ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-11-2018, 09:22 PM
FatDT FatDT is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,930
Thanks: 231
Thanked 776 Times in 352 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
The Jags had an average of 2.7 yds per run play. The DL did their job in that department.

The pass rush is another matter. Hunt has disappeared, Sheard's effort can't be denied, but he's not elite, in speed or moves...and yeah, he gets held a lot. Autry is offering nothing. Sad to say, but we need Turay back in a hurry.
They had some solid stops for a loss, but they also got moved out of the way for chunks of yardage at critical times.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-11-2018, 09:23 PM
YDFL Commish YDFL Commish is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Mt. Pleasant Wisconsin
Posts: 1,396
Thanks: 629
Thanked 585 Times in 299 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post

And Walker......you have to make that play on the fake punt.
He read the play...he made the play...he just let him get 1 foot to much. It happens. A Pagano coached team is totally unprepared for that play.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (11-11-2018), sherck (11-12-2018)
  #23  
Old 11-11-2018, 09:49 PM
Thorgrim's Avatar
Thorgrim Thorgrim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,315
Thanks: 152
Thanked 304 Times in 159 Posts
Default

Excellent observations as usual. Can you elaborate on point 6? Wondering what is fundamentally wrong and how you address it moving forward.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-11-2018, 09:56 PM
Colt Classic Colt Classic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The ledge, begging the GM to do something
Posts: 1,289
Thanks: 103
Thanked 229 Times in 144 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Sure the arrow is pointing up. I think the coaching is light years better. But we need more playmakers before we are going to compete with KC, LA, and NE.
The Bears were about as bad as the Colts were last year, but I don't think they could beat them. Probably a more relevant comparison than the other teams.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-11-2018, 09:59 PM
jasperhobbs jasperhobbs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Does Al Woods playy or is he hurt? Always thought he was a good run stopper.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-11-2018, 10:15 PM
GoBigBlue88 GoBigBlue88 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,154
Thanks: 104
Thanked 875 Times in 281 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
Excellent observations as usual. Can you elaborate on point 6? Wondering what is fundamentally wrong and how you address it moving forward.
Multi-faceted:

1. Their drop depth seems consistently off. 3rd-and-11, they'll drop to 15. There is no successful scheme that does that.

2. It's not a pure zone scheme. They play Cover 1 man maybe 5-10% of the game. Problem is, they are AWFUL in man coverage and show it from pre-snap. I think they disguised coverage effectively once today, but other than that, they tell you what they're going to do before the snap EVERY play.

And that MIGHT work if you have Freeney, Mathis, Sanders, Brackett etc. But I don't know if fans realize how rare it is to have the talent some of those 2005, 2007, 2009 Colts defenses had. You CAN play this scheme a bit when you have the talent those units had, but it takes YEARS of drafting extremely well. I don't know if the Colts have that timeline available with Luck.

3. The scheme largely renders its safeties irrelevant. No one is going to test Malik Hooker deep. It's not because they are scared of Hooker, but rather because there is no need to throw deep when the MOF or 10-15 yard comebacks are always automatically conceded.

It feels like they play 9 on 11 sometimes when they play a Cover-2 shell where safeties drop 20+ yards off the ball, and everyone else drops 10-15 off themselves. Why would any QB ever throw deep then?

4. Even if the DL was playing well for argument's sake (it wasn't, and Hunt and Autry have been irrelevant for weeks now), they wouldn't be disrupting anything because, like today, they allow these little RB leakout flares on a quick step drop that are no-brainers for QBs and gain at least 5-10 yards every time.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GoBigBlue88 For This Useful Post:
Chaka (11-12-2018), Colt Classic (11-11-2018), DrSpaceman (11-12-2018), Thorgrim (11-11-2018), YDFL Commish (11-12-2018)
  #27  
Old 11-11-2018, 11:37 PM
FatDT FatDT is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,930
Thanks: 231
Thanked 776 Times in 352 Posts
Default

Quote:
2. It's not a pure zone scheme. They play Cover 1 man maybe 5-10% of the game. Problem is, they are AWFUL in man coverage and show it from pre-snap. I think they disguised coverage effectively once today, but other than that, they tell you what they're going to do before the snap EVERY play.

And that MIGHT work if you have Freeney, Mathis, Sanders, Brackett etc. But I don't know if fans realize how rare it is to have the talent some of those 2005, 2007, 2009 Colts defenses had. You CAN play this scheme a bit when you have the talent those units had, but it takes YEARS of drafting extremely well. I don't know if the Colts have that timeline available with Luck.

3. The scheme largely renders its safeties irrelevant. No one is going to test Malik Hooker deep. It's not because they are scared of Hooker, but rather because there is no need to throw deep when the MOF or 10-15 yard comebacks are always automatically conceded.

It feels like they play 9 on 11 sometimes when they play a Cover-2 shell where safeties drop 20+ yards off the ball, and everyone else drops 10-15 off themselves. Why would any QB ever throw deep then?
These two points, especially #3, have been bothering me for weeks. I know Eberflus wasn’t here when Ballard picked Hooker. But Hooker is a unique talent and he’s being used stupidly. Imagine having a world class artist paint the outside of your house. Yeah, he can do it, but it’s a waste of his talents.

The deep drops past the 1st down line on 3rd and long are very frustrating. We used to do this shit back in the Dungy days and it was stupid back then too. Eberflus just doesn’t know what to do with his DBs yet. And he needs to figure it out because right now any QB outside of Derek Anderson on 3 days of practice can pick our bullshit zone apart and, as you said GBB, take our safeties out of the game. Why are we defending deep so carefully all the time but not trying to make a play on the ball on all the quick short throws?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
Colt Classic (11-12-2018)
  #28  
Old 11-12-2018, 12:07 AM
VeveJones007 VeveJones007 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,135
Thanks: 651
Thanked 499 Times in 283 Posts
Default

On #6, who was the premier pass rusher on the dominant Lovie Smith Bears defenses pre-Julius Peppers. Iíll hang up and listen for your answer.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-12-2018, 12:44 AM
Dam8610 Dam8610 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,537
Thanks: 38
Thanked 360 Times in 226 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
On #6, who was the premier pass rusher on the dominant Lovie Smith Bears defenses pre-Julius Peppers. Iíll hang up and listen for your answer.
Tommie Harris was, for a time, the 3 tech we all constantly dreamed of. They also had hall of fame freak off nature/MLB Brian Urlacher.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
i was wrong.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
sherck (11-12-2018)
  #30  
Old 11-12-2018, 02:09 AM
VeveJones007 VeveJones007 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,135
Thanks: 651
Thanked 499 Times in 283 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Tommie Harris was, for a time, the 3 tech we all constantly dreamed of. They also had hall of fame freak off nature/MLB Brian Urlacher.
Re-read #6. GBB specifically named edge rushers and said the D cannot work without a dominant edge. He’s right about a lot of things, but evidence shows that he overreached on #6.

Last edited by VeveJones007; 11-12-2018 at 02:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.