ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-07-2024, 05:48 PM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts
Default quick thoughts on the texicans

1) no problem with the last call. dude was wide open. bad pass from minshew and dude just didn't catch it. it sucks. overall i thought the coaching was good. the team seems to respond to steichen. they played like they knew what was at stake. unlike previous years.

2) minshew was bad. Missed MAC for a td. had goodsen open on the 1st drive and missed him. high passes all night. can't win with a guy like minshew. you can win some but he isn't going to get it done.

3) JT is a fucking gamer. he was really trying his best to carry this team to a win. really wish we would get him the ball in the passing game more. i know that isn't really steichens offense.

4) oline was good. couple miscues in protection but they gave minshew time and opened holes in the run game. hated seeing smith get hurt again but he was hurt going into it so whatever.

5) not a great day from the te's. MAC should probably be gone. some other drops that weren't great balls but were catchable. really showed an upgrade is needed here

6) rodney thomas fucks up again. gives up another td. we need an upgrade here and i think the colts know it.

7) tackling was a little better but still a fucking problem. baker jr has no desire to tackle people. dude can piss off next year.

8) kwitty paye just isn't it at de. he is a fine player and i like him but he doesn't get consistent pressure. i thought lewis played pretty well. flashed a lot. dayo was kind of a no show from what i remember. constantly needing to address the pass rush is fucking annoying.

9) rushing for over 200 yards (i think) and losing is tough. not usually how that works out. plenty of opportunities to win but we didn't have the qb that could do it.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
albany ed (01-08-2024), AlwaysSunnyinIndy (01-08-2024), apballin (01-07-2024), bertjones (01-07-2024), ChaosTheory (01-07-2024), Dewey 5 (01-07-2024), Hoopsdoc (01-07-2024), Racehorse (01-07-2024), Spike (01-08-2024), YDFL Commish (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 05:59 PM

Thanked 4,396 Times in 2,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
1) no problem with the last call. dude was wide open. bad pass from minshew and dude just didn't catch it. it sucks. overall i thought the coaching was good. the team seems to respond to steichen. they played like they knew what was at stake. unlike previous years.

2) minshew was bad. Missed MAC for a td. had goodsen open on the 1st drive and missed him. high passes all night. can't win with a guy like minshew. you can win some but he isn't going to get it done.

3) JT is a fucking gamer. he was really trying his best to carry this team to a win. really wish we would get him the ball in the passing game more. i know that isn't really steichens offense.

4) oline was good. couple miscues in protection but they gave minshew time and opened holes in the run game. hated seeing smith get hurt again but he was hurt going into it so whatever.

5) not a great day from the te's. MAC should probably be gone. some other drops that weren't great balls but were catchable. really showed an upgrade is needed here

6) rodney thomas fucks up again. gives up another td. we need an upgrade here and i think the colts know it.

7) tackling was a little better but still a fucking problem. baker jr has no desire to tackle people. dude can piss off next year.

8) kwitty paye just isn't it at de. he is a fine player and i like him but he doesn't get consistent pressure. i thought lewis played pretty well. flashed a lot. dayo was kind of a no show from what i remember. constantly needing to address the pass rush is fucking annoying.

9) rushing for over 200 yards (i think) and losing is tough. not usually how that works out. plenty of opportunities to win but we didn't have the qb that could do it.
Yeah, I am grateful for Gardner holding it down this year, but his limitations are too much for a team that is in the hunt for a playoff spot.
omahacolt (01-07-2024), Spike (01-08-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 06:25 PM

Thanked 1,899 Times in 926 Posts

Texans had the better quarterback. In a close game, that’s what matters.

I was upset but it hasn’t stuck with me like I thought it would. Especially now that the jags and that smarmy prick Lawrence lost.

I like Stroud. I like Demeco Ryans. That team has a bright future. I happen to think that Stroud and the Texans and AR and the Colts are the future of the AFC south.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
BCN#1 (01-08-2024), Racehorse (01-07-2024), Spike (01-08-2024), TheMugwump (01-08-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 06:47 PM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Yeah, I am grateful for Gardner holding it down this year, but his limitations are too much for a team that is in the hunt for a playoff spot.
also why i am ok to not bring him back. don't care if we use a mid round pick on an athletic qb with upside
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
njcoltfan (01-08-2024), Racehorse (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 09:26 PM

Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,174 Posts

Quote:
also why i am ok to not bring him back. don't care if we use a mid round pick on an athletic qb with upside
I think that would be ideal if one is there, someone who is abe to run most of ARs playbook. I feel having a guy like that will be important, since I expect AR to get dinged a lot, even if it is only for a few plays.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:23 AM

Quote:
The Colts do have Kellen Mond on the practice squad, he was a third round pick of the Vikings out of Texas A&M, 6'3"and 211lbs. He threw for over 9000 yards and rushed for over 1500yds in his college career.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:46 AM

Pick up some weaknesses through the draft and FA, have a healthy AR and this team will be formidable next year.

As for the coaching, I like our coach, I just wish he would consider actually running a play in those "let's see if we can draw them offsides". Every team coaches their players to use extreme discipline when these situations arise.

All in all, I enjoyed this season more than I've enjoyed a season in a while.
Racehorse (01-08-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 09:21 AM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
The Colts do have Kellen Mond on the practice squad, he was a third round pick of the Vikings out of Texas A&M, 6'3"and 211lbs. He threw for over 9000 yards and rushed for over 1500yds in his college career.
Mond is the encyclopedic version of the so much talent with the right instruction by our staff he will blossom guy. He looks the part in every way, has all the talent on paper. In practice, he is atrocious.

Year after year tuned into these A&M games hearing how this would be the year he showed why he should win the Heisman and be the # 1 draft pick. Instead you saw the same guy game after game. Indecisive, inaccurate, and prone to really poor performances in the clutch. Sadly I would take Minshew 10 out of 10 times if had to choose between Mond and Minshew.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
njcoltfan (01-08-2024), Racehorse (01-08-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
Mond is the encyclopedic version of the so much talent with the right instruction by our staff he will blossom guy. He looks the part in every way, has all the talent on paper. In practice, he is atrocious.

Year after year tuned into these A&M games hearing how this would be the year he showed why he should win the Heisman and be the # 1 draft pick. Instead you saw the same guy game after game. Indecisive, inaccurate, and prone to really poor performances in the clutch. Sadly I would take Minshew 10 out of 10 times if had to choose between Mond and Minshew.
So what you're saying, he couldn't hit a wide open running back, in the flat ,for a first down and possible TD either ???
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to njcoltfan For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (01-08-2024), Racehorse (01-08-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 02:04 PM

Thanked 2,651 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, once Richardson was out for the year, I thought the team's ceiling with Minshew was a 9 or 10 win season and being on the fringe of the playoffs - maybe get in / maybe out. If the Colts would have made the playoffs, they probably would have been one and done.

Which is what I would expect with most "good" back-up QB's - I would have expected a similar type of ceiling if Brissett was still the back-up.

I'd be fine bringing Minshew back as long as the contract isn't too ridiculous. I have seen some high numbers suggested both here and other Colts websites as possible offers. I don't think the Colts need to break the bank to make Minshew the highest paid back-up by several million dollars in annual salary over the 2nd highest back-up QB contract. If that is what his agent is looking for, I'd have no problems moving on from Minshew.

But I also wonder what Minshew is really looking for. Is he looking to maximize his earnings or does he want the chance to start? I have seen some reporting that he still believes he is a starter in the league and not a back-up. If he is after a starting job, then I am not sure he will want a multi-year contract.

But I could certainly see doing another 1 year deal (and maybe with an option year) with the Colts if he likes his current situation. Seems like he gets along great with both Steichen and Richardson. And thinking from Minshew's perspective: If another team doesn't promise him a starting gig (which I don't think another team will offer him a starting role), then why not go for another 1 year deal and see if Richardson's health and availability this year was a fluke or will it happen again next season.

Last edited by AlwaysSunnyinIndy; 01-08-2024 at 05:11 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (01-08-2024), Racehorse (01-08-2024)