ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-05-2019, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I'd prefer Lawrence, Clark, or Ford to Clowney, but if the Texans decide they don't want him and he doesn't want break the bank money, Clowney would be a decent add.
Not sure why. It would not only help us it hurts a division opponent. I do value your opinion on speed rushers though.

Earlier you said you think SS is #2 need. I am torn between SS and 3 tech

Do you have the faith in what we have for 3 Tech over what we have for SS?

I think Lewis might be pretty good.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:49 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Not sure why. It would not only help us it hurts a division opponent. I do value your opinion on speed rushers though.

Autry showed some good flashes late last year, but you're always on the lookout for good 3-techs. Based on the supply, I wouldn't be surprised if Ballard addresses SS in UFA and reinforces DL in the draft. There are several solid safeties hitting UFA and the recent market for safeties has been pretty soft. Ballard may find an Ebron-esque SS addition this offseason.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:17 PM

Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Autry showed some good flashes late last year, but you're always on the lookout for good 3-techs. Based on the supply, I wouldn't be surprised if Ballard addresses SS in UFA and reinforces DL in the draft. There are several solid safeties hitting UFA and the recent market for safeties has been pretty soft. Ballard may find an Ebron-esque SS addition this offseason.
Lewis will also compete at 3-tech next season(provided we find an Edge guy to replace him). A combination of Lewis and Autry is pretty formidable at 3-tech imo.

That's why I feel its imperative to get the Edge guy first, then focus on NT.

I wouldn't mind if 2 of the first 3 picks were invested this way.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Lewis will also compete at 3-tech next season(provided we find an Edge guy to replace him). A combination of Lewis and Autry is pretty formidable at 3-tech imo.

That's why I feel its imperative to get the Edge guy first, then focus on NT.

I wouldn't mind if 2 of the first 3 picks were invested this way.
NT would be 5 or 6 on my list behind

Edge
3 tech
SS
WR
CB

With 3 tech and SS a toss up
Old 02-06-2019, 02:52 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,569 Times in 914 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post

Autry had 9 sacks and was a pro bowl alternate. That would be the Colts starter at UT next year. Hunt could also be retained as a rotational player getting snaps at UT and NT. I think that position is way more set than SS, where there's Farley coming off of IR and Geathers who is a FA and has had quite a few of his own problems with health.

Speaking of 9 sacks, that was the number that Clowney had last year, and he only has 29 for his career and has never broken 10 in a single season. That's why I don't want to break the bank for Clowney. Does it really hurt a division rival to lose an underachiever and save that money to spend on things that will improve their team? Clowney is definitely an untapped potential guy, and I'd definitely take him on an Ebron type prove it deal, but the Texans will pay him more than that. If the Colts are going to go after any Texans free agent, I'd want Tyrann Mathieu.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:01 PM

I look at the DL in terms of needing 8 good players. Obviously you want one or more premier pass rushers, but another route is to get enough solid guys that you can keep coming in waves. On paper, it appears to me that they only have half of what they need by that standard:

Sheard
Autry
Lewis
Turay

Maybe Stewart is a fifth at NT. Regardless, that leaves 3-4 spots that need upgraded. We're probably looking at 1-2 draft picks (first 3 rounds) and 1-2 UFAs.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:13 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Autry had 9 sacks and was a pro bowl alternate. That would be the Colts starter at UT next year. Hunt could also be retained as a rotational player getting snaps at UT and NT. I think that position is way more set than SS, where there's Farley coming off of IR and Geathers who is a FA and has had quite a few of his own problems with health.

Speaking of 9 sacks, that was the number that Clowney had last year, and he only has 29 for his career and has never broken 10 in a single season. That's why I don't want to break the bank for Clowney. Does it really hurt a division rival to lose an underachiever and save that money to spend on things that will improve their team? Clowney is definitely an untapped potential guy, and I'd definitely take him on an Ebron type prove it deal, but the Texans will pay him more than that. If the Colts are going to go after any Texans free agent, I'd want Tyrann Mathieu.
The Texans think their window is now and they will break the bank open to resign as much talent as they can. Clowney is a physical marvel, but he had to learn technique and skill. He is still growing I guess you could say, but he also has a talented defense around him.

The Jags also think their window is now and I don't like the idea that Foles is likely going there. They are dangerous with a good QB. Although they are still weak in the WR dept, but Foles throws a catchable ball and shouldn't be a huge problem.

I think we need a 3 down player at the 3-tech. We can move guys around But Autry is an end and only goes inside on passing downs. We need beef and talent in the middle to build around. Another end would be nice too. The OSU DT is versatile and can play inside and out, match him with Tillery and I think we would have a nice Dline group to grow with.

I don't mind Abrams at safety. I thought he looked good when I watched a few MSU games. Lit a couple people up with hits. But that seems like a luxury pick when we really need more pressure up the middle and from the ends. Unless these guys are going to suddenly go nuts like the pats defense did in the playoffs. Also there are some decent options for safety on the market. It was a bad market for safety last year, but there were some decent guys available.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:16 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
I look at the DL in terms of needing 8 good players. Obviously you want one or more premier pass rushers, but another route is to get enough solid guys that you can keep coming in waves. On paper, it appears to me that they only have half of what they need by that standard:

Sheard
Autry
Lewis
Turay

Maybe Stewart is a fifth at NT. Regardless, that leaves 3-4 spots that need upgraded. We're probably looking at 1-2 draft picks (first 3 rounds) and 1-2 UFAs.
Games are so close now. It isn't the first quarter, it's the 4th quarter that is important. Can your guys hold up till the end? Depth helps alleviate that, so you have a pass rush in the 4th quarter, or they don't wilt under an offensive line that is running to seal the game.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
The Texans think their window is now and they will break the bank open to resign as much talent as they can. Clowney is a physical marvel, but he had to learn technique and skill. He is still growing I guess you could say, but he also has a talented defense around him.

The Jags also think their window is now and I don't like the idea that Foles is likely going there. They are dangerous with a good QB. Although they are still weak in the WR dept, but Foles throws a catchable ball and shouldn't be a huge problem.

I think we need a 3 down player at the 3-tech. We can move guys around But Autry is an end and only goes inside on passing downs. We need beef and talent in the middle to build around. Another end would be nice too. The OSU DT is versatile and can play inside and out, match him with Tillery and I think we would have a nice Dline group to grow with.

I don't mind Abrams at safety. I thought he looked good when I watched a few MSU games. Lit a couple people up with hits. But that seems like a luxury pick when we really need more pressure up the middle and from the ends. Unless these guys are going to suddenly go nuts like the pats defense did in the playoffs. Also there are some decent options for safety on the market. It was a bad market for safety last year, but there were some decent guys available.
Are you saying that Autry "should" be an end who moves inside on passing downs? He always lined up inside in 2018.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:08 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,569 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Are you saying that Autry "should" be an end who moves inside on passing downs? He always lined up inside in 2018.
Yep, Autry consistently lined up as a UT last year, and it worked pretty well, so why change it? I'd love to get a guy like Jeffery Simmons, but he's projected to go 15-20 at this point on the low end. I just don't know if the 12th-14th DL in this class is as good as the #1 S or the #2 or #3 CB, and that may be the choice the Colts are faced with. Trading down might even become their best option, depending on what QBs are available and who gets really desperate for one.