ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 11-06-2018, 09:50 AM

Default Colts Best at Free Agency in 2018 per Spotrac

According to Spotrac, the Colts were the most effective team at getting value out of free agency during this last offseason:

https://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl...eam-808/#TEAMS

Per Spotrac:
Quote:
By far one of the most successful free agent classes in the league, the Colts took a few low-risk moves on bringing in Ebron & Grant to add weapons for luck, and both have been effective. Denico Autry has been one of the more productive edge defenders in the game, and Matt Slauson has been another positive piece to a finally improved offensive line.
Here's an article from Colts.com which provides a bit more detail:

https://www.colts.com/news/spotrac-c...ee-agent-class

I'm not sure how Spotrac calculated its numbers for this analysis, but I generally agree that the Colts free agency pickups this last offseason have been largely successful (with the notable exception of Howard and, because of injury, Slauson). I'd personally bump Ebron up to an "excellent" signing, and lower Slauson due to his injury though he seemed to be reasonably effective before getting hurt.

I guess the counterargument is that the Colts didn't sign any ultra high end free agents, and it's easier to get value out of lower tier free agents than the big guys, but it's nice to see that the Colts are spending their money effectively.

Last edited by Chaka; 11-06-2018 at 12:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
Pez (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 12:37 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Slauson played what? 4 games? Dumb article
Old 11-06-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Slauson played what? 4 games? Dumb article
Well, to be fair, there’s only been 8 games so far. The article was written on Nov 2 and says at the outset that it’s a mid-season analysis, so there’s nothing wrong with analyzing a player’s performance within that limited context. If you take issue with their conclusions, that’s entirely different, but you didn’t say how you might disagree.

Either way, I thought it would be a good starting point for a discussion on the subject, since there’s was so much complaining about the Colts free agency approach last offseason. Spotrac basically gives all of the Colts free agency signings (with the exception of Howard) an “average” or “excellent” rating. I personally think they’ve underestimated Ebron (who should be excellent), and perhaps overestimated Autry (maybe average) and Slauson (incomplete due to injury).

Incidentally, here’s their assessment of the performance of the other free agents some Colts fans were hoping the we would sign:

Andrew Norwell (below average)
Justin Pugh (below average)
Dontari Poe (below average)
Allen Robinson (below average)
Dante Moncrief (below average)
Anthony Hitchens (below average)
Ndamukong Suh (average)
Nate Solder (below average)
Rashaan Melvin (average)

Maybe I missed a few, as I'm only going off memory, but not a lot of great performers (relative to their contracts) in that group.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:24 PM

While pattng yourself on the back, you forgot to list John Brown, an affordable WR who graded out as being good value, but that doesn't serve the purpose of this horn tooting thread.
Looking over the list, most greens are bargain basement low risk contracts. It's hard to be hurt by lower cost, lower term contracts. Also hard to get impact players at the dollar store. Finally, the Saints apparently get high marks for re-upping on Drew Brees. Nice article.

Last edited by Colt Classic; 11-06-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:14 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
you didn’t say how you might disagree.
Apparently, you have not met Omaha before today
rcubed (11-06-2018), Spike (11-06-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Classic View Post
While pattng yourself on the back, you forgot to list John Brown, an affordable WR who graded out as being good value, but that doesn't serve the purpose of this horn tooting thread.
Looking over the list, most greens are bargain basement low risk contracts. It's hard to be hurt by lower cost, lower term contracts. Also hard to get impact players at the dollar store. Finally, the Saints apparently get high marks for re-upping on Drew Brees. Nice article.
Whatever, dude. I forgot to mention John Brown? Well so did you, apparently, as I see no prior posts where you recommended signing him during the free agency period or any other time until now. In fact, I ran a search here and I saw only two references to him as a possible free agent target during the offseason - both by Dam. I'm sorry if I forgot those two posts when I came up with the list off the top of my head. You know who else I forgot? Ryan Jensen (below average) and Dion Lewis (average) - both of whom were mentioned in many more posts than John Brown.

And I guess you must be a JAX or TEN fan (or worse yet, a Pats fan) if think citing an article praising the Colts free agent signings is "patting yourself on the back" or "horn tooting." I didn't sign the free agents, the Colts did - aren't you a Colts fan too?

Am I happy that people are writing articles about how effective the Colts have been in free agency? Of course. I posted the article in hopes that others would weigh in and say whether they agreed or not, and to see if these authors had missed anything. Instead, you ignore the Colts analysis altogether and try to attack the article by complaining that Drew Brees is included in the list - a guy who, if I recall correctly, reached agreement to resign with the Saints during the "legal tampering" period (the same period where people like Kirk Cousins and Case Keenum signed). So what?
Old 11-07-2018, 08:05 AM

So he only counts if a few people on here were clamoring for him to be signed? Whatever to you, dude. He was out there and available but the Colts didn't even kick the tires on him. The Colts don't need our permission. You asked in another thread for examples of who should've been targeted--there's one. Again, the article is skewed toward giving high marks for a low cost signing so of course the Colts will be at or near the top of such a ranking.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:39 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Chaka when he finds an article praising something Ballard did:

The Following User Says Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 11:57 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Jesus people. We are all over Chana’s ass cause he found an article that says the Colts did a good job at something? Because the final decision (I assume we evaluate and make decisions involving coaches scouts financial guys etc) is Ballard’s? We spent very little money and got good return so far. We made what are apparently good decisions. What is not to like?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Chaka (11-07-2018), Puck (11-08-2018), sherck (11-08-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 12:25 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Jesus people. We are all over Chana’s ass cause he found an article that says the Colts did a good job at something? Because the final decision (I assume we evaluate and make decisions involving coaches scouts financial guys etc) is Ballard’s? We spent very little money and got good return so far. We made what are apparently good decisions. What is not to like?
Amen!

However, we could have done more, which would make some happy at the time of the signing, but then possibly suffer from buyer's remorse when the signing blew up.

Something about high dollar free agents not working out well for the new teams. Maybe they became complacent by finally signing the big contract. Maybe they fit the old scheme better. Maybe they played well beside someone who masked their deficiencies. I don't know, but often they do not pan out. The lower contract guys have to try to earn more in their next contract, so maybe they work a little harder?
Chaka (11-07-2018)