ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

View Poll Results: With the third pick...
Barkley 7 14.29%
Chubb 17 34.69%
Nelson 3 6.12%
Trade back 21 42.86%
Other 1 2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2018, 08:37 AM
Accidental Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
Please. No.

Frank Gore, who is a top 5 ALL TIME running back in just about every stat has averaged 3.7, 3.9, 3.7 ypc in his 3 seasons with the Colts. Granted, he is 61 years old but anyone watching could see that his effort on the field was that of someone a decade younger than his actual age. He brought it EVERY game and he could not crack 4.0 ypc behind this line.

I don't know that Barry Sanders would average 4.0 ypc behind this offensive line.

Fix the O-Line FIRST before getting a high-pick RB.

Okay, sure. We sign 2 sure-fire OG starters in free agency better than Good & Haeg and draft OT in the 1st round of the draft, then, yeah, draft RB in the 2nd or 3rd round (but after Pass Rush, please).

But, otherwise? No.

Walk Worthy,

This exactly, overpay as needed.

This high pick makes it easy to justify bad decisions, perhaps somewhat like heroin. We have a top 5 QB and a bottom 5 line. I don't see that there is any priority above the OL.

This team absolutely sucks without Andrew Luck. Lets protect that first. God forbid we somehow manage to create a running game out of the deal.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:25 AM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Please. No.

Frank Gore, who is a top 5 ALL TIME running back in just about every stat has averaged 3.7, 3.9, 3.7 ypc in his 3 seasons with the Colts. Granted, he is 61 years old but anyone watching could see that his effort on the field was that of someone a decade younger than his actual age. He brought it EVERY game and he could not crack 4.0 ypc behind this line.

I don't know that Barry Sanders would average 4.0 ypc behind this offensive line.

Okay, sure. We sign 2 sure-fire OG starters in free agency better than Good & Haeg and draft OT in the 1st round of the draft, then, yeah, draft RB in the 2nd or 3rd round (but after Pass Rush, please).

But, otherwise? No.

Walk Worthy,
Barry Sanders would've averaged over 5 ypc behind this O-Line. As far as run blocking goes, I would say the O-Line was middling to average. Now, if you wanna talk about the pass blocking, then that's a different conversation.

If we really wanna face the facts, Gore just doesn't have the speed anymore to not only hit some of the holes, but to break the big runs. If there is a cutback lane to the outside, you can see that he can't take full advantage of it.

Also, I'm not sold on Mack as Gore's replacement either. We've got to get another dynamic dual threat RB.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Mr. Session (01-10-2018), Racehorse (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 11:31 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Barry Sanders would've averaged over 5 ypc behind this O-Line. As far as run blocking goes, I would say the O-Line was middling to average. Now, if you wanna talk about the pass blocking, then that's a different conversation.

If we really wanna face the facts, Gore just doesn't have the speed anymore to not only hit some of the holes, but to break the big runs. If there is a cutback lane to the outside, you can see that he can't take full advantage of it.

Also, I'm not sold on Mack as Gore's replacement either. We've got to get another dynamic dual threat RB.
I am not disagreeing with this in the least. I want Andrew Luck to have his Edge.....

But, I want the order to be O-Line first, RB second. Taking a RB with one of our top three choices in the 2018 draft reverses that order.

That is all I am trying to say. Fix the O-Line; find an Edge. That is the order Ballard should take.

Walk Worthy,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-10-2018), YDFL Commish (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 01:01 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
I am not disagreeing with this in the least. I want Andrew Luck to have his Edge.....

But, I want the order to be O-Line first, RB second. Taking a RB with one of our top three choices in the 2018 draft reverses that order.

That is all I am trying to say. Fix the O-Line; find an Edge. That is the order Ballard should take.

Walk Worthy,
I’d love it if they signed two solid OL in UFA, drafted one in the top 2 rounds, and hit on a 3rd round RB like KC and NO did.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:33 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Please. No.

But, otherwise? No.

Walk Worthy,
Sherck. Don't explain things to me like I don't know about the OL problems. Of course the OL is top priority. But we are not fixing the OL with a second or third round pick. We're fixing it with FA, a new scheme on offense, better coaching, and maybe a high first round pick. Most OL don't develop enough in college anymore.

Frank Gore is a very good back for his age. I'm happy to bring him back for another year to transition to our new lead back. But he's old and will slow down or get hurt. Happens to everyone.

I'm not convinced Mack is the guy at all. I don't think he can carry the ball 20 times a game and I don't think there's evidence to expect him to. We do need a Gore replacement. Whether he re-signs or not.

I don't really want Barkley. I don't believe in high first round RBs. You don't need one to succeed, at all. But even if you just look at the numbers, the large majority of top RBs are drafted in the first three rounds. If a guy like Michel is available in the third and we got some good prospects in the first couple of rounds I'm in favor of drafting him. A dynamic back like him coupled with a better OL will only help Luck and our new OC better implement the new offense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (01-10-2018), YDFL Commish (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 05:11 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

I would prefer a bad ass defensive player, but if ballard actually takes barkley, I wont kill him for it.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:48 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,124 Times in 638 Posts

Last year 3 RB's went 1st round

All 3 teams made the playoffs

A dynamic back like Barkley can make a hell of a difference
Old 01-10-2018, 07:04 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I am in the fix the line at all costs line. Open the vault and bring in two guards. Spend the high pick on a tackle. I love Barkley but this draft is thick with running backs. You'll get a damn good one in the second or third round. I think we have a much better chance of winning the super bowl with a great offensive line than with a transcendent running back
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Pez (01-11-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 07:12 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I am in the fix the line at all costs line. Open the vault and bring in two guards. Spend the high pick on a tackle. I love Barkley but this draft is thick with running backs. You'll get a damn good one in the second or third round. I think we have a much better chance of winning the super bowl with a great offensive line than with a transcendent running back
there seems to be a lot of either-or in these posts. drafting barkley doesnt precludes you from building an o-line. Most here say get some FA guards and draft some guys. The only o-lineman worth drafting that high (that I have read about) is nelson and most dont want to draft a guard at #3.

so the question comes down to do you want barkley or a defender with our first pick?
Old 01-10-2018, 07:26 PM

We need some explosion at that position (RB). Someone who can convert the short yardage gains that Gore can give us, but also take advantage of openings like Mack can; Without having to sacrifice one to get the other.

I like where FatDT's head is at. If we can find that value later, we should wait. I also think Barkley could make our offensive line look a lot better. I'm interested to see how things shake out during the combine and offseason. It seems like kid's stock always changes. Who really knows how these kids will be valued through the spring?

I voted trade down, but if the trades aren't there and Chubb is no longer considered as strong as a pick as he is now, go with Barkley. It's going to take a couple of years, lets get better in the OL next year when our record doesn't allow us to pick a true impact player like we can this year (assuming Chubb's stock suffers).

If Chubb is still the man when the draft rolls around I will completely understand the heat for passing on him for Barkley. We really do need someone who can get in the opposition's cheeks and Chubb plays with a nice edge.