack. At that point, many Colts fans (again, myself included) were feeling like, "Oh, no ...... please let's not see a repeat of what happened in the Titans game, the Ravens game, and so many other Colts games in recent history in which they failed to deliver the knockout punch after taking a big early advantage, and subsequently allowed the opponent to come storming back."

But that feeling of dread quickly subsided when Wentz somehow managed to duck underneath Addison, run straight ahead for an 18-yard gain, and get the 1st down. Instead of having to punt the ball back to the Bills, the Colts were now within field goal range. Michael Badgley wound up booting a 36-yard field to increase the Colts' lead to 17-7. The special teams then immediately recovered a fumble at the Bills' 2 yard-line on the ensuing kickoff, Jonathan Taylor punched the ball into the end zone on the first play from scrimmage to give his team a commanding 24-7 lead, and the Colts never looked back after that.

THE VIDEO: ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoyJLJ8Gu8s

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 11-23-2021 at 09:53 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
albany ed (11-24-2021), apballin (11-23-2021), Chaka (11-23-2021), CletusPyle (11-23-2021), Racehorse (11-23-2021), Spike (11-23-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 10:01 AM

Agreed - definitely a big play that changed the momentum of the game. For such a large guy, Wentz has impressive escapability skills.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (11-23-2021), Spike (11-23-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 02:53 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,663 Times in 2,048 Posts

No criticism from me. We basically saw what they can do if they play a perfect game and everything goes their way. Refreshing for a change.

We will see what the Bucs and pats do soon. I think the Bucs have a great run D. Fast linebackers behind a big dline. And you know belicheat will want to take away Taylor. It’s what they do, take away the number one option.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (11-23-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 08:01 AM

I agree that was a pivotal play. I hope that they spend this weeks' practice working on their pass blocking. It has been poor all year long. I'd really like to see the passing game when Wentz has as much time as Brady does.
Racehorse (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
No criticism from me. We basically saw what they can do if they play a perfect game and everything goes their way. Refreshing for a change.

We will see what the Bucs and pats do soon. I think the Bucs have a great run D. Fast linebackers behind a big dline. And you know belicheat will want to take away Taylor. It’s what they do, take away the number one option.
If stopping Taylor was that easy, someone would have done it by now. We have enough deep shots on tape for any team to have to respect the pass at least a bit against us. If you completely sell out and stack the box, Frank clearly no problem going pass happy. Hell, he will do it if the box isn't stacked.
The only thing that has remotely slowed down Taylor this year is Reich when he chooses not to feature JT.
Point being: RTDB at all costs, until someone can prove they can stop it. JT is a game changer
The Following User Says Thank You to MeSayDayo For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 10:58 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

The improvement on pass defense on this team is significant. We are getting some push with the pass rush also. If these trends continue we have a shot at not only making the playoffs but of having a deep run. I'm not all that worried about the offense. The line is playing much better. The win over Buffalo gave me some hope. Beat Tampa and hope starts to turn into belief.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:52 PM

The pass rush has still been hugely inconsistent, Paye looks like he is improving, but i generally have little confidence that a 4 man rush is going to create much cause for concern for most offensive lines. I will predict we barely touch Brady this weekend, happy to be proven wrong and take him out of the game early with a monster collision from Dayo, Paye and Buckner. But Brady is generally too savvy to take the big hits.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukcolt For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 01:00 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcolt View Post
The pass rush has still been hugely inconsistent, Paye looks like he is improving, but i generally have little confidence that a 4 man rush is going to create much cause for concern for most offensive lines. I will predict we barely touch Brady this weekend, happy to be proven wrong and take him out of the game early with a monster collision from Dayo, Paye and Buckner. But Brady is generally too savvy to take the big hits.
I agree completely. I think I am seeing small improvements. Against Buffalo the line is that we were trying to keep Allen in the pocket so that is why we didn't go all out to sack him. If true then maybe we get pressure on Brady and that would make me a believer. Not there yet but last game gave me some hope.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:02 PM

I also noticed from the snap counts that Banogu got a few snaps in this game, rather than being inactive, wonder if he has turned the corner during practices in the week. He and Turay have barely done anything the last 4 or 5 games and firmly behind the likes of Muhammad, Paye and Odeyingbo, with even Rochell seeing more game time.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:06 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,663 Times in 2,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSayDayo View Post
If stopping Taylor was that easy, someone would have done it by now. We have enough deep shots on tape for any team to have to respect the pass at least a bit against us. If you completely sell out and stack the box, Frank clearly no problem going pass happy. Hell, he will do it if the box isn't stacked.
The only thing that has remotely slowed down Taylor this year is Reich when he chooses not to feature JT.
Point being: RTDB at all costs, until someone can prove they can stop it. JT is a game changer
I wonder how many times Colt fans have said “you can’t stop this offense” before playing the patriots? Until we actually beat them, I’ll refrain from agreeing. The jags defense slowed the offense down considerably and held them to one touchdown and 16 points overall.