ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: Who is your currently preferred QB prospect?
Stroud 14 45.16%
Young 2 6.45%
Levis 4 12.90%
Richardson 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2023, 03:49 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Interesting so far. For being the consensus #1 in the mainstream, this board has been consistently cautious about Young.

Lov2fish has been on the Levis train, but it looks like everyone else has bailed. A month or two ago, he seemed about as popular as Richardson currently is.

I can't decide where the leverage is with this whole situation. There are so many variables it'll make you dizzy. The market is the market, so it's going to be expensive.

The question I have is how by the balls does CHI still have IND if, hypothetically, HOU wins the bidding war for #1? Colts still need a QB and SEA is right behind them. Is SEA willing to start a separate bidding war for #2? They do have multiple 1st's and 2nd's this year if they wanted to.

Couldn't CHI realistically trade #1 to HOU for a big haul and then trade #2 to either IND or SEA for another lesser, but still big, haul and STILL end up with one of the two best players in the draft (Carter/Anderson)?
IMO the answer is the leverage is about even. I think this Carter thing blows over and he will still be a top 4 pick. That means 4 is way more valuable than 5. Like I said, if it must be done, a Manning/Rivers type trade is acceptable, but not much, if any, more than that. Obviously, though, I'd prefer players be used in lieu of draft capital, especially because Chicago is the most ideally set up team to take players from the Colts given their HC's familiarity with Colts players and their GM's familiarity with the Colts front office.
Old 03-09-2023, 04:33 PM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
IMO the answer is the leverage is about even. I think this Carter thing blows over and he will still be a top 4 pick. That means 4 is way more valuable than 5. Like I said, if it must be done, a Manning/Rivers type trade is acceptable, but not much, if any, more than that. Obviously, though, I'd prefer players be used in lieu of draft capital, especially because Chicago is the most ideally set up team to take players from the Colts given their HC's familiarity with Colts players and their GM's familiarity with the Colts front office.
I agree about Carter. But IND is still taking a QB at #4 even if they don't work out a trade, don't you think? Which opens up SEA as another possibility for CHI to trade with and still get Carter/Anderson.

And ultimately all I'm saying with all of that is... An expensive trade up looks like it could get even more expensive when you consider those downstream factors.
Old 03-09-2023, 04:48 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
I agree about Carter. But IND is still taking a QB at #4 even if they don't work out a trade, don't you think? Which opens up SEA as another possibility for CHI to trade with and still get Carter/Anderson.

And ultimately all I'm saying with all of that is... An expensive trade up looks like it could get even more expensive when you consider those downstream factors.
If Will Levis and/or Anthony Richardson is all that's left, I'd take Jalen Carter and wait for next year. But in all seriousness I think Ballard trades up to 1 and ends all this speculation.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

I have no idea why anyone wants us to trade. We are going to struggle with a new QB next year and have a very very high draft pick once again. Possibly a number 1 or 2 pick bad.

That is not worth giving away for any of these guys

So stay at 4 take Richardson or wait till 35 and take Hooker. Still on the Hooker bandwagon. Start Sam until Hooker is completely ready then throw him in there
Brylok (03-10-2023), JAFF (03-10-2023), Mr. Session (03-10-2023), nate505 (03-11-2023), Oldcolt (03-10-2023), omahacolt (03-11-2023), Racehorse (03-11-2023), YDFL Commish (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 11:18 AM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
I have no idea why anyone wants us to trade. We are going to struggle with a new QB next year and have a very very high draft pick once again. Possibly a number 1 or 2 pick bad.

So stay at 4 take Richardson or wait till 35 and take Hooker. Still on the Hooker bandwagon. Start Sam until Hooker is completely ready then throw him in there
Fuck you, we’re winning the south next year!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
Puck (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 11:38 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:

Stop making sense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Mr. Session (03-10-2023), Puck (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 11:44 AM

I'm still with Puck and I still say hold tight and if the guy isn't there, pick one of these defensive guys and just dig in.

I get the sense of urgency to get it right is pretty high this year, and that perspective might not work for Ballard & Irsay.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Session For This Useful Post:
Puck (03-10-2023), Racehorse (03-11-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 12:32 PM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:

I've never been big on trading up, and that would include this year. Just talking about what the situation may dictate. It's not Ballard's style, but just like free agency, you have to deal with other teams' disagreeable moves if you want a guy.

If the Colts and/or other teams see a significant drop off in quality or too big a risk after their first choice (or even second choice), then they're forced into the bidding game. CHI is definitely in the enviable position for this year's draft.

I like Stroud out of this group enough that I don't consider it a toss-up and we should just take whoever is left. That said... I don't have the conviction Dam has. I hope he's right and we land him, but I've never been real big on this class. Just seems like we'll have to pay to get him.
Old 03-10-2023, 02:54 PM
Post whore

Imagine needing a QB in 2005 when you could've had Aaron Rodgers and instead saying, "Wait for Matt Leinart to come out next year."

I'd really rather the Colts not make a similar mistake.
Old 03-10-2023, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Imagine needing a QB in 2005 when you could've had Aaron Rodgers and instead saying, "Wait for Matt Leinart to come out next year."

I'd really rather the Colts not make a similar mistake.
Imagine needing a QB in the 2017 draft and trading up for Mitch Trubisky

Ah this is fun. Keep them coming
Chromeburn (03-13-2023)