ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-09-2021, 02:21 PM

Default Roster improvements 2022

It looks likes the colts will not have a first round pick in 2022 draft so the remaining rounds and free agency will have to be used to fill needs.

On offense. I see the colts re signing Eric Fisher to a 2 year deal to cover the left tackle position. Also I see Chris Reed or a draft pick replacing Glowinski. They need either Strachan or Patmon to step up at wide receiver. Parris Campbell cannot be counted on and Pascal and Dulin are not starters. T.Y Hilton is most likely gone. Maybe they draft another WR or sign a free agent. Tight end needs to be addressed with Doyle about done and Mo Allie Cox a free agent that will probably be re signed. Not sure about Kylen Granson.

On defense, Tyquan Lewis is most likely gone unless he signs a return from injury prove it deal. Dayo Odeyingbo may be the replacement. Kemoko Turay is not worth a new contract. Xavier Rhodes needs to be replaced at cornerback. A better linebacker than Franklin needs to found unless E.J Speed is the answer.

The roster is fairly young and needs a few additions and the colts could have a solid roster.

Feel free to add your thoughts.

Last edited by jasperhobbs; 11-09-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-09-2021, 06:48 PM

Thanked 4,404 Times in 2,531 Posts

First priority is defense, specifically CB and S. Then line depth on both sides and WR.

We are the fifth highest scoring team in the league, but are 11th in opponents scoring. Defense has to improve if we want to be a serious contender.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:03 PM

We need to draft DB's galore. I like Ya-Sin and Rodgers, along with Kenny Moore, but Rhodes has not been good this year, Carrie is unlikely to be resigned, we need 2 or 3 guys that are competing for the starting outside corner position.

Safety, Blackmon has been great, but will be coming off of a huge injury, Willis is a great in the box safety, but is a liability in coverage, everyone else to play safety so far this year for the Colts shouldn't be relied on to play defense next year. Odom can remain on the roster as the special teams ace, but he has yet to do anything of significance on defence yet. Can see we need to draft someone high to cover the potential loss of Blackmon, plus another guy.

Offense we need a receiver, who knows maybe we enter the Odell Beckham sweepstake (not sure how we afford that long term though). I do think Pascal and Dulin deserve to be on the roster, but at least one spot back from where they are playing now. I suspect Hilton is playing his final year in Indy. I am not quite ready to give up on Campbell yet (there have been some flashes of his ability), but he really does need to actually stay healthy.

The Oline, we need to resign Fisher, or else this becomes the No. 1 priority. The rest of the Oline i am comfortable with. Pinter and Reed can replace Glowinski assuming we don't resign him. Pryor has proven to be an adequate RT, certainly as a backup option. Health is the key here yet again.

The Dline, Banogu is already gone in my mind, Turay needs to prove himself throughout the remainder of this season and earn a new contract. The rookies will be the core to the pass rush. I would try to resign Lewis as the 4th guy. Muhammad is just a body who is serviceable, but is also part of the reason why we don't have a consistent pass rush. Interior we are good, Stewart, Buckner, Stallworth, are in the top 5 interior group in the NFL.

LB's i am happy to stand pat. Franklin, Speed and Adams are fine as depth.

TE's I would be happy to role with the same three guys, but it might be time to be thinking about replacing Doyle with a more dynamic receiving threat. That might turn out to be Gransen, but he has flattered to deceive so far this year. But TE is probably one of the hardest transitions from college to the pros. Kyle Pitts is just a beast and makes it look so easy.

RB's and QB's no need to mess around too much here.

So in summary we need 2 CB's, a Safety, WR and a TE either through free agency or the draft all of whom would need to see major playing time next year.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukcolt For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 10:17 PM

Thanked 2,641 Times in 1,556 Posts

I know IU sucks this year, but Micah McFadden is one hell of a football player...he plays LB at Indiana, but I could see him moving to S in the pros! Would love to see him as a Colt!
Old 11-09-2021, 10:37 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Until someone actually develops we need pass rushers.
Old 11-10-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcolt View Post
We need to draft DB's galore. I like Ya-Sin and Rodgers, along with Kenny Moore, but Rhodes has not been good this year, Carrie is unlikely to be resigned, we need 2 or 3 guys that are competing for the starting outside corner position.

Safety, Blackmon has been great, but will be coming off of a huge injury, Willis is a great in the box safety, but is a liability in coverage, everyone else to play safety so far this year for the Colts shouldn't be relied on to play defense next year. Odom can remain on the roster as the special teams ace, but he has yet to do anything of significance on defence yet. Can see we need to draft someone high to cover the potential loss of Blackmon, plus another guy.

Offense we need a receiver, who knows maybe we enter the Odell Beckham sweepstake (not sure how we afford that long term though). I do think Pascal and Dulin deserve to be on the roster, but at least one spot back from where they are playing now. I suspect Hilton is playing his final year in Indy. I am not quite ready to give up on Campbell yet (there have been some flashes of his ability), but he really does need to actually stay healthy.

The Oline, we need to resign Fisher, or else this becomes the No. 1 priority. The rest of the Oline i am comfortable with. Pinter and Reed can replace Glowinski assuming we don't resign him. Pryor has proven to be an adequate RT, certainly as a backup option. Health is the key here yet again.

The Dline, Banogu is already gone in my mind, Turay needs to prove himself throughout the remainder of this season and earn a new contract. The rookies will be the core to the pass rush. I would try to resign Lewis as the 4th guy. Muhammad is just a body who is serviceable, but is also part of the reason why we don't have a consistent pass rush. Interior we are good, Stewart, Buckner, Stallworth, are in the top 5 interior group in the NFL.

LB's i am happy to stand pat. Franklin, Speed and Adams are fine as depth.

TE's I would be happy to role with the same three guys, but it might be time to be thinking about replacing Doyle with a more dynamic receiving threat. That might turn out to be Gransen, but he has flattered to deceive so far this year. But TE is probably one of the hardest transitions from college to the pros. Kyle Pitts is just a beast and makes it look so easy.

RB's and QB's no need to mess around too much here.

So in summary we need 2 CB's, a Safety, WR and a TE either through free agency or the draft all of whom would need to see major playing time next year.
Ben Banogu was drafted way too early for a developmental prospect. However he may blossom on another team similar to Jerry Hughes although not that good.

The defensive line has potential to be awesome if Dayo and Kwity Paye develop. Dayo has loads of talent and Paye kind of reminds me of retired chiefs defensive end Tamba Hali. They have similar backgrounds and a high motor. I am surprised how good Paye is against the run. Often guys like him are pure pass rushers and so so at stopping the run.

As always it seems, the colts need secondary help and along with drafting players, might need to look at the free agency market for immediate help. I do like Rock Ya Sin, a healthy Blackmon and Kenny Moore. If the can land a solid cornerback, they should be in good shape. Of course a fierce pass rush would help matters immensely.

As far as the offensive line goes, even if they re sign Fisher which I think they will, they need to draft a long term replacement.

Ballard has put together a solid roster overall.
The Following User Says Thank You to jasperhobbs For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 11:24 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,059 Posts

Wide receiver. It’s one of the toughest positions to fill and you need to spend high picks on one the odds are just better. We have spent tons of draft capital on the defense. Other areas need attention. You want another pass rusher use FA. Find a guy you can pair with Pittman and the offense should be set for awhile. Spend some later picks on secondary depth and development. They will probably go defense again in 2023 anyway.

Cambell can’t be depended on and TY is done. No one else on the team is a WR 2 or can create separation. You need more than one wr today.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 11-10-2021 at 04:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
CanuckColt (11-13-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 02:29 PM

It’s pretty obvious where the weaknesses on the team are - pass rush, secondary, and WR are the glaring needs. TE becomes a question mark and LT depends on how they handle Fisher. The key to me is what you see the rest of the year from Paye and Dayo. If there is reason for optimism then next year is the start of a realistic window and Ballard needs to actually fill holes with guys who can compete - not just rookies. He actually needs to use FA to get COMPETENT level guys at WR and in the secondary. I’m not suggesting breaking the bank on the top guys. I’m saying not having to rely on 2nd - 4th round drafts picks to immediately cover glaring holes. Then use the draft to take BPA at anything other than RB or QB. Preferably CB or WR but I don’t want to see that be the only option for filling the glaring holes. Ballard has acquired a decent amount of high quality talent. He needs to now assemble a team capable of truly competing. Those are different things.

If Paye and Dayo don’t show reason for optimism then the only thing that matters is finding a pass rush somewhere. That may require drastic steps. But you aren’t winning anything without one.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:08 PM

This makes missing (apparently) on Marvel Tell and then Shawn Davis this year sting a little more. Was really excited seeing Davis' college highlights. And why can't Marvell make the game day roster with all the injuries???
Old 11-10-2021, 05:38 PM

Thanked 1,667 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
I know IU sucks this year, but Micah McFadden is one hell of a football player...he plays LB at Indiana, but I could see him moving to S in the pros! Would love to see him as a Colt!
I could see him as an in-the-box safety who does well in run support, but I don't see him with great coverage skills...so I'm not sure what he'd bring to this defense in terms of improving the secondary.
The Following User Says Thank You to HoosierinFL For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (11-13-2021)