ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,608 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Disguising coverage isn’t new, but that is usually involving the oline and trying to figure out who is rushing the passer. This puts the onus squarely on the QB and WR’s. Wr’s already have to be on the same page as QBs and have a lot more pre read adjustments than they did say 20 years ago. But this is effective because it increases the amount of processing time by the QB. He will likely have to go through his progression, and it does create doubt that he might not be reading the defense correctly. Hence, the QB needs to hold the ball a little longer allowing the pass rush a better opportunity.

I’m kind of surprised no one has done this before. I always thought the motion man was such an easy tell. Hell I do it almost every play in Madden to see the defense. I have not seen a defense motion their players to match the offense then be able to drop into an effective zone. I expect this will take off in the off season and we will see it a lot next year. It’s a copycat league.
A lot of coverage disguise is to fool QBs as well. For example, showing a 2 deep look and then rolling the safeties to drop into a Cover 3 is designed to get the QB to read Cover 2 and throw to what would be the holes in that type of coverage, where ideally you'll have a defender waiting to pick the pass. If a QB were to throw deep middle in that example, which is a classic hole of a Cover 2, the defense would be hoping that that would place their best ballhawking safety in position to intercept the pass or at least bat it down.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:21 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Disguising coverage isn’t new, but that is usually involving the oline and trying to figure out who is rushing the passer. This puts the onus squarely on the QB and WR’s. Wr’s already have to be on the same page as QBs and have a lot more pre read adjustments than they did say 20 years ago. But this is effective because it increases the amount of processing time by the QB. He will likely have to go through his progression, and it does create doubt that he might not be reading the defense correctly. Hence, the QB needs to hold the ball a little longer allowing the pass rush a better opportunity.

I’m kind of surprised no one has done this before. I always thought the motion man was such an easy tell. Hell I do it almost every play in Madden to see the defense. I have not seen a defense motion their players to match the offense then be able to drop into an effective zone. I expect this will take off in the off season and we will see it a lot next year. It’s a copycat league.
You could get seriously burned by deploying this too often. I bet the Colts saw something on tape to suggest that the RB was never one of Houston's primary reads, so they were comfortable with the disguise.

Furthermore, Houston likely would have picked up the 1st if not for Kenny Moore reading the play and leaving his zone. He passed off his man too early and gambled, but it paid off. If Watson throws that ball up the seam, it's a big gain. But that's where the disguise came into play. If Watson was able to read the zone coverage, he would've been more likely to watch for the seam route.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:46 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,610 Times in 2,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
A lot of coverage disguise is to fool QBs as well. For example, showing a 2 deep look and then rolling the safeties to drop into a Cover 3 is designed to get the QB to read Cover 2 and throw to what would be the holes in that type of coverage, where ideally you'll have a defender waiting to pick the pass. If a QB were to throw deep middle in that example, which is a classic hole of a Cover 2, the defense would be hoping that that would place their best ballhawking safety in position to intercept the pass or at least bat it down.
But QBs are trained to read the safety to determine what they are doing back there. They are already doing that post snap. This takes a fairly reliable pre-snap read and throws it out the window. It also ducks with the Chiefs even more because Mahomes depends on Reid feeding him the read on the defense pre-snap so he doesn’t have to do as much processing. So add the pressure of the divisional round then add that he won’t get as much help from the sideline. I like our chances.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 05:50 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
You could get seriously burned by deploying this too often. I bet the Colts saw something on tape to suggest that the RB was never one of Houston's primary reads, so they were comfortable with the disguise.

Furthermore, Houston likely would have picked up the 1st if not for Kenny Moore reading the play and leaving his zone. He passed off his man too early and gambled, but it paid off. If Watson throws that ball up the seam, it's a big gain. But that's where the disguise came into play. If Watson was able to read the zone coverage, he would've been more likely to watch for the seam route.
Only if you know they are going to do it. You would have to find a tell. Not going to do that in a week. I don’t know how you would tell they are going to do this. WRs would have to react mid play and the QB would have to know exactly how the receivers will react. Or you could just keep running someone up the seam and hope you catch them doing it. I don’t really see any downside to it.

Watson just isn’t that good at reading defenses yet.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:58 PM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

It's been covered I'm sure, but I kinda hope it snows. I don't think that KC will be half as good in bad weather or a snow globe
Old 01-11-2019, 06:02 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,608 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylok View Post
It's been covered I'm sure, but I kinda hope it snows. I don't think that KC will be half as good in bad weather or a snow globe
It's already snowing in Kansas City and the forecast shows snow through the game tomorrow according to the Weather Channel.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:59 PM

I'll be surprised if KC scores less than 30.

The D hasn't seen anything like this pretty much all year.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:04 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonTails View Post

We need to keep them about a TD below their average and score a TD above our average. I think we can do both. Weather permitting, should see a decent amount of scoring.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:51 PM

Thanked 4,282 Times in 1,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonTails View Post

Yep. I have a feeling the colts will have to put up high 30’s to win
Old 01-11-2019, 08:31 PM

Thanked 4,373 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Yep. I have a feeling the colts will have to put up high 30’s to win
I see the final score as 38-35, with AV kicking the winner in the snow as time runs out.
1965southpaw (01-11-2019)