ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-28-2017, 12:31 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
So get the best available OL to make sure that Luck is still upright when and if the process is completed.
what do you mean the 'process is completed?' Its never complete, you are always looking to get better.

My belief is take BPA with thought of need. If you have a player rated way higher than any others when you pick, take him. If you have 'similarly' rated players, take the one that fits a need for you (the most need if both are needed).

So for Rd. 2, if a CB is rated higher than an OL, take the CB.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
GoBigBlue88 (04-28-2017), VeveJones007 (04-28-2017), Wyatt (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 12:47 PM

If we're talking about value regarding our areas of need, still say that ILB is the place where the need/availability delta will be most striking.

Zach Cunningham is the last top caliber ILB. After him, it's a fairly steep dropoff to McMillian, Duke Riley, etc.

I think there will very likely be some CB's available at Round 2 that will be very nice value. I think there will also be that in Round 3. I do think one could make the argument that Quincy Wilson is such a top caliber CB prospect that his value would be overwhelming at 2.14, though.

With EDGE, again, the value will be there later on, I think. Hell, I might like Carl Lawson and Tim Williams (who could be Round 3 picks) over Jordan Willis and Tyus Bowser (who are getting hyped as Round 2 picks).

ILB is where we'll possibly have the shot that we won't have elsewhere. You could actually make that argument about RB to be honest, too. I'm guessing Kamara/Cook/Mixon all go in Round 2. Pass on them and I think that's a similarly big dropoff.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:52 PM

Thanked 1,666 Times in 796 Posts

Actually cut Gruden a break. If you noticed, it was his job to play the negative on each pick last night. Kiper had all the positives on the picks, Gruden had all the negatives. And every bit of their rundowns was 100% scripted in advance. There is no way this is what Gruden really believes about Hooker or any of the picks. These guys might as well be actors saying their lines.

Anyway, Ballard said he wanted to increase the # of turnovers, he wanted ballhawks on defense, and he got the best one in the draft.
The Following User Says Thank You to HoosierinFL For This Useful Post:
apballin (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 02:08 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
Again -- you're not gonna fix the entire defense in one draft. Ballard has made big strides at FS, NT and positive strides at SAM (Simon>Walden) and EDGE (Sheard>Mathis) so far.

You're not wrong in this team needing EDGE dynamism still. But I really believe the CBs on Day 2 will be infinitely better players than the EDGE players on Day 2.
I think "infinitely better" is strong hyperbole. I'll agree Quincy Wilson or a ready-for-the-season Sidney Jones would be head and shoulders above the available pass rushers. After that though I think the talent drops off some and you can be comfortable waiting til round 3 or 4 with the idea of signing a FA ASAP.

Even if we get great players at positions of need it will take time to actually make it a defense. No denying that. That assumes Pagano and Monachino are capable of even doing it.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:54 PM

For what it's worth...Urban Meyer is on Dan Dakitch show right now and he claims that Hooker is the best he's seen at the safety position collegiately in the last 10 years. Isn't concerned about the tackling issues.....chalks that up to not growing up as a football player but is confident that he will get better there quickly but he has great playmaking / difference making ability that is innate.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:32 PM

press conference is on live now. fyi
Old 04-28-2017, 03:52 PM

just said he's 85-90% healthy, should be 100% in 3 weeks or so on 1070
Old 04-28-2017, 03:56 PM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

i like the pick. if he is as advertised, then he is exactly what we need. and that is defensive playmakers.

i also wish we could have gotten mckinley now that i heard him lose his fucking mind after getting drafted. this defense needs some crazy bastards running around.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:01 PM

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
If he only gets to a Bethea-level of productivity, is he worth the pick?
No. Bethea was good, but never had as many int's as Hooker should.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:16 PM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
No. Bethea was good, but never had as many int's as Hooker should.
i disagree

if he has a career like Bethea i think that would be worth it. anything over that would be great.