ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-27-2018, 12:50 PM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
No way is a RB or guard worth the #3 pick. Barkley and Nelson are probably going to be very good players. But you don't need a top 5 pick at either position to have an elite player there. On the other hand you usually do need a top 1st rounder to have an elite pass rusher. Passing on Chubb seems like a bad choice to me, we are hurting for 4-3 DEs and that is one of the few positions where an individual makes the most difference on an NFL team.
This is basically my feeling, and even if I agree with Brett Kollman's most recent film room, in which he says Barkley is the best RB prospect in over a decade and is the second coming of LaDainian Tomlinson, I still don't know about taking him at 3. I'd hate to miss out on him, but I'd likewise hate to leave holes on a defense that is more full of holes than the offense.

Also, not sure why Chubb wouldn't have an immediate Freeney-like impact. He's a slightly different kind of player so may not expect the speed-demon outside rushes, but he is still the kind of guy who can come in and have an impact right away.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:54 PM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
This is basically my feeling, and even if I agree with Brett Kollman's most recent film room, in which he says Barkley is the best RB prospect in over a decade and is the second coming of LaDainian Tomlinson, I still don't know about taking him at 3. I'd hate to miss out on him, but I'd likewise hate to leave holes on a defense that is more full of holes than the offense.

Also, not sure why Chubb wouldn't have an immediate Freeney-like impact. He's a slightly different kind of player so may not expect the speed-demon outside rushes, but he is still the kind of guy who can come in and have an impact right away.
The question on my mind is not if Chubb cannot have an immediate impact.

My question is if he is THAT much better than Arden Key whom will very probably be available at the top of the 2nd round?

Or is Chubb that much better than Davenport where we could trade back, pick up more 2nd or 3rd round picks and then pick Davenport in the middle of the 1st round?

If people were saying that he is Von Miller-like, then you take him at #3 no questions asked.

But folks are saying that he is complete and good and NFL ready but not transcendent.

I would like more picks for potentially good NFL players rather than less picks for potentially great NFL players. Lets get all 22 spots up to NFL average / good before worrying about NFL great.

Walk Worthy,
Old 02-27-2018, 03:38 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
I would love to add Norwell and go with young defenders in the draft. However, I see Roquan Smith as the player that you have to try to get. He is a field general and very good all over the field. I would even reach a couple picks or so to get him, because he is going to be that good.
I'm not quite done watching film on him yet, but Smith seems undersized and like solid coverage LB who will struggle in run support in the NFL. He's going to have to learn how to fight through blocks better (losing squared up with TEs is bad news in the NFL) and he needs to finish plays better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post

My question is if he is THAT much better than Arden Key whom will very probably be available at the top of the 2nd round?

Or is Chubb that much better than Davenport where we could trade back, pick up more 2nd or 3rd round picks and then pick Davenport in the middle of the 1st round?

If people were saying that he is Von Miller-like, then you take him at #3 no questions asked.

But folks are saying that he is complete and good and NFL ready but not transcendent.

I would like more picks for potentially good NFL players rather than less picks for potentially great NFL players. Lets get all 22 spots up to NFL average / good before worrying about NFL great.

Walk Worthy,
I've heard Chubb compared to Joey Bosa and Mario Williams. I've seen him take over games and singlehandedly wreck offensive gameplans. As I said in the other thread, he reminds me of Jared Allen because of how polished of a technician and NFL ready he is. If you're debating Chubb vs. Davenport, the right question isn't how much better is Chubb than Davenport now (because Chubb is leaps and bounds better currently), it's who will be better in 5 years. My answer to that is I'm fairly confident that Chubb will be a pro bowler and in the all pro conversation, while Davenport will either be an all pro himself, or a struggling backup somewhere. Davenport has all the tools and needs a lot of coaching to refine his technique. Chubb is NFL ready now and will likely become an impact player. I'd take Chubb between the two because the floor is much higher while the ceiling is comparable, but there's no doubt that Davenport has the higher ceiling. It's just not by much.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:07 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Sherck all you need to know about Arden Key is that his production came when he was 235 lbs. He ran around blockers. That was 2016. Since then he ballooned up to 280 while taking time off from football, came back around 260, and did nothing his final year of college ball. I wouldn't touch him until the 4th and that's if he had a reasonable explanation for the off field stuff. Seems like an athlete that doesn't really want to play football.

I also think the "Chubb is solid but not great" stuff came from one early comment weeks ago when someone said "He's not Miles Garrett but he's the best edge rusher in this class". Since then I've read many glowing reports on him highlighting his athleticism, technique, strength, football knowledge, and motor. I've watched games where he has been an unblockable force of nature. I don't think he's going to run a 4.5 40 but the Combine should put to rest any questions about how athletic he is. He is not just the tallest midget, he is a defense-changing prospect and we are lucky to be in position to get him (assuming he doesn't go before we pick).

Last edited by FatDT; 02-27-2018 at 04:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
njcoltfan (02-28-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 06:20 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Chubb. If for some weird reason he's taken at 1 or 2, trade back to later in the top 10 and pick Smith or Nelson.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:24 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post

Walk Worthy,
Bradley Chubb on the Colts fast surface is a perennial All Pro. So what if he's Jared Allen and not Lawrence Taylor? Don't overthink this.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Spike (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 08:06 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Swing posts here again?
Kind of cool, huh?
Old 02-27-2018, 08:32 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

The 2nd best pass rusher in this draft is Harold Landry.

What the drop-off is between Chubb and Landry is the key question.

I don't know the answer to that question. But I do know that you have to watch Landry's junior season to get the truer answer.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Sherck all you need to know about Arden Key is that his production came when he was 235 lbs. He ran around blockers. That was 2016. Since then he ballooned up to 280 while taking time off from football, came back around 260, and did nothing his final year of college ball. I wouldn't touch him until the 4th and that's if he had a reasonable explanation for the off field stuff. Seems like an athlete that doesn't really want to play football.

I also think the "Chubb is solid but not great" stuff came from one early comment weeks ago when someone said "He's not Miles Garrett but he's the best edge rusher in this class". Since then I've read many glowing reports on him highlighting his athleticism, technique, strength, football knowledge, and motor. I've watched games where he has been an unblockable force of nature. I don't think he's going to run a 4.5 40 but the Combine should put to rest any questions about how athletic he is. He is not just the tallest midget, he is a defense-changing prospect and we are lucky to be in position to get him (assuming he doesn't go before we pick).
I couldn't have said it better myself !! Chubb is the #1 defensive player in this years draft, if Ballard passes on him I will lose a lot of faith in him. You can bolster the OL in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, NOT at pick #3.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:57 PM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

O-Line Dream Scenario:

#1 Re-sign Jack Mewhort on a 1-year "prove it" deal with big incentives.

#2 Win the Andrew Norwell contest by backing up a HUGE truck load of money.

#3 Sign OT Cameron Flemming from the Cheats to a low-end starter contract.

#4 Draft one of the following OGs in the 2nd or 3rd rounds of the draft: Isaiah Wynn (Georgia, 2nd round), Will Hernandez (UTEP, 2nd round), Billy Price (OSU, 3rd round), Will Clapp (LSU 3rd round)

We could get greedy and say sign Nate Solder instead of Flemming but I think Solder will be way overpaid and I think Ballard only geeks on one huge O-Line contract. If so, I would want Norwell over Solder.

That gives us a depth chart of:

OT = Anthony Castonzo, Cameron Flemming, Denzelle Good, Joe Haeg

OG = Andrew Norwell, Jack Mewhort, Rookie, Le'Raven Clark

OC = Ryan Kelly, Mike Person

So, the whole rest of the draft can be used for defense and/or offensive speciality positions and we only brought in 2 outside veteran free agents.

My guess is that we will end up with a whole lot less than ideal but it is what it is.

However, that is what I would love to see happen for the offensive line.

Walk Worthy,