ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 08-11-2019, 03:36 PM

Kelly was the only Colts QB who seemed to know what the hell he was doing.

Other than that, not sure there is much to say in general and certainly not much good to say about this game.
The Following User Says Thank You to DrSpaceman For This Useful Post:
JAFF (08-11-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 06:34 PM

We need to keep Fountain and Cain on the 53.
Rogers is so far behind them in receiving ability that his vanilla play on special teams should not get him on the team.

And yes, Brissett is just an average backup in this league...nothing special.
He was a late 3rd rounder for NE and that's about all we can get for him...if that.

We need to keep Kelly and develop him for the year. If he improves and keeps his nose clean then he becomes Andrew's backup next year when Brissett thankfully moves on. If not, we can draft a backup and sign a vet to fill in until the young QB develops.

Last edited by CanuckColt; 08-11-2019 at 06:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CanuckColt For This Useful Post:
Colt Classic (08-12-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 06:59 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckColt View Post
We need to keep Fountain and Cain on the 53.
Rogers is so far behind them in receiving ability that his vanilla play on special teams should not get him on the team.

And yes, Brissett is just an average backup in this league...nothing special.
He was a late 3rd rounder for NE and that's about all we can get for him...if that.

We need to keep Kelly and develop him for the year. If he improves and keeps his nose clean then he becomes Andrew's backup next year when Brissett thankfully moves on. If not, we can draft a backup and sign a vet to fill in until the young QB develops.
Rogers is entrenched as the slot receiver, and he can play outside, and he can play special teams. The coaches love him. I don’t think the fans do because they always hear how well he does in camp then disappears in the regular season games. Cain and Fountain only play outside. Fountain I think is behind Pascal and Johnson. I think he is number 8 in the depth chart so even if they go 6 WRs, he won’t make it in.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:28 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Not sure where Fountain is on depth chart. Colts originally liked him more than Cain, otherwise why draft him a round earlier. Ballard loves developmental types from small schools. Fountain certainly is developing. I've read he has a great work ethic. He is a big, athletic fast receiver. If he keeps this up for the next few games who knows? One thing I'm interested in is if they might try Fountain returning kicks. He returned a couple in the East-West Shrine game. This is going to be interesting as this team whittles down to 53. Nice.

If Campbell comes back strong Rogers entrenchment may be a little less firm
Old 08-12-2019, 08:24 AM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Also a factor: I don't think the Colts can get away with stashing either Cain or Fountain on the PS.

It does feel like an either/or to me, despite their differing skill sets. I just think Rogers/Pascal is your WR4.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
Also a factor: I don't think the Colts can get away with stashing either Cain or Fountain on the PS.

It does feel like an either/or to me, despite their differing skill sets. I just think Rogers/Pascal is your WR4.
I think you are probably correct about only one making the roster, although I'm not sure this is in stone. I think Fountain may have the inside track. Several reasons. First he was drafted one round earlier, the Colts liked his upside better at the time. Both are developmental types, otherwise why 5th and 6th round? Fountain's development seems to be around running routes and being consistent. He is much improved from last year. Cain's main issue was dropped passes. From what I read this continues to be an issue. I have no idea what Ballard/Reich are thinking on this. They may keep both or neither (doubt that). I wouldn't forget Hogan or Johnson either.

Another player people seem to think will not make the team that I think does is Tell. Long, athletic corner making the switch from safety. Hairston (Ballard must have hated seeing a TD thrown that he couldn't break up because of reach) and Collins seem to be headed in the wrong direction. Its a reason to watch pre-season.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:31 AM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Don't forget, in addition to catching and special teams play, blocking also matters a lot for WRs in this system.

Pascal is superb there.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoBigBlue88 For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
Don't forget, in addition to catching and special teams play, blocking also matters a lot for WRs in this system.

Pascal is superb there.
Yep It is so damn nice to be talking about what guys are good at and how that is going to make cutting them painful. I have no idea who will stick buy am really enjoying watching and reading about these guys competing. Ballard has got to be smiling.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:36 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Whoever we dump will likely end up on other teams. Krishawn Hogan could make it to the PS. But I doubt Cain does, Fountain is a possibility. Same with Marvell Tell, teams likely know who a USC safety is and I doubt they can stash him there.

The question is, do you think Fountain and Cain are done growing or have a higher ceiling compared to Pascal, Rogers, Johnson. Will they keep 5 or 6, they have talked about keeping five. They want four running backs and four TEs. Then how many secondary guys?

TY, Funchess, Cambell, Rogers are likely locks. The next in line is Pascal I believe, then Cain, then Johnson, then Fountain. According to reports by Kevin Bowen. I'm not a Rogers fan, he came on later in the year, but I feel like we have seen his peak. Also because they used draft picks on those guys, are they more weighted? I don't know if they are. I feel like Cain and Fountain are just starting to emerge, but will they be better players in the long run that the other guys.

As for the special teams stuff. I feel special teams are so neutered these days, as long as you don't have utter incompetence there, you should be ok. I don't think there will be room for a special teams ace like Milton this year.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:49 PM

Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,135 Posts

OC was on radio a bit ago, praised WR coach. Talked about the development he has seen, how impressive it has been, and made what I thought was a VERY telling; "those guys are all out there making plays everyday in camp. Fountain had a great day yesterday, Cain has been coming on, Johnson is a guy rising. I'm probably forgetting someone but they are all out there competing for those 5/6 WR spots".

I read that to say they are probably keeping 6- and by the sounds of it, man they are going to have a #2.5 down at the 5-6 slot.

TY, Funchess, PC, Rogers, Fountain, Cain would seem to have roster spots at this point.