ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-19-2018, 09:29 PM

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Of course he will be. Dude has been playing great.

With the way Nelson and glowinski are playing, I think we can manage a game or two and be fine up front.
One game...I agree. The Phins sick up front. But, unless the Jags have given up on the season, a healthy Ryan Kelly will be needed.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:51 AM

Thanked 1,195 Times in 527 Posts

1. Glad he is not out for the season. IF we figure out how to either steal the division from the Texans OR sneak into the playoffs as a wildcard, we will need him come Jan.

2. I would expect the Phins to run a lot of overload looks up the middle early this next week. Try to get the less experienced OC messed up and off balance. It would not surprise me to hear that a veteran like Glowinski might be calling the protections this week.

3. I don't know if I think that Haeg or Boehm is better as the OC. PFF graded Boehm on 12 snaps against the Titans with an "average NFL starter" grade. Since OC is out of position for Haeg, I don't know if that is better than what Haeg could deliver. BTW, PFF has Kelly as the 8th best graded OC this season.

4. PFF is also currently grade our OGs as the 8th best (Glowinski) and 12th best (Nelson) this season. And we have three OTs in the top 35 rated: Smith (27th), Castonzo (29th), and Clark (35th).

(NOTE: I know many of you don't like PFF scores and that is fine; I find them to be pretty accurate to my "eye" test and a lot of the former players / current commentators agree with them as well. I will continue to use them to backup my points. I don't want this to devolve into a "PFF sucks" fest so if you don't like the scoring, just move on.)

5. Losing Kelly is a big loss and while we will be "fine" for a game or three if needed, I hope he gets healthy quickly.

Walk Worthy,
Old 11-20-2018, 12:14 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,610 Times in 2,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
@zkeefer
Colts coach Frank Reich says starting center Ryan Kelly "could miss a little time" with his knee injury. Team will take a few days to decide the status. Could be week-to-week.

He’ll assuredly be missed in every game he sits out but I think anything that isn’t a season-ending injury has to be considered a win at this point.
Collective sigh of relief from Colts nation.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:17 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
Just rewatching the game and on the Wilkins td run, Kelly pulled and took out two Titans defenders. There’s no way Boehm or Haeg make that play.

He’s going to be missed.
The playcalling will be adjusted. But good guard play should help mitigate the loss in protection. Which is the most important thing. The run game will likely take a step back.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:24 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
1. Glad he is not out for the season. IF we figure out how to either steal the division from the Texans OR sneak into the playoffs as a wildcard, we will need him come Jan.

2. I would expect the Phins to run a lot of overload looks up the middle early this next week. Try to get the less experienced OC messed up and off balance. It would not surprise me to hear that a veteran like Glowinski might be calling the protections this week.

3. I don't know if I think that Haeg or Boehm is better as the OC. PFF graded Boehm on 12 snaps against the Titans with an "average NFL starter" grade. Since OC is out of position for Haeg, I don't know if that is better than what Haeg could deliver. BTW, PFF has Kelly as the 8th best graded OC this season.

4. PFF is also currently grade our OGs as the 8th best (Glowinski) and 12th best (Nelson) this season. And we have three OTs in the top 35 rated: Smith (27th), Castonzo (29th), and Clark (35th).

(NOTE: I know many of you don't like PFF scores and that is fine; I find them to be pretty accurate to my "eye" test and a lot of the former players / current commentators agree with them as well. I will continue to use them to backup my points. I don't want this to devolve into a "PFF sucks" fest so if you don't like the scoring, just move on.)

5. Losing Kelly is a big loss and while we will be "fine" for a game or three if needed, I hope he gets healthy quickly.

Walk Worthy,
I think their grading is too hard and they don’t always know responsibilities even though they BS they do. A complex deceptive offense like ours isn’t always clear. A play can devolve for a number of reasons, maybe a guy is covering for another guy bc he fucked up. The oline is such an interdependent unit, it’s not like a CB or WR you are evaluating. Although WRresponsibilities and reactions can get pretty complex. I know lots of guys do reference them now, I hear them talk about on NFL radio, but I still don’t trust them. For example Hernandez of the Giants is highly rated, but he sucks at picking up stunts and moving laterally, does it show up in the score? Nope. I’ve seen him mess up several times. Something is off there.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:58 PM

Thanked 1,195 Times in 527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I think their grading is too hard and they don’t always know responsibilities even though they BS they do. A complex deceptive offense like ours isn’t always clear. A play can devolve for a number of reasons, maybe a guy is covering for another guy bc he fucked up. The oline is such an interdependent unit, it’s not like a CB or WR you are evaluating. Although WRresponsibilities and reactions can get pretty complex. I know lots of guys do reference them now, I hear them talk about on NFL radio, but I still don’t trust them. For example Hernandez of the Giants is highly rated, but he sucks at picking up stunts and moving laterally, does it show up in the score? Nope. I’ve seen him mess up several times. Something is off there.
All of the arguements against PFF except Omaha's are fair and valid. I don't think they are the end all, beat all judge of performance and that someone ranked 75.4 is always better than someone ranked 71.7.

However, by and large, I often agree with them in general and that the numbers I see tend to match in accordiance with overall NFL stats or my eye test. I think they are one data point to help judge overall effectiviness of a player but not the sole judge.

So, we will agree to disagree. I place more weight on their numbers than many here and that is fine. I am just tired of Omaha's continued rants of "anyone who puts any credibility on them is an idiot" number. Get it, don't agree, let's just move on. Closed minded folks and all...

Walk Worthy,
The Following User Says Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 01:26 PM

Thanked 4,282 Times in 1,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
All of the arguements against PFF except Omaha's are fair and valid. I don't think they are the end all, beat all judge of performance and that someone ranked 75.4 is always better than someone ranked 71.7.

However, by and large, I often agree with them in general and that the numbers I see tend to match in accordiance with overall NFL stats or my eye test. I think they are one data point to help judge overall effectiviness of a player but not the sole judge.

So, we will agree to disagree. I place more weight on their numbers than many here and that is fine. I am just tired of Omaha's continued rants of "anyone who puts any credibility on them is an idiot" number. Get it, don't agree, let's just move on. Closed minded folks and all...

Walk Worthy,
Pff grades are a fucking opinion. Nothing more. Not a data point. An opinion. You can agree with that opinion. That is fine. But don’t for a second think it proves anything.

Their grades aren’t accurate because they don’t know enough to be completely accurate. You ignore that because it is convenient for you. You just like to see a fancy grade.

Closed minded because people don’t buy your bullshit “data points” when many times they make zero sense? Yeah ok.

If you are tired then take a nap because PFF SUCKS BALLS
Old 11-20-2018, 01:59 PM

@ProFootballDoc
#RyanKelly @Colts knee injury.
Coaches film still not 100% clear due to multiple bodies at line of scrimmage but appears to suffer left knee MCL sprain. Can't be sure length of absence but hoping only a week or two.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coltsalr For This Useful Post:
DrSpaceman (11-20-2018), sherck (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 02:38 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
@ProFootballDoc
#RyanKelly @Colts knee injury.
Coaches film still not 100% clear due to multiple bodies at line of scrimmage but appears to suffer left knee MCL sprain. Can't be sure length of absence but hoping only a week or two.
Those linemen wear those braces for a reason. Often they can be the difference between a sprain and a tear.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:58 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Those linemen wear those braces for a reason. Often they can be the difference between a sprain and a tear.
I hate to be that guy, but I feel it's important to point out that a sprain is a tear. People tend to underrate the significance of an injury if it's called a "sprain" when they don't understand that there isn't a distinction vs a tear. Just look at all the flak that Jay Cutler got when he had to leave the NFCCG vs the Packers a few years back. The team called it a sprain and there was a ton of negative coverage, insinuating that he was soft for not playing with a sprain. It turned out that he had a 2nd degree sprain, which usually sidelines a player for 2-4 weeks.

Last edited by VeveJones007; 11-20-2018 at 03:04 PM.