ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-27-2024, 03:28 PM

Thanked 2,665 Times in 1,182 Posts
Default Colts draft S Jaylin Simpson - Round 5, Pick 164

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/st...02797518672114

Quote:
The Colts use their third pick of the 5th round on Auburn S Jaylin Simpson.
https://twitter.com/ZachHicks2/statu...03506582585458

Quote:
Just for everyone keeping track at home:

Jaylon Carlies S -> LB

Jaylin Simpson S -> CB (most likely)
https://twitter.com/ZachHicks2/statu...03034517856267

Quote:
Jaylin Simpson will likely be the backup nickel CB.

Much smaller than the typical Colts' corner but super athletic with long arms
https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1784303003354234913

Quote:
Jaylin Simpson was drafted in round 5 pick 164 in the 2024 draft class.

He scored a 7.40 RAS out of a possible 10.00.

This ranked 285 out of 1093 FS from 1987 to 2024.

Last edited by AlwaysSunnyinIndy; 04-27-2024 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-27-2024, 04:22 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

They might try this guy at corner. He played corner before switching to safety. His footwork is funky and needs work but all the measurables are there for him to play outside corner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (04-28-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 07:16 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,660 Times in 960 Posts

Look at the testing numbers and arms on this guy, there's no doubt the Colts are moving him to CB.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2024, 10:49 PM

Thanked 1,664 Times in 795 Posts

Zach Hicks mentioning Slot CB... It looks like he's a slightly taller Kenny Moore clone as far as measurables.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 06:33 AM

Thanked 2,665 Times in 1,182 Posts

Auburn wrote up a profile of each of their players projected to be drafted. They included Dane Brugler's scouting report as well.

https://auburntigers.com/news/2024/4...jaylin-simpson

Quote:
AUBURN, Ala. – In the transfer portal era, Jaylin Simpson exemplifies an exception to the rule.

He came to Auburn, and here he stayed. Through five seasons and three head coaches, Simpson made his mark, enjoying an All-SEC senior season that positioned him for an NFL opportunity.

The 6-1 safety made four interceptions in 2023, finishing with 118 career tackles and seven INTs.

"It's been a long waiting game," he said. "Now after the Senior Bowl and the Combine, you're just waiting, doing interviews. It's been good. I'm just ready to get to that next level, start all over and continue to show why I think I'm one of the best.

"I'm ready to continue to do what I was destined for. Continue to grow as a player, continue to show everybody why I feel like I'm one of the best players in the country, one of the best safeties in the draft."

Before Auburn's A-Day scrimmage, Simpson received the Zeke Smith Award for being the Tigers' defensive player of the year in 2023.

"Blessed and thankful for these fans and my teammates who are getting ready to play," Simpson said April 6 on Pat Dye Field. "I couldn't have done this without them."

Simpson leaves with fond memories of his time on the Plains.

"People ask me all the time what's the best stadium you played at," he said. "It's this one. This helps you win games. They love you until the very end. I received nothing but love my entire time here. That always drove me and pushed me to play for them and play for the guys to the left and the right of me."

Scouting Report by Dane Brugler, The Athletic:

A one-year starter at Auburn, Simpson played a free safety/nickel role in former defensive coordinator Ron Roberts' man/zone coverage looks (played for four different defensive coordinators). After serving as a rotational corner as an underclassman, he moved inside in 2023 and delivered an impactful final season with a team-best four interceptions (all in the first five games), spending most of his time in the slot and playing a mix of press and off coverage. A long, rangy athlete, Simpson anticipates well in coverage, and he has the explosive lower body to transition and drive on throws with impeccable timing. With the ability to play man-to-man or line up in the post, his experience across the secondary is a strength — but he also has some cornerback-safety tweener traits, including his slight, under-powered size.

Overall, Simpson's inconsistencies in the run game aren't ideal for a nickel role, but his reactionary athleticism and ball-hawking instincts are superb and what will drive the discussion when NFL teams put his tag on the draft board. Although he is off some NFL boards because of his size, he projects best as a versatile role player in the secondary and potential special teamer.

Grade: 4th Round