ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 01-30-2019, 10:15 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts
Default Leonard, Luck and Manning Bits

The NFL put out a top ten plays by Leonard

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-2018-e...ys-2018-season

I saw this thread over at Colts.com and the guy had a couple good stories about Luck and Manning.

https://forums.colts.com/topic/61196...ng-story-good/

Quote:
Manning Story
So, I thought I had heard/read all the good/great Peyton stories up until today, when I heard one for the first time on Sirius XM radio on their NFL Channel.

The host was Bob Papa and his guests were Charlies Weis and Gil Brandt. And they were telling their all-time favorite stories from the Combine.

And Weis offered up this...

That before he was the OC for New England, he was the OC for the NY Jets. Three years, 97-99. And in '98, one of the players they interviewed at the combine was one Peyton Manning. And so Peyton comes to their suite and proceeds to tell Weiss and all the other coaches and execs in their room all about the players AND coaches on the Jets. Weis said Peyton knew every player on their team (I assume he meant every OFFENSIVE player and every Offensive coach He said Peyton was able to talk extensively about every player and coach, not just name names. Strengths, weaknesses, the works.

Weis said he and their staff were dazzled. That no one had ever done this before and Weis said he hasn't heard about anyone else doing it since. He added they all thought Manning had to be prepared to do this for all the other teams he was going to meet with as well. Impressive.

The interesting thing to me is this... that I've heard Polian talk about the process of selecting Manning and I've never heard him say Peyton did the same thing with the Colts players and coaches. And I've never heard Bobby Beathard, who was the GM with San Diego say that Peyton did that for his franchise either.

Quote:
Luck Story
So, as you may remember, even once Luck was drafted, he couldn't spend very much time in Indy for the first six weeks or so. Andrew was still in school taking classes, and he very much wanted to attend graduation with his friends and teammates. So, he'd be in school M-Thu and then fly to Indy where he'd spend Fri-Sun at rookie mini camps every other week or so.

And the coaches had been spoon feeding Luck the playbook. A little bit at a time not wanting to overwhelmn the rookie. A little here, a little there. And Luck was doing great. So, after one 3-day practice, Luck is presented with a LARGE chunk of the playbook. About 2/3rds... all of it situational football. 2 minute offense, 4 minute offense, Red Zone, Goal Line... you name it.

A significant chunk. Luck takes it. A staffer drives him to the Indy airport. After he leaves, the coaches look at each other and smile... one says...

"We won't hear from him for weeks!"

Luck had impressed all of them with his intelligence, but now they basically threw the kitchen sink at him. Weeks, they thought.

He's driven to the airport, takes the roughly 4-hour flight to San Francisco and then is driven to the Stanford campus roughly 35-45 minutes away. Upon arrival he sends the coaching staff a 4-word text.........

"Got it. What's next?"

How long could that have been? 7-8 hours? Maybe? Less? And he felt good enough to alert the coaches he knew all about the 2/3rds of the playbook he'd been given. That's the moment when the coaches knew Luck was not like anyone else they'd ever been around. That's what a photographic memory will do for you. He looks at a page and just has it.

This story was shared by a Colts coach. I'm sorry I don't remember who. Pags? Arians? Someone else? I only wish I remembered.

This is why when fans here have worried over the Colts hiring a new coordinator and what it might do to Andrew, I've always shared not to worry. That with Luck, learning the new playbook is the LEAST of their worries. Remember, because he was rehabbing for more than half of 2018, Luck didn't even really get to practice very much until August. And even then, it was somewhat limited. But once the season started, Luck certainly looked like a QB who knew his new playbook.

"Got it. What's next?" is always going to be my favorite Andrew Luck story. Because it perfectly demonstrates how for Luck and yes, Peyton Manning, the best part of their game is what you CAN'T actually see. It's how their minds work. Not like anyone else.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (01-30-2019), DrSpaceman (02-01-2019), Indiana V2 (01-31-2019), indycolts2 (02-01-2019), Racehorse (01-31-2019), rcubed (01-31-2019), sherck (01-30-2019), smitty46953 (01-31-2019), VeveJones007 (01-31-2019), YDFL Commish (02-02-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 10:05 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Regarding Manning and the Jets, I wouldn't assume that Peyton knew all those details about every other organization. He would have done his research on the Jets because they had the 1st pick the previous year when Peyton was undecided about whether to declare for the draft of play his senior year at Tennessee. I'm sure he did his research then and it factored into his decision to stay in school.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (01-31-2019), Puck (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 01:44 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,672 Posts

Leonard will be on the Herd today.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:51 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

It's always seemed odd to me that Luck is obviously this super smart QB, and until this year, no coach had really thought to give him much freedom to operate at the line. That's not just on Pagano either.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:57 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Regarding Manning and the Jets, I wouldn't assume that Peyton knew all those details about every other organization. He would have done his research on the Jets because they had the 1st pick the previous year when Peyton was undecided about whether to declare for the draft of play his senior year at Tennessee. I'm sure he did his research then and it factored into his decision to stay in school.
Exactly, that’s what I was thinking too. They had the first pick when he decided to go back for his senior year. Imagine how different things would be if he came out. Peyton and Brady in the same division. Weis as coordinator. The AFC east would be a terror for ten plus years.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:01 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
It's always seemed odd to me that Luck is obviously this super smart QB, and until this year, no coach had really thought to give him much freedom to operate at the line. That's not just on Pagano either.
Coaches are a weird bunch. And not always as smart as you would think given their status and pay. A lot of control freaks and meat heads in there. There is a reason Belichick runs circles around a lot of the league.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Leonard will be on the Herd today.
Just turned it on did I miss Leonard?
Old 01-31-2019, 02:43 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
Just turned it on did I miss Leonard?
Np, he hasn't been on yet.
smitty46953 (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 05:49 PM

Well, P did start in the AFC East.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Exactly, that’s what I was thinking too. They had the first pick when he decided to go back for his senior year. Imagine how different things would be if he came out. Peyton and Brady in the same division. Weis as coordinator. The AFC east would be a terror for ten plus years.
Yup and what are the chances that the Colts pick Ryan Leaf the following year if Peyton did not go back for his senior year? That is one scary proposition and we are all thankful that was never the sole option.