ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 12-03-2019, 11:15 AM
Chromeburn's Avatar
Chromeburn Chromeburn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,165
Thanks: 581
Thanked 1,103 Times in 674 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I donít like the ďdo what you need to to get the best you canĒ thinking. Iím guessing you donít mean it quite the way it comes off. Trading significant draft capital for a marginal improvement over JB isnít in the teams best interest. They need a franchise QB, not a slightly better QB. If Ballard believes a guy is a franchise guy then yeah do what it takes. But chasing the best they can get in the draft at QB is a recipe for disaster.
Why would you trade considerable assets to get a marginally better QB? I donít mean make a bad deal to get a qb. Get a franchise QB, if you have to trade assets this year do it. Itís the single thing that is really holding this team back. If you donít think there is one then that is a different matter. There are a lot of QBs in the next draft, someone will turn out. Up to them to identify who that is. This team has a good starting core and an absolute shit ton of money. They should be able to address the QB position.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-03-2019, 11:41 AM
rm1369 rm1369 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 384
Thanks: 111
Thanked 181 Times in 116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Why would you trade considerable assets to get a marginally better QB? I donít mean make a bad deal to get a qb. Get a franchise QB, if you have to trade assets this year do it. Itís the single thing that is really holding this team back. If you donít think there is one then that is a different matter. There are a lot of QBs in the next draft, someone will turn out. Up to them to identify who that is. This team has a good starting core and an absolute shit ton of money. They should be able to address the QB position.
I think we mostly agree. If there is a guy you believe is a franchise guy then yes get him. I just donít agree that they should definitely take the highest rated QB they can get or that itís a given they ďshould be able to address the QB positionĒ this draft. You say someone will turn out and I agree. And a couple will end up no better than JB, possibly even worse. If they believe one or two guys are franchise QBs and they can get one then great. If they believe three or four guys are franchise guys then they probably need to re-evaluate their idea of a franchise QB. My point is it is by no means a given they can get their top guy or even 2nd choice. Once you get to your 3rd choice is it really because the guy is great? Or is it because you need him to be great? Teams make that bad calculation all the time. They need a franchise QB, but they canít force one to be available.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-03-2019, 12:25 PM
Maniac's Avatar
Maniac Maniac is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Home
Posts: 1,328
Thanks: 625
Thanked 937 Times in 509 Posts
Default

Draft a QB every year until you hit on one at this point. Doesn't have to be a top pick, just keep using at least one pick on a QB until one develops into our franchise QB.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maniac For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (12-03-2019), Racehorse (12-03-2019)
  #34  
Old 12-03-2019, 01:33 PM
Chromeburn's Avatar
Chromeburn Chromeburn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,165
Thanks: 581
Thanked 1,103 Times in 674 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I think we mostly agree. If there is a guy you believe is a franchise guy then yes get him. I just donít agree that they should definitely take the highest rated QB they can get or that itís a given they ďshould be able to address the QB positionĒ this draft. You say someone will turn out and I agree. And a couple will end up no better than JB, possibly even worse. If they believe one or two guys are franchise QBs and they can get one then great. If they believe three or four guys are franchise guys then they probably need to re-evaluate their idea of a franchise QB. My point is it is by no means a given they can get their top guy or even 2nd choice. Once you get to your 3rd choice is it really because the guy is great? Or is it because you need him to be great? Teams make that bad calculation all the time. They need a franchise QB, but they canít force one to be available.
Well they have to believe that the guy can be a franchise QB, or is capable to reaching that status. I could have probably phrased that first post a little better. I agree you can't force it. QB is a bit of a crapshoot, and unfortunately, you have to keep pulling the trigger till you get one. The Broncos are kinda going through the same thing but they don't fully commit. We have gotten lucky the past 20 years but we are now in average QB hell. There is no Luck in this draft, but maybe there is a guy that will become one. I think with this line a QB could do well, just need someone with good vision and accuracy, able to get through their progressions fast. I've liked Burrow every time I've seen him, but I think he has played himself into the number one pick now.

I'm not in favor of a new guy just because he is new. However, if they think a guy is a franchise QB you have to go get him and don't get cute with it. Everyone ripped Gettleman for Daniel Jones, they could have gotten him with their second 1st round pick, too high, blah blah. I think he did the right thing, he didn't fuck around with it and just took him. Maybe some other team liked him, maybe not, but you have to go get your guy if he is your guy. I say this because the fans are already slotting these QBs and if we take one higher than they think he should go they will bitch about it. But that is the nature of taking a QB, they often go higher than they should because the need is so high. Ballard likes his value chart but QB's are a special situation. I just hope Ballard realizes that also because he does like his picks.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-03-2019, 02:34 PM
rm1369 rm1369 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 384
Thanks: 111
Thanked 181 Times in 116 Posts
Default

Agree on QBs value being higher and sort of throwing out your chart - as long as heís your guy and not just a guy. You mentioned the fans bitching because they think a QB is taken too higher and I agree with that as well. Part of my comments come from a similar place. If Ballard doesnít address QB early plenty of fans are going to bitch. I just think that MAY be a valid decision if itís based on the evaluation of the QBs available and not based on faith in JB being the solution going forward.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-03-2019, 03:25 PM
albany ed albany ed is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 801
Thanks: 71
Thanked 314 Times in 139 Posts
Default

It could be possible to acquire an aging but still productive QB in a trade with either the Lions (Stafford) or the Bengals (Dalton). It's an extremely short term fix, but you could draft a young, talented but raw QB in the draft, and give him time to come around while you have one of these two for a year or two. They both have large contracts which will end in another year, and their current teams may be ready to move on. If so, you can get them in a trade for not much, maybe a 5th or 6th rounder. Colts can afford the cap hit, especially since it's so short term. I remember when the Colts got Harbaugh and he clicked for a short time.
__________________
Hey, it's your world. I'm just gonna play in it for a while.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-03-2019, 03:32 PM
Chromeburn's Avatar
Chromeburn Chromeburn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,165
Thanks: 581
Thanked 1,103 Times in 674 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Agree on QBs value being higher and sort of throwing out your chart - as long as he’s your guy and not just a guy. You mentioned the fans bitching because they think a QB is taken too higher and I agree with that as well. Part of my comments come from a similar place. If Ballard doesn’t address QB early plenty of fans are going to bitch. I just think that MAY be a valid decision if it’s based on the evaluation of the QBs available and not based on faith in JB being the solution going forward.
Initially it seems Burrow, Tua, and Herbert will be first-rounders. But a lot can change till April. There are some intriguing guys this draft Love, Mond, Eason, Fromm, the Wake forest kid. So it will be interesting how it pans out. And maybe they think a 2nd round QB is the way to go. It's not impossible to find one there, just you odds go down drastically for success once out of the first.

But yeah, fans read some draft guide and it says so-and-so should be drafted in the 45-60 ranges, then a team takes him at 20 and the fans freak out. Ultimately, if that is the guy and he pans out, doesn't matter if you took him higher than some people think he should have gotten.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-03-2019)
  #38  
Old 12-03-2019, 03:49 PM
Racehorse's Avatar
Racehorse Racehorse is offline
Poster Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: God's green Earth
Posts: 9,464
Thanks: 5,778
Thanked 1,426 Times in 874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
It could be possible to acquire an aging but still productive QB in a trade with either the Lions (Stafford) or the Bengals (Dalton). It's an extremely short term fix, but you could draft a young, talented but raw QB in the draft, and give him time to come around while you have one of these two for a year or two. They both have large contracts which will end in another year, and their current teams may be ready to move on. If so, you can get them in a trade for not much, maybe a 5th or 6th rounder. Colts can afford the cap hit, especially since it's so short term. I remember when the Colts got Harbaugh and he clicked for a short time.
Stafford would be a good fit for us. Dalton? Meh.

As to teams looking to acquire a QB in this draft, who do we see in that field?

My quick takes are: Tampa, Cheats, Carolina?, Chicago, Raiders?
__________________
It's okay to complain, but if you only complain, nobody is going to take you seriously, Chicken Little.

Last edited by Racehorse; 12-03-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racehorse For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (12-03-2019), Spike (12-03-2019)
  #39  
Old 12-03-2019, 04:02 PM
smitty46953's Avatar
smitty46953 smitty46953 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 4,037
Thanks: 1,753
Thanked 1,182 Times in 656 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Stafford would be a good fit for us. Dalton? Meh.

As to teams looking to acquire a QB in this draft, who do we see in that field?

My quick takes are: Tampa, Cheats, Carolina?, Chicago, Raiders?
Bengals, and Dolphins
__________________
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience !!!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smitty46953 For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (12-03-2019), Racehorse (12-04-2019)
  #40  
Old 12-03-2019, 04:46 PM
AlwaysSunnyinIndy AlwaysSunnyinIndy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 461
Thanks: 144
Thanked 354 Times in 195 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
As to teams looking to acquire a QB in this draft, who do we see in that field?

My quick takes are: Tampa, Cheats, Carolina?, Chicago, Raiders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
Bengals, and Dolphins

I would throw the Chargers in the mix as well.

Rivers is in the final year of his contract.

There have been rumblings that the Chargers are ready to move on. The team has scouted the top QB's in the draft the last several years and haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Rivers has also discussed the possibility of retiring or playing for other teams next year. More recently, he has stated he would prefer to stay with the Chargers but previously he had named a few teams that were on his radar.

Last edited by AlwaysSunnyinIndy; 12-03-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (12-03-2019)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.