ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-04-2019, 03:27 PM

Thanked 1,182 Times in 520 Posts
Default Colts Current Roster - Defense

Where do we sit right now and where do we need to get better? One man's opinion.

Defensive Tackle:

On Roster: Denico Autry, Tyquan Lewis, Hassan Ridgeway, Grover Stewart, DeShawn Williams

Impending Free Agents: Al Woods, Margus Hunt

Thoughts: I don't think we re-sign either Woods or Hunt; both are on the wrong side of 30 years old on a team still trying to get younger for the long haul. I think Autry, Lewis and Ridgeway are a solid roation but would love to get at least two more high end bodies for this position group; ONE from free agency and ONE from the draft. If Ridgeway ends up being our #5 DT in 2019, I think we are in pretty solid shape.

Defensive End:

On Roster: Jabaal Sheard, Kemoko Turray, Jihad Ward, Al-Quadin Muhammad,

Impending Free Agents: None.

Thoughts: Again, I like the four deep of Sheard, Turray, Ward and Muhammad well enough. They are SCREAMING for a top end starter over the top of them to demand the double team but as a whole, I don't hate how those four played in 2018. I again like the "ONE and ONE" scenario by adding a talented Free Agent DE AND drafting one in the first couple of rounds of the draft to make the position group stronger. A DE position group of: Veteran FA, Rookie, Sheard, Turray and then Ward / Muhammad fighting for spot #5 would put the position group in a good spot.

Linebacker:

On Roster: Darius Leonard, Anthony Wallker Jr, Matthew Adams, Zaire Franklin, Skai Moore, Anthony Winbush

Free Agents: Najee Goode

Thoughts: Not getting any better than Darius Leonard so WSLB is set for years. Walker was "fine" at MLB but there are a couple of veterans who might make it to market this year that I would be willing to sign to surplant him and move him to SSLB / depth. Depth is okay right now with Adams and Franklin so that is solid. I would love to add a top end veteran free agent to the group at MLB but if that guy does not happen, then I am fine running with whom we have as starters in Leonard / Walker / Adams (he was getting a lot more snaps at the end of the year than Franklin) but I would love to push Walker down to SSLB / depth with another high quality body at MLB.

Safety:

On Roster: Malik Hooker, George Odum, Ahmad Thomas, Rolan Milligan

Impending Free Agents: Clayton Geathers, Matthias Farley (RFA), Mike Mitchell, J.J. Wilcox, Ronald Martin (ERFA), Corey Moore (RFA)

Thoughts: That is a whole LOT of impending free agent safeties for the Colts. I like Mike Mitchell but he is probably too old to re-sign. I also like both Geathers and Farley and would love to retain both of them. That would give us a returning three of Hooker, Geathers and Farley which is solid. For upgrade, I again like the "ONE and ONE" method of adding a talented veteran free agent and then adding a rookie from the draft. Let those five guys fight out who are starters and who are depth; I expect us to play a ton of "big 3" safety in this defense so we really end up playing a lot of bodies.

Cornerback:

On Roster:
Kenny Moore, Qunicy Wilson, Nate Hairston, Jalen Collins, D.J. Killings

Impending Free Agents: Pierre Desir, Chris Milton (RFA)

Thoughts: A top three CB of Moore, Desir and Wilson with depth of Milton and Hairston is not terrible. Moore is blooming into a starter and Desir put on a pretty fantastic audition for a good veteran contract. Hopefully, Wilson will continue to improve and become a full time starter in year 3. I would love to add another talented body to the group either in free agency or the draft but I don't know that I think we need any starters if Desir is re-signed. I would be happy in 2019 with Moore, Desir, Wilson and a talented ADD as our top four with Hairston and Milton as depth.

DEFENSE TO-DO LIST:

1. Sign Desir to a 3-year veteran contract as a borderline CB1 probably in the $7 - $9m a year range.

2. Sign Clayton Geathers to a 3-year veteran contract as a borderline starter (injury history impacted) in the depressed safety market can probably match Glowinski's contract of $6m a year.

3. Offer Mattias Farley an RFA tag with 2nd round compensation (around $3.1m)

4. Look for starting quality veteran free agents that fit the culture/age/skill matrix Ballard is looking for at DT (NT or 3-tech), DE, MLB, Safety, and CB. Sign as many as feasible.

5. Depending on work done in step 4, target drafting in the top four rounds of the draft: DT, DE, Safety, CB.

Hope for year two improvements from the players as they get more comfortable with the scheme and hopefully the Colts will have a defense that can hold its end of the bargin up by being top half of league. With a high powered offense, that should be good enough.

If the defense becomes a top ten strength? Even better.

Walk Worthy,
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (02-04-2019), smitty46953 (02-04-2019), Spike (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 04:21 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

I suspect I differ from most on this, but I see SS as a significant need and I would look to upgrade from Geathers. We know Hooker isn't going to attack downhill and close space in either the run game or the short passing game. This scheme really needs that from the other safety position.

A really good SS who negates a lot of yards would be my next area of emphasis after the pass rush.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Puck (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 04:48 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
I suspect I differ from most on this, but I see SS as a significant need and I would look to upgrade from Geathers. We know Hooker isn't going to attack downhill and close space in either the run game or the short passing game. This scheme really needs that from the other safety position.

A really good SS who negates a lot of yards would be my next area of emphasis after the pass rush.
I also want an upgrade to Gethers. I think he could be good if given time, but injuries keep derailing his momentum.

Hooker actually made some downhill attacks against the Chiefs. Is it his strength? No. But he is making progress. He is still the first choice as the single high.

I want the SS from the Giants who we should have drafted. Hope he hits FA.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:

Completely agree
Old 02-04-2019, 07:21 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,569 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:

SS would probably rank as the #2 need on the team for me behind DE/pass rusher. Geathers and Farley are both good when healthy, but health is an issue for both. Johnathan Abram is a guy in the draft who I think could come in and solve that issue, or Landon Collins in free agency should he get there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 08:28 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,123 Times in 637 Posts

I’m all for goin after Collins but listening to Ballard he seemed pretty high on geathers

I’m hoping we draft the monster DT out of Clemson myself
The Following User Says Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
sherck (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 08:39 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,569 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
I’m all for goin after Collins but listening to Ballard he seemed pretty high on geathers

I’m hoping we draft the monster DT out of Clemson myself
Dexter Lawrence doesn't really fit what Eberflus likes to do on defense. Montez Sweat would've been exactly what he wants, but there's no way he gets out of the top 15 now. The Colts will likely be high on and go after guys like Jerry Tillery, L.J. Collier, Kingsley Keke, Charles Omenihu, and Anthony Nelson, and I wouldn't be shocked if one or two of those guys become Colts, especially Omenihu, who has the length Eberflus loves.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:17 AM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
SS would probably rank as the #2 need on the team for me behind DE/pass rusher. Geathers and Farley are both good when healthy, but health is an issue for both. Johnathan Abram is a guy in the draft who I think could come in and solve that issue, or Landon Collins in free agency should he get there.
If they are going to continue with the 2 A gap DT idea I wonder if there is another skill set they will be looking for.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:01 AM

I still think we need another good corner. The current group is OK as long as you can play zone for the most part and limit other teams. I had a post on this earlier in the year, they really did not face many top quality QBs this season, so I would not trust the corners are as good as indicated. When they faced veterans and or good QBs in Eli, Brady, Mahomes, they pretty well got eaten alive.

But sass rush is obvious, that is by far the #1 need. Wherever it comes from, either LB or DE or wherever possible. That will help the corners as well
Old 02-05-2019, 09:12 AM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
If they are going to continue with the 2 A gap DT idea I wonder if there is another skill set they will be looking for.
I suspect this strategy was more compensatory (trying to cover for the limitations of the current DL) than being a central part of the defensive scheme.