ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 04-29-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
How do they know Ballard wanted Higgins? I highly doubt that they did.
I’m pretty sure they are twisting one of Ballard’s comments. He said once they say Higgins get selected, they knew it was time to draft Pittman. I took it to mean they didn’t think he would last until the second pick in the second round, not that they wanted Higgins.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:21 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
I agree - I don't think they were targeting Higgins.

Maybe Walter Football based that on one of Ballard's comments in the Draft Day 2 Wrap Up interview? He was talking about trading up so that the Colts could select Taylor and he made a comment along the lines of - "it is the worst thing in the world when somebody gets taken right in front of you." Maybe Walter Football thought he was referencing Higgins being selected right before them at 33?
We really have no way to know. I doubt walter football is listening to post draft comments on teams websites. Are they doing that for all 32? Since both receivers were training at Houshmanzadeh's facility, either they were talking and exchanging notes with each other and the other players training there (Burrow, John Ross, etc.). Lots of Bengals there. Or there was some mis-information fed to WF. I read or was told a couple years ago that teams feed WF mis-information. So either seems more likely to me.

I listened to an interview with Houshmanzadeh a couple weeks ago on NFL radio and he was talking about John Ross and the draft prospects he was training. He compared Higgins to AJ Green and said that he had tweaked something before his 40 time and said he should not have run but was talked into it. Said he tests much better than he did at the combine. He talked about a few other guys, can't remember if he talked about Pittman. But considering how many Bengals and future Bengals were there not surprised. Hell, Burrow might have said he wanted them to draft Higgins.

Either way, seems a lot of information/mis-information was floating out there. Packers moved up b/c they were convinced we were going to trade up for Love. We moved up ahead of the Jags b/c we thought they wanted Taylor. So hard to say what the truth is.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:43 PM

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,147 Posts

https://twitter.com/jimayello/status...70123007119366

Quote:
Just talked to T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who coached Pittman throughout draft process.

Pittman called him Friday morning: "I hope the Colts pick me."

T.J.: "Don't worry about it. Doesn't matter if it's early 2nd or later. You'll be fine.

Pittman: "No, I hope the Colts draft me."

https://twitter.com/jimayello/status...70958856327180

Quote:
Less than 45 minutes after Colts drafted him, Michael Pittman texted Houshmandzadeh, "Let's go to work."

"Two hours later, we were on the field training."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (06-22-2020), Discflinger (05-01-2020), Racehorse (04-30-2020), Spike (04-30-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 10:27 AM
Historian

Thanked 3,247 Times in 1,998 Posts

o

Colts Scout's Take: Wide Receiver Michael Pittman

(By Kevin Bowen)

https://www.1075thefan.com/featured/...chael-pittman/

INDIANAPOLIS - When you are an NFL area scout in the western region of the United States, no college should be more on your radar than USC.

Southern California ranks right up there with any college in numbers of drafted players throughout the years. Out west, they frequently have the most players drafted.

So, for Colts area scout Chris McGaha, who mans the west region, he frequents USC practices and games quite often.

What did McGaha witness in seeing USC practices over the past two seasons?

Michael Pittman dominating.

“Watching him in practice, I never saw him lose a one-on-one rep,” McGaha says of Pittman. “I know that might sound crazy, but it’s true.

“The coaches at USC, they’re great, they let you stay for the entire practice, so I would really dial in when it was 1-on-1 time and watch him compete and see what kind of competitor he was. I’m not just saying this, but I never saw him lose a one-on-one rep all the times I was there for practice.”

McGaha believes that spoke to the competitiveness that Pittman, who is the son of an 11-year NFL running back, brings to the Colts.

The wins were done in a quiet manner after the play, too, something Colts fans are used to dating back to Marvin Harrison’s time in Indianapolis.

“(Pittman) wasn’t a guy who would win a rep and let you know about it either,” McGaha says. “He would just go about his business. He’d win a rep and then jog back to the huddle.”

Pittman, who was a strong special teams player early in his career at USC, thought about entering the draft following his junior season.

After 41 catches for 758 yards and 6 touchdowns as a junior, Pittman decided to return for one more season, ending his career at USC with a bang.

Despite having a true freshman at quarterback for a majority of his final season at USC, Pittman caught 101 balls for 1,275 yards and 11 touchdowns.

“Michael’s a big kid and he’s a reliable target and a physical player,” McGaha says. “He’s fast. He’s a guy that plays above the rim. He brings an element that we were missing to our wideout room—that big-bodied presence.”

Listed at 6-4 and 223 pounds, Pittman is known for his ability to highpoint 50/50 balls and come down with them.

The Colts see Pittman often play to that size.

“He’s a tough matchup for corners because there’s a lot of guys who are big but they don’t necessarily play big all the time,” assistant director of college scouting Matt Terpening says. “(Pittman) plays big. And he’s got great ball skills, and he can win at the catch point with his size, but he’s got such good hands where he can win and fight through that first hit, that first contact. That’s something that really drew us to him.

“He can win the jump ball, and it’s easier said than done, but some guys just have a knack for it. He’s got a knack for it.”

Terpening saw Pittman play twice last season and came away thinking he just saw one of college football’s more dominant players.

As a veteran scout for the Colts, Terpening also sees a prospect who checks many of the important Chris Ballard marks.

Mentally?

“He’s got makeup and character. He’s a captain, great leader, smart.”

Physically?

“He’s big and strong. He can win at all three levels.

That’s the ideal package coming into the Colts receiver room.

“He’s got all the things you look for from off the field, on the field—size, smarts.”

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck