ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 12-03-2019, 11:15 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I don’t like the “do what you need to to get the best you can” thinking. I’m guessing you don’t mean it quite the way it comes off. Trading significant draft capital for a marginal improvement over JB isn’t in the teams best interest. They need a franchise QB, not a slightly better QB. If Ballard believes a guy is a franchise guy then yeah do what it takes. But chasing the best they can get in the draft at QB is a recipe for disaster.
Why would you trade considerable assets to get a marginally better QB? I don’t mean make a bad deal to get a qb. Get a franchise QB, if you have to trade assets this year do it. It’s the single thing that is really holding this team back. If you don’t think there is one then that is a different matter. There are a lot of QBs in the next draft, someone will turn out. Up to them to identify who that is. This team has a good starting core and an absolute shit ton of money. They should be able to address the QB position.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Why would you trade considerable assets to get a marginally better QB? I don’t mean make a bad deal to get a qb. Get a franchise QB, if you have to trade assets this year do it. It’s the single thing that is really holding this team back. If you don’t think there is one then that is a different matter. There are a lot of QBs in the next draft, someone will turn out. Up to them to identify who that is. This team has a good starting core and an absolute shit ton of money. They should be able to address the QB position.
I think we mostly agree. If there is a guy you believe is a franchise guy then yes get him. I just don’t agree that they should definitely take the highest rated QB they can get or that it’s a given they “should be able to address the QB position” this draft. You say someone will turn out and I agree. And a couple will end up no better than JB, possibly even worse. If they believe one or two guys are franchise QBs and they can get one then great. If they believe three or four guys are franchise guys then they probably need to re-evaluate their idea of a franchise QB. My point is it is by no means a given they can get their top guy or even 2nd choice. Once you get to your 3rd choice is it really because the guy is great? Or is it because you need him to be great? Teams make that bad calculation all the time. They need a franchise QB, but they can’t force one to be available.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:25 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Draft a QB every year until you hit on one at this point. Doesn't have to be a top pick, just keep using at least one pick on a QB until one develops into our franchise QB.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maniac For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (12-03-2019), Racehorse (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 01:33 PM
Post whore

Quote:
I think we mostly agree. If there is a guy you believe is a franchise guy then yes get him. I just don’t agree that they should definitely take the highest rated QB they can get or that it’s a given they “should be able to address the QB position” this draft. You say someone will turn out and I agree. And a couple will end up no better than JB, possibly even worse. If they believe one or two guys are franchise QBs and they can get one then great. If they believe three or four guys are franchise guys then they probably need to re-evaluate their idea of a franchise QB. My point is it is by no means a given they can get their top guy or even 2nd choice. Once you get to your 3rd choice is it really because the guy is great? Or is it because you need him to be great? Teams make that bad calculation all the time. They need a franchise QB, but they can’t force one to be available.
Well they have to believe that the guy can be a franchise QB, or is capable to reaching that status. I could have probably phrased that first post a little better. I agree you can't force it. QB is a bit of a crapshoot, and unfortunately, you have to keep pulling the trigger till you get one. The Broncos are kinda going through the same thing but they don't fully commit. We have gotten lucky the past 20 years but we are now in average QB hell. There is no Luck in this draft, but maybe there is a guy that will become one. I think with this line a QB could do well, just need someone with good vision and accuracy, able to get through their progressions fast. I've liked Burrow every time I've seen him, but I think he has played himself into the number one pick now.

I'm not in favor of a new guy just because he is new. However, if they think a guy is a franchise QB you have to go get him and don't get cute with it. Everyone ripped Gettleman for Daniel Jones, they could have gotten him with their second 1st round pick, too high, blah blah. I think he did the right thing, he didn't fuck around with it and just took him. Maybe some other team liked him, maybe not, but you have to go get your guy if he is your guy. I say this because the fans are already slotting these QBs and if we take one higher than they think he should go they will bitch about it. But that is the nature of taking a QB, they often go higher than they should because the need is so high. Ballard likes his value chart but QB's are a special situation. I just hope Ballard realizes that also because he does like his picks.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:34 PM

Agree on QBs value being higher and sort of throwing out your chart - as long as he’s your guy and not just a guy. You mentioned the fans bitching because they think a QB is taken too higher and I agree with that as well. Part of my comments come from a similar place. If Ballard doesn’t address QB early plenty of fans are going to bitch. I just think that MAY be a valid decision if it’s based on the evaluation of the QBs available and not based on faith in JB being the solution going forward.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:25 PM

It could be possible to acquire an aging but still productive QB in a trade with either the Lions (Stafford) or the Bengals (Dalton). It's an extremely short term fix, but you could draft a young, talented but raw QB in the draft, and give him time to come around while you have one of these two for a year or two. They both have large contracts which will end in another year, and their current teams may be ready to move on. If so, you can get them in a trade for not much, maybe a 5th or 6th rounder. Colts can afford the cap hit, especially since it's so short term. I remember when the Colts got Harbaugh and he clicked for a short time.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:32 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Agree on QBs value being higher and sort of throwing out your chart - as long as he’s your guy and not just a guy. You mentioned the fans bitching because they think a QB is taken too higher and I agree with that as well. Part of my comments come from a similar place. If Ballard doesn’t address QB early plenty of fans are going to bitch. I just think that MAY be a valid decision if it’s based on the evaluation of the QBs available and not based on faith in JB being the solution going forward.
Initially it seems Burrow, Tua, and Herbert will be first-rounders. But a lot can change till April. There are some intriguing guys this draft Love, Mond, Eason, Fromm, the Wake forest kid. So it will be interesting how it pans out. And maybe they think a 2nd round QB is the way to go. It's not impossible to find one there, just you odds go down drastically for success once out of the first.

But yeah, fans read some draft guide and it says so-and-so should be drafted in the 45-60 ranges, then a team takes him at 20 and the fans freak out. Ultimately, if that is the guy and he pans out, doesn't matter if you took him higher than some people think he should have gotten.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 03:49 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
It could be possible to acquire an aging but still productive QB in a trade with either the Lions (Stafford) or the Bengals (Dalton). It's an extremely short term fix, but you could draft a young, talented but raw QB in the draft, and give him time to come around while you have one of these two for a year or two. They both have large contracts which will end in another year, and their current teams may be ready to move on. If so, you can get them in a trade for not much, maybe a 5th or 6th rounder. Colts can afford the cap hit, especially since it's so short term. I remember when the Colts got Harbaugh and he clicked for a short time.
Stafford would be a good fit for us. Dalton? Meh.

As to teams looking to acquire a QB in this draft, who do we see in that field?

My quick takes are: Tampa, Cheats, Carolina?, Chicago, Raiders?

Last edited by Racehorse; 12-03-2019 at 03:51 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racehorse For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (12-03-2019), Spike (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Stafford would be a good fit for us. Dalton? Meh.

Bengals, and Dolphins
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (12-03-2019), Racehorse (12-04-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 04:46 PM

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
Bengals, and Dolphins

I would throw the Chargers in the mix as well.

Rivers is in the final year of his contract.

There have been rumblings that the Chargers are ready to move on. The team has scouted the top QB's in the draft the last several years and haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Rivers has also discussed the possibility of retiring or playing for other teams next year. More recently, he has stated he would prefer to stay with the Chargers but previously he had named a few teams that were on his radar.

Last edited by AlwaysSunnyinIndy; 12-03-2019 at 04:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (12-03-2019)