ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-13-2019, 04:10 PM
Accidental Administrator

Default Desir

How lucky were we to watch Desir develop into a decent corner? I was pretty down on him last year for the few games that he played, and I think Omaha was as well.

I don't think he grew at all under the Pagano system, where Pags was not only a bad coach, but a perhaps an even worse developer of talent.

In two regular season appearances against Desir (primarily anyway), DeAndre Hopkins averaged 4.5 catches for 36.5 yards. Hopkin's season average (including these games) was 7.5 catches per game for 98.5 yards. Hopkins is likely one of the top 2-3 receivers in our division.

Desir vs Amari Cooper.... Desir held him to 4 receptions for 32 yards. Cooper averaged 5.8 rec per game for 111 yards (only including his 9 Dallas games).

PFF ranks him #18 out of 90 CBs In the NFL. Sportrac Has the average CB salary at $2.8M, we paid Desir $1.75M.

** Please note: Do we really NEED this discussion to go to "Coaching doesnt matter?"

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pez For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (02-13-2019), sherck (02-14-2019), Spike (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
How lucky were we to watch Desir develop into a decent corner? I was pretty down on him last year for the few games that he played, and I think Omaha was as well.

I don't think he grew at all under the Pagano system, where Pags was not only a bad coach, but a perhaps an even worse developer of talent.

In two regular season appearances against Desir (primarily anyway), DeAndre Hopkins averaged 4.5 catches for 36.5 yards. Hopkin's season average (including these games) was 7.5 catches per game for 98.5 yards. Hopkins is likely one of the top 2-3 receivers in our division.

Desir vs Amari Cooper.... Desir held him to 4 receptions for 32 yards. Cooper averaged 5.8 rec per game for 111 yards (only including his 9 Dallas games).

PFF ranks him #18 out of 90 CBs In the NFL. Sportrac Has the average CB salary at $2.8M, we paid Desir $1.75M.

** Please note: Do we really NEED this discussion to go to "Coaching doesnt matter?"
Unfortunately, just mentioning the "coaching doesn't matter" discussion ensures that it will become the central focus of this thread...
Old 02-13-2019, 05:45 PM
Accidental Administrator

hehe.... doing the preemptive strike.

Sherk and others know a geat deal more about salaries and contracts and such, but if PFF for all it's faults is saying he had the 19th best season among NFL corners, and we are paying him the 71st highest salary among NFL corners. Something is going right.

He's UFA this year, we have to pick him back up and pay him.

**Edit... Cheese and rice, the redskins are paying Josh Norman $15M this year and $35M next.... Thats 5 million dollars a pick this year. We only paid 1.7M for Desir's 1 pick.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."

Last edited by Pez; 02-13-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:07 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post

I could be wrong but I don’t recall ever being down on desir
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Pez (02-14-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 09:08 PM

I think we need to lock desir up. His man ability gives the defense some flexibility with coverages
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
JAFF (02-14-2019), Oldcolt (02-14-2019), Pez (02-14-2019), Racehorse (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 06:25 AM

Thanked 1,182 Times in 520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
I think we need to lock desir up. His man ability gives the defense some flexibility with coverages
As much as it pains me to agree with Omaha, I think Desir was the #2 priority re-sign for the Colts after Glowinski. You cannot ever have too many solid / good CBs on the roster and we only had 3 last year: Moore, Desir and Wilson coming on in the back half of the season.

Desir may be wanting crazy money (i.e. see $5m a pick) but if he is reasonable, sign him AND pick another talented kid in the draft.

Walk Worthy,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2019, 07:40 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
He's proven himself, you dont' sign him what does that say to the locker room when they have money to spend?
Old 02-14-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
He's proven himself, you dont' sign him what does that say to the locker room when they have money to spend?
He wanted too much money? Players get over that stuff. They know the business
Old 02-14-2019, 11:06 AM

Thanked 1,182 Times in 520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
If he is asking $15m a year, then based on his history and physical abilities, he is probably out of our price range. With only one year of starter quality performance, he is probably more of a $9 - $12m a year guy instead of higher than that.

I would love to retain him because you cannot have too many solid / good CBs. But let's not all of a sudden believe he is a top ten CB. He is good, not great and if he is asking a "great" price.....

Walk Worthy,
Old 02-14-2019, 11:35 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

I like Desir but I'm not interested in paying him like a top 5 CB at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (02-14-2019)