ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-23-2024, 01:10 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
Yeah, I’m off the Sneed bandwagon. He was the most penalized cornerback in the league in 2023. He’s also 27 and coming off a serious knee injury. He’s never made a pro bowl or an all pro.

He’s a much more expensive Rock Ya-Sin.

I’ll pass on that much money for that player.

Also, what in the hell are the Titans doing? If Levis is really good their moves may make sense but nobody knows how good he is yet.

Seems like they’re putting an awful lot of eggs in that basket.
I characterize it as- playing as if every year offers a chance. Injuries to opponents, lack of chemistry, etc... this is the NFL, you just never know- and the Colts of 23-24 are a prime example with the loss of AR but right there until the very final play of their season with a career backup.

To me, that's the difference betwen a good GM and a bum, not planning 27 fucking years downstream, instead putting all the eggs in a basket looking to win each year. Ballard's still strategizing for 2027 being "the year" --- his strategy fucking doesn't work, the proof is in the results. 1 PO win in 8 years, no division titles.... he fucking sucks.
Old 03-23-2024, 02:00 PM

Thanked 1,123 Times in 625 Posts

We could have had Sneed but dipshit Ballard drafted the legendary QB Jacob Eason instead.
Old 03-23-2024, 02:34 PM

So the following 2023 Titans have already signed with other teams:
RB - Derrick Henry - we all know how good he is
DT - Denico Autry - 11.5 sacks last year
LB - Azeez Al-Shaair - starting LB with 141 tackles
CB - Sean Murphy-Bunting - started 10 games last year
C - Aaron Brewer Started every game last 2 years.
T - Andre Dillard - Started 10 games last year.
WR - Chris Moore - 5 game starter with over 400 yards receiving.
CB - Kristian Fulton - Started all games played over past 3 years (35)

They then have the following guys who are free agents:
QB - Ryan Tannehill - again we know all about him.
S - Terrell Edmunds - Their 3 safety.
T - Chris Hubbard - started all 9 games until injury last year.
TE - Trevon Wesco - started 10 games as the No. 2 TE.
DL - Kyle Peko - started 10 games
DL - Marlon Davidson - started 3 games.

They have signed:
RB - Tony Pollard - a rotational back, nowhere near the level of Henry
WR - Calvin Ridley - will help the offense
C - Lloyd Cushenberry - big money signee from Broncos, who has started every game he has played in.
LB - Kenneth Murray - Chargers declined his 5th year option, a decent player, but nothing special.
QB - Mason Rudolph - who cares?
OL - Saahdiq Charles - Considered a bust in Washington.
NT - Sebastian Joseph - cut by the Chargers towards end of last year.
CB - Chidobe Awuzie - A decent player, but lost his starting role to a rookie last year.
CB - L'Jarius Sneed - a very good CB

Do we really think that the Titans are better after free agency????
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukcolt For This Useful Post:
Hoopsdoc (03-24-2024), Racehorse (03-23-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 02:41 PM

Thanked 1,123 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcolt View Post
So the following 2023 Titans have already signed with other teams:
RB - Derrick Henry - we all know how good he is
DT - Denico Autry - 11.5 sacks last year
LB - Azeez Al-Shaair - starting LB with 141 tackles
CB - Sean Murphy-Bunting - started 10 games last year
C - Aaron Brewer Started every game last 2 years.
T - Andre Dillard - Started 10 games last year.
WR - Chris Moore - 5 game starter with over 400 yards receiving.
CB - Kristian Fulton - Started all games played over past 3 years (35)

They then have the following guys who are free agents:
QB - Ryan Tannehill - again we know all about him.
S - Terrell Edmunds - Their 3 safety.
T - Chris Hubbard - started all 9 games until injury last year.
TE - Trevon Wesco - started 10 games as the No. 2 TE.
DL - Kyle Peko - started 10 games
DL - Marlon Davidson - started 3 games.

They have signed:
RB - Tony Pollard - a rotational back, nowhere near the level of Henry
WR - Calvin Ridley - will help the offense
C - Lloyd Cushenberry - big money signee from Broncos, who has started every game he has played in.
LB - Kenneth Murray - Chargers declined his 5th year option, a decent player, but nothing special.
QB - Mason Rudolph - who cares?
OL - Saahdiq Charles - Considered a bust in Washington.
NT - Sebastian Joseph - cut by the Chargers towards end of last year.
CB - Chidobe Awuzie - A decent player, but lost his starting role to a rookie last year.
CB - L'Jarius Sneed - a very good CB

Do we really think that the Titans are better after free agency????
Who cares? The point is that we're not.
Old 03-23-2024, 03:25 PM

Because people are trying to make the point that the rest of the teams in the AFC south are suddenly so much better than the Colts. Which I just disagree with on so many levels.

The Colts philosophy has always been the draft, so our natural improvement is through the development of our own players and them improving year on year. So next year the young guys who saw playing time will be improved etc.

Can you say we have got worse? If not and our roster has remained much the same, come next year we are likely to be better.

Other teams have a similar philosophy and their rosters will of course develop as well. But the Colts are consistently one of the better teams in terms of the draft.

We also manage our cap really well, so that we don't lose players year after year that we might want to keep.

What we have missed for quite a few years is elite QB play. Which hopefully we have now secured, but that is still to be proven.

In my opinion, and i know not everyone agrees with this, is that this is probably one of the best rosters i can recall the Colts having from top to bottom. The fact that we were able to be competitive in almost every game is testament to that, along with quality coaching. But coaches are meant to be getting the maximum out of players, and then making the right calls in the crucial moments of games.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ukcolt For This Useful Post:
BCN#1 (03-23-2024), Colts And Orioles (03-23-2024), Racehorse (03-23-2024), sherck (03-24-2024), TheMugwump (03-26-2024), YDFL Commish (03-24-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 03:26 PM

Thanked 1,250 Times in 701 Posts

I think this cements a corner (Mitchell/Arnold) in round one now. I’m fine with that but am still a bit miffed that we haven’t brought in some more outside talent to start, provide depth, or provide a solid veteran presence. I wonder if one of Simmons, Blackmon, Clowney, or Gilmore is still within the budget.
YDFL Commish (03-24-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 03:35 PM

I also wonder if i am actually in the minority with my opinion that the roster is good. Or if it just the whiney bitchy community who complain when the sun rises in the east each day, and that they just shout the loudest.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukcolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (03-23-2024), sherck (03-24-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 04:06 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
I think this cements a corner (Mitchell/Arnold) in round one now. I’m fine with that but am still a bit miffed that we haven’t brought in some more outside talent to start, provide depth, or provide a solid veteran presence. I wonder if one of Simmons, Blackmon, Clowney, or Gilmore is still within the budget.
I was thinking the same thing until Mitchell’s pro day and he said he’s not met with the Colts, almost makes you wonder if they might go Chop Robinson or Latu
Old 03-23-2024, 04:13 PM

The colts dodged a bullet not signing Sneed. Too much money for not a true shutdown corner
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jasperhobbs For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (03-23-2024), sherck (03-24-2024), YDFL Commish (03-24-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 04:27 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,660 Times in 960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
He probably told Ballard he wanted a ham sandwich free from the cafeteria every day and Ballard called his bluff on that shit. Over three years, prob saved the franchise $432. Good move Ballard, good fucking move.

Constantly, perpetually, hypothesizing why the dude sits on his hands as some form of justification for him just SUCKING as a GM. Dude is just lazy and entitled and doesn't give a fuck about much other than that paycheck.
Please demonstrate this "SUCKING as a GM" you refer to. His job is putting talent on the roster, and the roster was talented enough last year that it almost won the division with the backup QB starting 13 games, and it was the backup QB that cost them that chance in the end. He's also consistently pulled 2 or more starters out of every draft class, and quite frankly has been a better overall drafter than Bill Polian, who is a Hall of Famer and as a GM responsible for the most successful era of Colts football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
If there were medical concerns then fair enough. The other possible excuses I'm not buying. We could have outbid Teen w/ a 3rd rounder this year or included a day 3 pick instead of a swap as the kicker, etc. Also, the IN income tax rate per the IN.gov website is 3.05%, which for $19M is $665K. Obviously to us that's a shit ton of money, but in terms of NFL salary cap it's a drop in the bucket.
I believe it was a combination of all of the factors listed above, but honestly we don't even really know if the Colts were ever in on him at all. Schefter says they weren't, but I'm not 100% sure I buy that. As far as the state tax thing, you're leaving out the local tax that pushes Indiana's tax rate closer to 5% and varies based on both where you live and work.

But I will say that if the Colts could've gotten him for a similar package, then I really hope their problem was that they didn't like the medicals, because the trade compensation was a bargain price and the contract he signed isn't terrible if he continues to perform at a high level and doesn't get hurt.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (03-23-2024), Racehorse (03-23-2024), TheMugwump (03-26-2024)