ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-14-2023, 07:42 PM

Thanked 1,324 Times in 748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Even if you agree with Dam, if you don't do it in the way he would prefer, you are wrong.
I wonder if he's watched any film of some of us agreeing with posts
Old 03-14-2023, 08:25 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
So what exactly do you want anyone on here to do about it other than just agree with you to feed your ego? Ballard, who you've stated is a very good GM in your opinion, obviously either doesn't think Stroud is worth the cost to trade up or he thinks Stroud will still be there at #4 (or possibly 3 with a trade up to AZ).

And FWIW I do agree with you that Stroud is the top QB in the draft. I'm just not going to lose any sleep over this like I did when Ballard decided to hand the starting LT job to Matt Pryor.
Obviously no one here can do anything about it, I'm just surprised that no one here seems to want to see the Colts make the moves to get the players they need. The Colts need a franchise QB. That is not a position where a team can afford to let the market play out and get their third or fourth choice. That is a situation that calls for aggressive action. There are two options available to fill the position: free agency or the draft. In free agency, the only option is to pay a lot of money for Lamar Jackson. That should not be Plan A, but it should be a plan that is looked at before taking the third or fourth best rookie QB. It does involve losing significant draft capital, but that draft capital can be recovered in part or in full by trading down in this year’s draft and getting future assets of other teams. In the draft, the options are to trade up and get the top guy, which is possible because Carolina has said they're willing to trade down, or let the market dictate to you who your guy will be at the most important position in professional sports, likely your third or fourth choice. I don't think anyone in Kansas City cares that Buffalo got two Pro Bowlers out of the deal when they traded up for Patrick Mahomes, who, by the way, was not considered a generational talent franchise QB at the time. But the Chiefs didn't let the market come to them, they identified their guy and went and got him. That's what the Colts need to do if they're going to go the draft route.

I do consider Ballard to be a good GM, he can definitely identify talent and compile it on the roster. He's very risk averse, however, at times to the detriment of putting together the best roster possible. This is not a situation in which risk can be avoided. If they don't take the risk of paying the price to get their guy, they'll be stuck with a high risk QB who might not even be their third choice. There will be risk no matter what approach is taken, my preference would be to minimize bust risk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
ZionsvilleColtsFan (03-19-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 09:50 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Yea I’d rather have Lamar than Richardson or Levis

Lamar is proven… you know what you’re getting and he’s the same age and experience as the rest of the team

Levis or Richardson are projects that we hope will work out

Lamar is more of a sure bet and makes this team AFC south contender instantly