ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-26-2019, 06:29 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts
Default Realistic Expectations for the Season?

I really liked the thread about the honest expectations for JB. So much so I decided that with the dust settled a bit and a lot of people sort of seeming to see who is in charge now and not feeling so shitty, what is the sentiment on a realistic expectation for the season?

We see some killer QB's this year. I think the Jags are serious with Foles at the helm and that D looks nasty.

I also think we have a very below the radar defense that is going to scare some folks with the speed and physicality they display. I think Tuary is going to be the emerging star of this unit this year and I think Hooker with all this in front of him finally comes of age as a center fielding ball hawk.

The offense to me at least, is maybe approaching an all around skill level that is nearing the Marvin, Reggie, Stokely, Clark level. TY is sick and might not move the chains like either Marvin or Reg, but he also trashes D like crazy, Ebron et al including Funchess create huge match up problems---- there is certainly no Reggie yet, but I am really thinking Cain is going to shine and then there's the potential that a combo of Hines and Campbell just blow things wide open and set this Offense appart. Obviously no Edge in there- but I do think Mack is a notch better than Addai and he and Dom got us a title. Oline, man we had some great ones back in the day but the 5 that were together for the final push last year, those dudes mauled people, mauled better than I ever recall any of the Manning lines moving people off the ball...

Overall, I like what we have and I really think we may have the games most skilled game manager wearing the headset in Reich. He is daring but not reckless and he plays to the strengths of his personnel.

I am going to put us back at 10-6 and in the playoffs. I again think we win the first game but have to go on the road in the 2nd round. There to me, it all depends on how far Brisset has come, if he's the leader they say he is, I can see this team getting to the Conference game but that's it for this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 06:40 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

A lot of good, reasonable points in there. I think 10 wins is definitely possible (maybe ~20% likely if I had to guess), but I do have three significant concerns that make me think 6-7 wins is the most likely outcome.

1) I’m not convinced Brissett is a top 20 QB and it’s really hard for those teams to be above .500. Just look at how Denver has done with a great defense and no QB since Peyton retired. Or even a team like Buffalo.
2) I think this OL is a bit overrated. They’re leaps and bounds better than 2017, but I think Luck masked some protection issues last year which Brissett won’t be able to replicate. If they could consistently win in the running game, I’d feel much better.
3) Pass rush. I’m more encouraged than I’ve been in any post-Mathis season, but if they can’t get consistent pressure in 2019, it will hurt them. They left a few games on the table in 2017 because of the lack of pressure. Hopefully they step up.

Last edited by VeveJones007; 08-26-2019 at 06:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
A lot of good, reasonable points in there. I think 10 wins is definitely possible (maybe ~20% likely if I had to guess), but I do have three significant concerns that make me think 6-7 wins is the most likely outcome.

1) I’m not convinced Brissett is a top 20 QB and it’s really hard for those teams to be above .500. Just look at how Denver has done with a great defense and no QB since Peyton retired. Or even a team like Buffalo.
2) I think this OL is a bit overrated. They’re leaps and bounds better than 2017, but I think Luck masked some protection issues last year which Brissett won’t be able to replicate. If they could consistently win in the running game, I’d feel much better.
3) Pass rush. I’m more encouraged than I’ve been in any post-Mathis season, but if they can’t get consistent pressure in 2019, it will hurt them. They left a few games on the table in 2017 because of the lack of pressure. Hopefully they step up.
Good points in there as well.

I am not sold Brisset is a top 20 QB either, but I also think he might not have to be with this team, and most important to me, this coaching staff.

Some of those other teams you mention, I watch them and literally just sit there and wonder what the effin' game plan is? I often equate it to the Jim Caldwell days- what exactly are you trying to accomplish, because to me, it looks like you just have this script of plays you are going to call no matter what and if they don't work, screw it, punt and let's see if we can beat them with D.

Outside of the KC playoff game last year (no idea what the hell that was, no friggin' idea - the cleats, the snow showers, F if I know but I'lll give them the mulligan...), but outside of that game I felt all last year that this team had a plan, that they went after things with a specific intent. That said, I also came away watching them and feeling a little like and I'm fucking hating typing this- feeling like I was watching the Pats. For seemingly centuries they have ruled the NFL by playing ball within 5-7 yards of the line of scrimmage, just rubbing people all over the field- chewing up clock and demoralizing defenses. I saw us doing that same thing, and it was kind of fun!

Similarly on D, it did not feel like we just took the damn "this is our scheme, we won't alter it for nothing (even Dungy was guilty of this) so I hope you didn't game plan for us"... it seemed like we actually went into games with unique plans in place- it was very refreshing.

So while I do understand the feeling that the QB play may be so inferior as to derail a run, I think we have a staff that is not going to pull a Pags and Pep (hey remember that turd) and just "do what we do" and see what happens. I think they will game plan around Jacoby's strength's, try to mask his weaknesses, and ultimately look to win a lot of close games with good scheme and good leaders.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 07:03 PM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

At best 9-7

Probably 7-9
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Big Smooth (09-05-2019), dwilli57 (09-06-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 07:08 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Put the beat down on the Titans and maybe Marcus Mariotta will be available?

Old 08-26-2019, 07:18 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Please just beat the Titans. I will never hear the end of it from my redneck Titans fan buddy if they don't. He has already been talking shit about Luck retiring.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:21 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
Please just beat the Titans. I will never hear the end of it from my redneck Titans fan buddy if they don't. He has already been talking shit about Luck retiring.
Ask them about that QB they got from the U of Texas
Old 08-26-2019, 07:56 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Ballard wanted to build a team of high character men. What this team does this season will be a huge test of that. As for expectations, I don't really expect us to be playing meaningful football in December this year.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Put the beat down on the Titans and maybe Marcus Mariotta will be available?

Did you see his lowlights the other night- this cat may be done for already, he looked horrible.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:30 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

10-6 still take the afc south this team always performs better as underdogs