ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-08-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
He was the best option left, not the only one. Sorry you are too slow to understand my point and have to resort to this BS to make your point. Ballard said that he should have addressed it in the previous draft, and would fix it this year. He went after Norwood, and got outbid. I don't remember if he went after Solder, but I was not convinced that he was worth what he got. Patriots fans have not been kind to him regarding his play. Now, some could argue that he could have taken Chubb and then taken Smith in round 2, but every expert agreed that the drop-off between the two was huge, so if Ballard had done that, the ones clamoring for protection for the QB would be back at it. Like I said, they can't have it both ways.

As to my other point, one could argue that the best way to protect Luck is to get a defense that keeps the opponents from scoring, making it easier for the QB to manage a game instead of playing hero, which Luck does so well. I could agree with this, but I feel that the easiest way to protect him is to add a piece or two on that side of the ball, because the other side would have needed five or six pieces to accomplish the goal of constructing a dominant defense.

Just to be fair, I was one of those who wanted us to draft Chubb in the first round and get a free agent answer to the OLine. Once we struck out there, I was fine with the Nelson pick, especially when moving down gave us an additional pick in the draft.
Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t you the one who felt the need to talk

S
L
O
W

to me to say Norwell wasn’t an option? Quoting a post I specifically said I wasn’t knocking Ballard for not getting him? So don’t talk to me about having to resort to BS to get my point across. I’ll stoop to whatever level you do when addressing me. You want to be an ass, I’ll be an ass. Simple as that.

My point has simply been that Nelson was not the only option available to Ballard. Possibly not even the best. Even when taking into account his failure to address it previously. I’d say a good argument could be made that trading back and walking away with McGlinchey or Miller and then adding Smith would have improved the line tremendously as well. Many said predraft that tackle was the biggest issue for the line, so that’s not hindsight. And I could argue the long term outlook of the line would be brighter with a solid tackle in place to slide to the left side in a year or two. Or whenever Castonzo is hurt.

Regardless, sitting at 6 Ballard had options. Especially considering that the way the QBs fell made the spot extra valuable. The #6 pick was the 2nd most valuable commodity the team had behind only Luck. The trade down from 3 to 6 was brilliant, but from there Ballard failed to maximize the value of his commodity IMO.

As a side note, I chuckle watching people say the money Norwell got was way to much but having no problem with using the #6 pick on Nelson. If Nelson isn’t worthy of being the highest paid guard in the league after his rookie contract then the pick was a failure. You either believe in the value of the position or you don’t. I don’t rank it as high as other positions, hence why I don’t blame Ballard for Norwell. But if I had to choose, considering the current state of the roster, I’d rather overpay with cap space than draft position. Top 10 picks are scarce commodities - usually. Admittedly the Colts may very well be in position for another next year though.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:54 PM

Thanked 4,404 Times in 2,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong... I’ll stoop to whatever level you do when addressing me. You want to be an ass, I’ll be an ass. Simple as that.
I don't have a problem with anything else you said, but I will correct you when you are wrong. I didn't start this pissing match, you did. I am stooping to your level. You called me naive. I did not do so until you did first.

As for me, there is nothing else to say, so I am done with this.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

If I remember correctly we had Norwell in for visit? Playing devils advocate if offer was equal money. The decision for Norwell was easy. Go to a contender, better climate, and no state income taxes. Pretty easy choice, in my opinion. I imagine a lot of free agents who chose other teams don't consider Indy the ideal team like we do and believe...
just my $0.02
But what do I know?
Racehorse (09-08-2018), rcubed (09-08-2018), sherck (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I don't have a problem with anything else you said, but I will correct you when you are wrong. I didn't start this pissing match, you did. I am stooping to your level. You called me naive. I did not do so until you did first.

As for me, there is nothing else to say, so I am done with this.
Racehorse, I apologize. I didn’t realize you were so sensitive that this post would be considered starting a pissing match:

Quote:
Through two drafts and two free agent periods (with ample cap available) are you really so naive as to believe taking a guard at 6 was the only way to address the o-line?
I thought it was a conversation. At least until you jumped into my comment to someone else speaking s l o w to tell me something I specifically said, in the post you quoted, I didn’t have an issue with.

Now we can agree that there is nothing else to say on it.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
If I remember correctly we had Norwell in for visit? Playing devils advocate if offer was equal money. The decision for Norwell was easy. Go to a contender, better climate, and no state income taxes. Pretty easy choice, in my opinion. I imagine a lot of free agents who chose other teams don't consider Indy the ideal team like we do and believe...
just my $0.02
But what do I know?
In the NBA I believe 100% location plays a huge factor in free agent signings. In the NFL I’m sure it plays a very small role, but I don’t believe it does to the same degree. I’d say money (specifically gaurentees, not state income taxes) is #1. And winning is #2. Beyond that schemes, existing relationships, etc probably play as much of a role as climate. But yes, I think the overall point is accurate - fans tend to overrate the draw of their favorite team. I’d bet a lot of players would love to play with Andrew Luck (Colts biggest draw). But the same could be said for dozens of other players around the league at various positions. It isn’t the draw we would like to believe it is.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:20 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Sunday cannot come soon enough
Old 09-08-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Racehorse, I apologize. I didn’t realize you were so sensitive that this post would be considered starting a pissing match:

I thought it was a conversation. At least until you jumped into my comment to someone else speaking s l o w to tell me something I specifically said, in the post you quoted, I didn’t have an issue with.

Now we can agree that there is nothing else to say on it.
Some apology. GTFOH
Old 09-08-2018, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

I think Motel 6 left light on for you guys …

This season can't start soon enough
Racehorse (09-08-2018), sherck (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
I think Motel 6 left light on for you guys …

This season can't start soon enough
I'll let him go alone. He loves himself, so he will enjoy the alone time.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Some apology. GTFOH
Wasn’t meant to be. I just thought it was nicer than telling you to put your big girl panties on and stop being offended by stupid shit.