ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-11-2022, 10:24 AM

Thanked 1,339 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSayDayo View Post
I am among those that believe Luck would have eventually had to face these same issues, mentally speaking, even if injuries never played into his career arc.
If he wasn't injured, no doubt it would have been the external pressure of winning a Superbowl that would have weighed heavily on him. A lot of the things that turned him into a cold drone to his wife and friends were the same, weather they impacted his rehab process or his preparation process as a healthy player. The guy didn't like who he was when he was relied upon to be the face of the franchise-who made all of the decisions and ordered food for everyone else at restaurants. This had nothing to do with rehab- the injuries and rehab simply exasperated the problem.

He would have retired early (perhaps for introverted reasons, pressure from his wife which was evident in the article) if he remained healthy. But that in itself is a long shot, as he played with heart and often took big hits. Andrew Luck was bigger than football and he eventually realized it. He was a gifted athlete with a gifted mind, and luckily for him, his mind won out on that decision. I don't think he wanted to finish his career with the cerebral aptitude of Antonio Brown. A man with the mind of Andrew Luck really didn't have any business in a Neanderthals NFL world.
Peyton had football intelligence that was off the charts- but I don't think he had a fraction of the introspective capabilities of Andrew Luck to ever even question his self worth.
In the example of Peyton vs Luck and where they vastly differed - Peyton benefitted from introspective ignorance, and the good fortune of playing for over 10 years with little to no major injuries.
I agree with you, especially after reading the article. The injuries definitely expedited things, but it sounds like ultimately he just wasn't mentally and emotionally equipped to be the face of a franchise. And on top of that he wasn't able to maintain any sort of work life balance. I think if/when he graduates and gets out into the real world he's going to still struggle with work/life balance since he's already had to drop classes in the his first semester b/c of this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (12-11-2022), Racehorse (12-11-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 01:13 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
I agree with you, especially after reading the article. The injuries definitely expedited things, but it sounds like ultimately he just wasn't mentally and emotionally equipped to be the face of a franchise. And on top of that he wasn't able to maintain any sort of work life balance. I think if/when he graduates and gets out into the real world he's going to still struggle with work/life balance since he's already had to drop classes in the his first semester b/c of this.
Dropping some classes is finding balance. There are many reasons for dropping classes, since he is a stay at home dad
Old 12-11-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Dropping some classes is finding balance. There are many reasons for dropping classes, since he is a stay at home dad
Maybe, but I doubt a full time teaching and coaching job, which is what he said he wants to do, will be less demanding than grad school.
The Following User Says Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
TheMugwump (12-17-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 06:32 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Maybe, but I doubt a full time teaching and coaching job, which is what he said he wants to do, will be less demanding than grad school.
Not knowing Ca. Standards for receiving a teaching license, he would need core secondary ed methodology classes, Ed psych, a semester of student teaching. With all the dumb things that get classroom teachers in trouble, educational law (teacher and student rights)
Old 12-11-2022, 07:00 PM

Thanks for posting this!
Old 12-11-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Not knowing Ca. Standards for receiving a teaching license, he would need core secondary ed methodology classes, Ed psych, a semester of student teaching. With all the dumb things that get classroom teachers in trouble, educational law (teacher and student rights)
Not saying that his teaching masters is going to be a walk in the park. Just saying that a full time teaching and coaching gig will probably be pretty demanding. Of course he won't need to rely on it financially, so he can walk away from it at any time if he can't handle it.
Old 12-11-2022, 08:52 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Not saying that his teaching masters is going to be a walk in the park. Just saying that a full time teaching and coaching gig will probably be pretty demanding. Of course he won't need to rely on it financially, so he can walk away from it at any time if he can't handle it.
For Indiana, :

To get a teaching license for secondary ed you need a major in ed and a minor or a major in your subject. Emergency license , just a major in the area and an emergency certificate for education.

I dont know why he would want a masters, its not necessary for the classroom. If he is thinking about being an AD, or asst principle thats 1 1/2 years if you are just taking summer classes.

States vary. If he really wants to be an educator, stay out of the office, stay in the classroom.

My opinion only. The best educator (principal) should spend 90% of their time with the kids and 10% with the bullshit paper work. Thats not the case and thats the biggest problem in schools. Hire an accountant for the paperwork and free up educators to educate
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
TheMugwump (12-17-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 09:38 PM

Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,533 Posts

Quote:
For Indiana, :

To get a teaching license for secondary ed you need a major in ed and a minor or a major in your subject. Emergency license , just a major in the area and an emergency certificate for education.

I dont know why he would want a masters, its not necessary for the classroom. If he is thinking about being an AD, or asst principle thats 1 1/2 years if you are just taking summer classes.

States vary. If he really wants to be an educator, stay out of the office, stay in the classroom.

My opinion only. The best educator (principal) should spend 90% of their time with the kids and 10% with the bullshit paper work. Thats not the case and thats the biggest problem in schools. Hire an accountant for the paperwork and free up educators to educate
It could be that he needs to get the education classes, and is already taking Master's classes in something else, so he is already paying that rate now.
JAFF (12-11-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 03:25 PM

Thanked 1,572 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Having done both in my life, you are 100% correct. Doing either while being the primary care-giver of children would only add to the challenge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMugwump For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (12-17-2022), Racehorse (12-18-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 06:21 PM
Post whore

Quote:
He can get EdM, it is about attention to detail, knowing Ed history AND Ed law. Its not physics