ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-12-2018, 07:01 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

I still like the idea of starting Anderson at Strong Side DE on run downs, and sliding him to UT on passing downs and moving the UT to NT, then have Sheard come in at SSDE.

Also, I would give Mingo a shot at WILL, he might not make the leap, but whatta we have to lose?
Old 02-12-2018, 07:18 PM

Thanked 1,889 Times in 921 Posts

I think this move towards a hybrid Tampa 2 is an opportunity for Hooker, with his range. He could flourish in a defense like that, if he recovers from the knee.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:53 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I still like the idea of starting Anderson at Strong Side DE on run downs, and sliding him to UT on passing downs and moving the UT to NT, then have Sheard come in at SSDE.

Also, I would give Mingo a shot at WILL, he might not make the leap, but whatta we have to lose?
I don’t like any of that.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:48 PM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
I still like the idea of starting Anderson at Strong Side DE on run downs,
Maybe on short yardage/goal line. I doubt Mingo has a place on the Colts, but if anywhere it would seem Will would be the most likely. Honestly, they need to wipe the board at LB and start over.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:12 PM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Maybe on short yardage/goal line. I doubt Mingo has a place on the Colts, but if anywhere it would seem Will would be the most likely. Honestly, they need to wipe the board at LB and start over.
John Simon at SSLB is a good fit.

Sheard to DE.

I would give Walker (MLB) and George (WSLB) another year as depth to develope.

Otherwise? Replace them all.

Walk Worthy,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2018, 09:20 PM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
John Simon at SSLB is a good fit.

Sheard to DE.

I would give Walker (MLB) and George (WSLB) another year as depth to develope.

Otherwise? Replace them all.

Walk Worthy,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
True Simon could be a decent Sam, Sheard I was already assuming would go to DE.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:36 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
I don’t like any of that.
Well everything is going to be kinda in flux here. They've gotta try out guys at different spots and see what they can do.

We really don't have a true UT either. Maybe Ballard can does a trade back and then we come up with Roquan Smith and Maurice Hurst.

So you wanna see Sheard at LDE? I think we will get bludgeoned in the run game with him at LDE.

As far as Mingo goes, he's under contract I believe, let him fight it out with George and whoever the Colts bring in to compete at WILL. I mean he's failed at pretty much everything else.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:41 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Well everything is going to be kinda in flux here. They've gotta try out guys at different spots and see what they can do.

We really don't have a true UT either. Maybe Ballard can does a trade back and then we come up with Roquan Smith and Maurice Hurst.

So you wanna see Sheard at LDE? I think we will get bludgeoned in the run game with him at LDE.

As far as Mingo goes, he's under contract I believe, let him fight it out with George and whoever the Colts bring in to compete at WILL. I mean he's failed at pretty much everything else.
I think Sheard will look better against the run when there are a couple athletic LBs behind him.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:56 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:

A true ut? Anderson has played that well. I think Hankins might be able to do it. The dt’s Don’t worry me at all
Old 02-14-2018, 11:10 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Why would Sheard be a problem in the run game on the left side? He had a good year all-around, not just rushing the passer. I think his game fits the strong side.

And yeah, Anderson should do well at UT. I know lots of Colts fans have written him off because he's "injury prone" now but that's dumb. The fact that he's not a short squat Aaron Donald or Gino Atkins type doesn't mean he can't penetrate. He's proven he can. The only time I could see Anderson moving to end would be in heavy/goal line packages when they want to get both Hankins and Woods in there together. I would expect Anderson and Hankins to start in the middle, Sheard start at one of the ends, and a drafted or signed player to take the other end spot.

There are a number of edge rushers I'd look at in FA:

Demarcus Lawrence - He'd start but he'll probably be kept by Dallas.
Ezekiel Ansah - Starter if healthy, but probably a rotational piece going forward.
Dion Jordan - I wanted no part of him as a rookie. But he got 4 sacks in 5 games late in the season for the Seahawks. I read his story and I'd be happy if Ballard gave him a shot. He probably wants to stay on the west coast though.
Dee Ford - Probably a rotational player on the right side only, Ballard likely had a big part in scouting him.
Trent Murphy - More of a rotational strong side player, but we have the cap and his injury might drive his price down.
Alex Okafor - Rotational pass rush
Dwight Freeney - if he can still rotate in why not bring him back for one last season?

Realistically though, we should probably just draft Chubb at #3 if we want a long-term starter at RDE. Lawrence isn't leaving Dallas, Ansah might not be durable enough to start, and the rest of the guys haven't proven they're worthy of a high-end starter contract.

Last edited by FatDT; 02-14-2018 at 11:20 AM.