ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 03-21-2019, 02:12 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts
Default Ballard Radio Interview 3/21/2019

https://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/jef...-offseason-nfl

On Free Agency:
-Colts thought there were some good players on the market, but they felt the price points were too high compared to what they felt the players would give them.
-Would be happy to pay big for a "true difference maker" in free agency.
-Colts feel more comfortable paying their own players. That isn't to say they aren't looking to add free agents, but the price has to be right.
-Happy to have Geathers, Glowinski, Desir, and Hunt back.

On Draft:
-They like the safety crop in the draft.

How do Colts make a jump to the level of KC or NE?
-Colts have a really young team. Players aren't at their ceilings yet. OL as an example: do we think Nelson and Smith are capped out?

On draft & development strategy vs other strategies like going hard for free agents:
-There's not necessarily a right or wrong, but draft & development is what they believe in and they're sticking to it.

On Devin Funchess:
-Really liked him when looking at him in KC. Liked his 3rd season a lot.
-Doesn't agree with people who say he's "slow."
-Only 24. Has upside. Likes his work ethic.

On Inman:
-They like Dontrelle a lot, but they're still working through some details in negotiations.

Does he try to build a team to beat KC or NE?
-No. He's trying to build a team so that other teams have to try and build a team to beat the Colts.
-Wants to be really good up front and get good QB play.
-Wants to learn how to not lose football games; felt they lost some games early last year via their own mistakes rather than being outmanned.

On pass rush:
-Needs to be a group effort. Wants to be able to rush four, but liked how Eberflus schemed pressure at times last year.
-Likes pressure up the middle.

How can Darius Leonard improve?
-Some things in pass coverage, he could get a little stronger.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (03-22-2019), Indiana V2 (03-21-2019), Lawrence Owen (03-22-2019), sherck (03-21-2019), smitty46953 (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Glad to hear still talking with Inman, like to see him back.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:02 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Interesting. They like pressure up the middle. They like the safety crop. So maybe a 3-tech in the first couple picks and a safety?

Dre’mont Jones is a good interior pass rusher. Tillery, maybe even Wilkins and Simmons.

I wonder if they would spend the 1st on Abrams?
Old 03-22-2019, 08:01 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Interesting. They like pressure up the middle. They like the safety crop. So maybe a 3-tech in the first couple picks and a safety?

Dre’mont Jones is a good interior pass rusher. Tillery, maybe even Wilkins and Simmons.

I wonder if they would spend the 1st on Abrams?
I wonder how they view the edge class. Some analysts see a big drop after the first few guys who should be long gone by 26, but there are some interesting names with 2nd/3rd round grades. I definitely think SS is in play at 26 or 34 if that’s how Ballard and Co see it.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:49 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
I wonder how they view the edge class. Some analysts see a big drop after the first few guys who should be long gone by 26, but there are some interesting names with 2nd/3rd round grades. I definitely think SS is in play at 26 or 34 if that’s how Ballard and Co see it.
I don’t know. Ballard likes A+ athletes and doesn’t put a high premium on technique and run defense. He figures that is the coaches job to teach those things. I think he does look at effort and pressure rate. Turay fits that, but Lewis is versatile and can move all over the line. Edge rusher is always a mine field, so hard to project and find one. It is not surprising he is using FA to supplement the position.

Jaylon Ferguson might fit that but need to see his pro day results since he was not allowed at the combine. Omenihu keeps popping up because he has prototypical size and good production. The other guys just won’t be there like Sweat and Allen. Don’t think Burns will be there either. That’s why I think it might be DT, grabbing Tillery or Jones. Possibly even Simmons and then a DE next.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 03-23-2019 at 11:26 AM.