ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-23-2018, 08:32 AM
testcase448

Default f.... Colts' chances of drafting Bradley Chubb impacted after Giants trade

Trading down looking less appealing if this happens

The New York Giants pulled off a trade Thursday morning with the Buccaneers, sending defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul and a fourth-round pick to Tampa Bay for a third- and fourth-round selection in the 2018 NFL Draft.

With the Giants losing one of their starting defensive ends, the chances of the Indianapolis Colts drafting top edge rusher Bradley Chubb might have been impacted in a big way.

Now that the Giants have traded Jason Pierre-Paul to the Buccaneers, maybe they consider Bradley Chubb at No. 2.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 22, 2018

The most direct way the trade impacts the Colts is that the Giants can now take Chubb with the No. 2 overall pick if they don’t want to take a quarterback.

New Giants general manager Dave Gettleman has stressed the importance of taking players at valued positions high in the draft and edge rusher might be just below quarterback on that list.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:04 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

I still don't see how the Giants wouldn't take a QB here.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:14 AM

Thanked 1,195 Times in 527 Posts

While conventional wisdom says QB when that high (and your franchise QB is 37 years old), old Bill Polian said that when you draft this high, you pick a QB, a guy to protect your QB (LT) or a guy to sack the other guy's QB (pass rush).

No LT is worthy of a top 5 / 10 pick this year so your choices are QB or pass rush. If they think that Eli has a few years left in him, then you go after the one "complete" pass rusher in the draft at #2.

That really does not hurt us a ton because that assures one of 2 scenarios:

1. Either Barkley or Nelson fall to us at #6 if 3 QBs are taken in the top 5.

-- OR --

2. All three Chubb/Barkley/Nelson are taken and the #3 QB is still undrafted at #6 meaning SOMEONE will pay a king's ransom to trade up into the slot.

Do I want Chubb? I sure do.

However, would I also take Trumaine Edwards / Roquan Smith + a stud drafted at #21 + a kid drafted in the 3rd round by trading with the Bills? Yeah, I would love that too.

We have 4 picks in the top 50 and 5 picks in the top 67.

Would I rather have 5 picks in the top 50 and 7 picks in the top 67? Yes Sir!

1 - 12
1 - 21
2 - 4 (36)
2 - 5 (37)
2 - 17 (49)
3 - 1 (65)
3 - 3 (67)

THAT is how you rebuild a team. Perhaps you are not getting an ELITE player by trading from 3 to 6 to 12. But you are getting a TON of quality guys whom you will hopefully develop into the core of your team for years to come.

Plus add back Luck, Hooker and Anderson with Wilson actually playing the whole year? Lots of positives over last season.

If NYG draft Chubb at #2 then they do. It would be a good move by them; he is arguably the best player in the draft (beside Barkley and Nelson).

That does not doom our draft, however.

Walk Worthy,

Last edited by sherck; 03-23-2018 at 09:17 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Hoopsdoc (03-23-2018), Oldcolt (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 10:36 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

I think a lot of misdirection/BS is coming out of the NYG front office with Gettleman in charge. Remember how Norwell was a lock to go to the Giants in FA? I'll believe they take Chubb at #2 when I see it.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:39 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

If the Colts had re-signed Melvin, none of this would have happened.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
While conventional wisdom says QB when that high (and your franchise QB is 37 years old), old Bill Polian said that when you draft this high, you pick a QB, a guy to protect your QB (LT) or a guy to sack the other guy's QB (pass rush).

No LT is worthy of a top 5 / 10 pick this year so your choices are QB or pass rush. If they think that Eli has a few years left in him, then you go after the one "complete" pass rusher in the draft at #2.

That really does not hurt us a ton because that assures one of 2 scenarios:

1. Either Barkley or Nelson fall to us at #6 if 3 QBs are taken in the top 5.

-- OR --

2. All three Chubb/Barkley/Nelson are taken and the #3 QB is still undrafted at #6 meaning SOMEONE will pay a king's ransom to trade up into the slot.

Do I want Chubb? I sure do.

However, would I also take Trumaine Edwards / Roquan Smith + a stud drafted at #21 + a kid drafted in the 3rd round by trading with the Bills? Yeah, I would love that too.

We have 4 picks in the top 50 and 5 picks in the top 67.

Would I rather have 5 picks in the top 50 and 7 picks in the top 67? Yes Sir!

1 - 12
1 - 21
2 - 4 (36)
2 - 5 (37)
2 - 17 (49)
3 - 1 (65)
3 - 3 (67)

THAT is how you rebuild a team. Perhaps you are not getting an ELITE player by trading from 3 to 6 to 12. But you are getting a TON of quality guys whom you will hopefully develop into the core of your team for years to come.

Plus add back Luck, Hooker and Anderson with Wilson actually playing the whole year? Lots of positives over last season.

If NYG draft Chubb at #2 then they do. It would be a good move by them; he is arguably the best player in the draft (beside Barkley and Nelson).

That does not doom our draft, however.

Walk Worthy,
Agreed. Colts are in a good spot regardless.

The one thing that’s been bugging me is that Ballard didn’t get the Jets 2019 1st. Maybe the Jets were adamant about not moving it, but I would rather have their 2019 1st than pick 49, for example.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:42 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,614 Times in 939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
I think a lot of misdirection/BS is coming out of the NYG front office with Gettleman in charge. Remember how Norwell was a lock to go to the Giants in FA? I'll believe they take Chubb at #2 when I see it.
Exactly. I think Gettleman's goal here is to do anything he can to get the Browns to not take a QB at 1 so he can have his choice of QBs.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:44 AM

Schefter is also saying that Giants are in full rebuild mode. Eli is 37, does anyone thin they go from 2 wins to competitive before he retires? You take the QB 10 times out of 10 in that situation. They're in the same situation as we were in 2012.

Be more concerned about Browns and Broncos. Either picking themselves or trading.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy14 View Post
Schefter is also saying that Giants are in full rebuild mode. Eli is 37, does anyone thin they go from 2 wins to competitive before he retires? You take the QB 10 times out of 10 in that situation. They're in the same situation as we were in 2012.

Be more concerned about Browns and Broncos. Either picking themselves or trading.
For the Browns, I think it depends on what Dorsey thinks of Ogbah. He’s a good player and I would be looking more at Fitzpatrick, Barkley, and Nelson if I were the Browns.

For Denver, Elway needs to get a QB.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:12 AM

If Chubbs is picked then there is one more QB available at six and Buffalo may trade up, so more picks and trade back again.