ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-21-2019, 03:23 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
I hope not
I'm pretty sure Ballard will go DL/EDGE at 26 and 34, but I think anything from WR, CB, SS, OL will be fair game for that late 2nd.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:26 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Because of the high pick used on a CB or the players?
Omaha wants to build the trenches, but I'll push back on not considering CB at 2.26 because here's what you would have on both lines:

OL:
3 1st rounders
1 high 2nd rounder
Glow

DL:
1 1st rounder (incl #26)
3 2nd rounders (incl #34)
Sheard
Autry
UFA?

At some point you run out of roster spots. 2.26 will be BPA at WR, CB, SS, etc.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:39 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,615 Times in 2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Omaha wants to build the trenches, but I'll push back on not considering CB at 2.26 because here's what you would have on both lines:

OL:
3 1st rounders
1 high 2nd rounder
Glow

DL:
1 1st rounder (incl #26)
3 2nd rounders (incl #34)
Sheard
Autry
UFA?

At some point you run out of roster spots. 2.26 will be BPA at WR, CB, SS, etc.
I don't think they will spend their first round on CB. But I think they will consider their 2nd rounders for it, 3rd and 4th also. Those guys I listed are 2nd to 3rd rounders I think.

A lot still depends on what happens in FA.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:39 PM

Thanked 4,284 Times in 1,751 Posts

Quote:
Because of the high pick used on a CB or the players?
The pick. Cb just isn’t that important right now. We have some talent there if we bring back desir. And we should.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:29 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
I bet one of our first 3 picks will be a corner. Byron Murphy, Traveon Mullen, Rock-Ya Sin, Joejuan Williams. Can see us getting one of those guys.
Moore, Desir, and Wilson all had some stand-out performances last year, with an overachieving group of no-names on the DL. The only front 7 (6, most of the time) star we have is Leonard. Improving the DL gives our corners more opportunities to make plays.

On the other hand, we also played some bad QBs last year. This year we'll play Matt Ryan, Patrick Mahomes, Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, and Ben Roethlisberger. So the corners will be challenged in a way they weren't until the 2nd round of the playoffs. So assuming we re-sign Desir, addressing the DBs with a 2nd or 3rd round pick seems like a fine thing to do this year if the value is there.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:51 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
The pick. Cb just isn’t that important right now. We have some talent there if we bring back desir. And we should.
If we bring back Desir I agree. Still waiting to see how FA breaks this year. They sign a Lawrence and Jarret then our DL needs go down. The only position I don't think they will use those top three picks on is WR.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:56 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
Moore, Desir, and Wilson all had some stand-out performances last year, with an overachieving group of no-names on the DL. The only front 7 (6, most of the time) star we have is Leonard. Improving the DL gives our corners more opportunities to make plays.

On the other hand, we also played some bad QBs last year. This year we'll play Matt Ryan, Patrick Mahomes, Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, and Ben Roethlisberger. So the corners will be challenged in a way they weren't until the 2nd round of the playoffs. So assuming we re-sign Desir, addressing the DBs with a 2nd or 3rd round pick seems like a fine thing to do this year if the value is there.
Got Hairston still in there who had a sophomore slump but a guy I'm still high on. I like the group we have, but secondary can always use an injection of talent.

Pass rush and DL is still top priority as the team stands and I think they will address it high and a couple times. But from rounds 2-4 I can see a CB in there or possibly a safety as the team is currently constructed.

Another guy is Chauncy Gardner Johnson of Florida, I think he can play CB and S. That versatility is useful in a nickle DB.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 02:56 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
If he is asking $15m a year, then based on his history and physical abilities, he is probably out of our price range. With only one year of starter quality performance, he is probably more of a $9 - $12m a year guy instead of higher than that.

I would love to retain him because you cannot have too many solid / good CBs. But let's not all of a sudden believe he is a top ten CB. He is good, not great and if he is asking a "great" price.....

Walk Worthy,
Maybe a 1 year prove it deal. At 27 he probably would like some long term security. Might be his last contract. Hope we do keep him though. I think Ballard will reward him if he qualifies as one of those guys he thinks deserves a contract and improves the locker room.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:05 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I keep thinking about how I felt about the corner back situation going into last year. I want us to sign Desir.

I am for continuing to stock line man, both defensive and offensive. We have enough holes that Ballard should be able to almost always draft the best available player.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:43 PM

Thanked 4,284 Times in 1,751 Posts

Desir was on Sirius and sounds like he really wants to be back.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
JAFF (02-23-2019), Racehorse (02-22-2019), smitty46953 (02-22-2019)