ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 11-01-2018, 06:50 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts
Default Some Mid-Season Tidbits

From Colts.com:

- Sanchez’s net punting average of 43.2 is the third best in the NFL, which is thanks to good placement and coverage, as the Colts allow just 4.5 yards per punt return. That also ranks third among qualified punters.

- Opposing teams simply aren’t throwing the ball anywhere near Hooker this season, his second in the NFL. Hooker’s 138.0 coverage snaps per reception allowed figure is the highest among all safeties in the NFL. When in coverage, Hooker has been targeted just three times total, allowing two receptions for 36 yards, and picked off the other pass attempt thrown his way.

- Kenny Moore II has the 13th most coverage snaps from the slot position in the NFL, but has allowed the fourth-fewest receptions (14) among that group. His 63.1 passer rating allowed ranks second, and his two interceptions are in a three-way tie for the most in the league in that group.

- According to PFF, “Leonard currently ranks sixth among the 120 linebackers who’ve seen at least 50 defensive snaps this season in terms of overall grade, and he’s the only linebacker in football who owns a grade of at least 75.0 in both coverage and run defense. Much has been made about Leonard’s lofty tackle totals, but if you look a bit deeper into that total it’s even more impressive: Leonard leads all linebackers with 34 total stops and his 4.4 missed tackle percentage ranks seventh-best among the 68 linebackers who’ve made at least 20 tackles this season.”

- At Rutgers, Turay had roughly half the number of pass-rush snaps as some of the more highly-touted edge guys in this year’s draft class, like Bradley Chubb, Marcus Davenport and Harold Landry. Through the first eight games of his NFL career, Turay has the second-most total quarterback pressures of anybody in the 2018 NFL Draft class with 25, which trails Bradley Chubb — the fifth-overall pick — who has 32. Turay’s also done his damage with 31 percent fewer snaps than Chubb (414 snaps).

- Both head coach Frank Reich and offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo have sang Kelly’s praises in recent days, and for good reason. Kelly has allowed just one sack, two quarterback hits and three hurries to this point of the season. He is PFF’s sixth-best overall rated center in the NFL through eight games.

- Hines, as advertised, has been all over the field for the Colts’ offense so far this season. He’s had 246 snaps from the backfield, 18 from the slot receiver position and 33 lined up out wide.

- Ebron was also advertised as someone who could line up in multiple spots and be effective as a pass catcher, and that, too, has been the case so far. Ebron has lined up in more of an inline, traditional tight end spot 119 times, but has been used much more in the slot, with 174 snaps there. He also has 43 snaps lined up out wide. Whatever the Colts are doing is obviously working, as he leads all NFL tight ends with seven touchdown receptions to this point.

- Luck’s numbers when facing a clean pocket so far this season? 172-of-247 passing (69.6 percent) for 1,658 yards (9.68 yards per completion) with 18 touchdowns to four interceptions.

Buckle up, Colts fans. The ride in the 2nd half of the season is going to wild!

The future is so bright, I gotta triple up!

Walk Worthy,
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
1965southpaw (11-01-2018), Chaka (11-02-2018), DrSpaceman (11-01-2018), Indiana V2 (11-03-2018), indycolts2 (11-02-2018), Indystu2 (11-05-2018), Puck (11-02-2018), Racehorse (11-01-2018), Spike (11-01-2018), Thorgrim (11-01-2018), VeveJones007 (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 08:33 AM

I'm liking this team. Last year's team was like watching paint dry. Watch the game for 3+hours and if you're lucky, there was maybe 1 play to get excited about. This year's team has a very bright future and they're already fun to watch.
indycolts2 (11-02-2018), JAFF (11-01-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 09:12 AM

There are certainly some encouraging aspects of this year's team and I like the direction it is going

But maybe I am missing something on Hooker. Or maybe I am only recalling the few times he was targeted, or thinking of targets differently. I distinctly recall him basically being beat long on a TD on a throw to the end zone. Maybe he wasn't "targeted" on that one, but it seemed he should have been on position to knock the ball down. And the INT he had, there were two identical plays that game where the QB just threw it up towards the sideline for the WR, he was in coverage on both plays. One he made the INT, but the first one he badly mistimed things and whiffed on it, allowed a catch, should have been an easy play.

But the best parts we have seen so far are :

1. Finally have a competent coaching staff

2. Finally have a good OL allowing for a run game and protection of Luck

3. There is a true game changing player on D with Leonard, something the Colts have not had since Freeney/Mathis

Last edited by DrSpaceman; 11-02-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:03 AM

Will add a few more though at the midseason

After trying and failing to hire McDaniels and having to "settle" on Reich, the COlts and Pats offensive performance has been nearly identical so far this year. And I mean down to the total yardage and rush/pass yardage breakdown :

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total

NE is averaging one point more a game.

The bad, though, and this is no surprise I think : Ranked 31 in defensive completion percentage, a horrible 72%

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/t...sition/defense

And near the bottom in Passer rating, ranked 25th :

The Following User Says Thank You to DrSpaceman For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 10:12 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
There are certainly some encouraging aspects of this year's team and I like the direction it is going

But maybe I am missing something on Hooker. Or maybe I am only recalling the few times he was targeted, or thinking of targets differently. I distinctly recall him basically being beat long on a TD on a throw to the end zone. Maybe he wasn't "targeted" on that one, but it seemed he should have been on position to knock the ball down. And the INT he had, there were two identical plays that game where the QB just threw it up towards the sideline for the WR, he was in coverage on both plays. One he made the INT, but the first one he badly mistimed things and whiffed on it, allowed a catch, should have been an easy play.

But the best parts we have seen so far are :

1. Finally have a competent coaching staff

2. Finally have a good OL allowing for a run game and protection of Luck

3. There is a true game changing player on D with Leonard, something the Colts have not had since Freeney/Mathis
I believe you're thinking of the AJ Green TD in Week 1. Holder asked around and heard that Green wasn't Hooker's responsibility on that play.

I'm wondering if the weakness of the secondary and LBs is causing teams to target other areas of the field away from Hooker. Maybe we see him given the opportunity to make more plays once those other areas of the defense are better?
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
DrSpaceman (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 10:15 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
Will add a few more though at the midseason

After trying and failing to hire McDaniels and having to "settle" on Reich, the COlts and Pats offensive performance has been nearly identical so far this year. And I mean down to the total yardage and rush/pass yardage breakdown :

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total

NE is averaging one point more a game.

The bad, though, and this is no surprise I think : Ranked 31 in defensive completion percentage, a horrible 72%

And near the bottom in Passer rating, ranked 25th :

1) Need a lot more pass rush.
2) Need LBs to perform better in coverage and do a better job reading run/pass.
3) Secondary needs a lot of improvement.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
JAFF (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 05:07 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

I love what is happening with the O line. But part of it is that Luck has options. He can read, react and if nothing is there, dump off. It's not so different from Bill Walsh and his WC offense. There is always an outlet. Its not a 7 step drop and fling it or run for your life.

You can tell what is coming. How great is THAT!
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (11-02-2018)