ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Everything Else > General Topics

Old 05-01-2019, 10:45 AM

Default Virtual Reality

Anybody here tried virtual reality? My kids received virtual reality headsets as a throw-in when I got them new phones a year ago or so. You just download a little software, plug the phone in and put the headset on. The headsets and lenses were just plastic, so I kinda figured it was just a cheap gimmick. However, when they finally convinced me to try it out, I was blown away. That technology is WAY more advanced than I had imagined.

Just throwing this out there for anyone who hasn’t tried it out yet – give it a shot. Yes, the headsets are admittedly a little dorky for now, but you won’t believe how cool it is. And if you start thinking about the uses that this (and its sister technology, augmented reality) will have, it’s pretty mindblowing.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:36 PM

I will add, to bring this topic a little closer to sports, that there's an app that let's you watch various professional sports in virtual reality. I watched a few basketball highlights, which place you either behind the backboard or on the floor. They also had some NFL highlights (not Colts-related sadly) that gave you the sideline perspective. This is much different that watching a TV - it gives you the real world feeling that you're standing on the sideline.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:01 AM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

No
Old 05-02-2019, 09:49 AM

Hmmm... "No" as in you haven't tried it, or "no" as in it sucks?

I'm just curious how people feel about this technology. Like I said, I was blown away by it and thought immediately that this is where everything will be inevitably heading. It's one of those things that hasn't quite caught on yet, but it feels to me like it HAS to - with the exception of having to use a large headset (which will get more streamlined as time goes on), it seems to be a giant leap forward over a TV or a computer screen.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:12 PM
Accidental Administrator

I play a good bit of Gran Tourismo in PS4, and dont have the VR headset. I wish I could just rent one for a bit to see what it's like.

I have two young kids, get little time to myself where I could cover my eyes and ears for an hour.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
Old 05-03-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
I play a good bit of Gran Tourismo in PS4, and dont have the VR headset. I wish I could just rent one for a bit to see what it's like.

I have two young kids, get little time to myself where I could cover my eyes and ears for an hour.
Have you tried one of the phone-based headsets? Those can be had for like $5, and would give you an idea of what virtual reality is like (though I’m sure it's not nearly as powerful as a PS4-based system). Google even makes a cardboard headset that you can just fold up and place your phone into. Better yet, if you have a Samsung phone, you can get the one my kids received, called the Gear VR. It’s also pretty cheap (less than $20), but the big advantage is that Samsung has a partnership with one of the big virtual reality companies (Oculus) so you get access to the Oculus system of programs and apps – kind of like the App Store for use by Apple products. The programs in Oculus’s system all work well and are designed to be easy to use.

I have not played Gran Turismo, but racing games like that could be problematic in virtual reality if you are prone to motion sickness like I am. I don’t get seasick, carsick or airsick, but it only takes about 10 seconds for me to feel a bit queasy in a virtual reality program where my movement is simulated. My youngest daughter, on the other hand, gets carsick, but has no such issues in virtual reality. The motion sickness issue is one of the big challenges that still needs to be solved.

I’ve limited my experience to programs where my perspective is largely stationary. Even then, however, it’s pretty amazing. A few examples:

1. Pictures – It puts you inside the picture, for lack of a better phrase. Certainly a better perspective than looking a photo or a computer screen.

2. Movies – my kids’ headsets came with an app that plays movies (or even videos taken with your phone) on a giant movie screen.

3. Maps / Google Streetview – there’s an app that lets you type in any address in the world and you’ll be transported into the Google Streetview photo of that exact spot. However, unlike looking at them on a computer screen, you are inside the picture.

4. Netflix – Netflix has an app that allows you to watch their shows on a giant-screen TV. Works pretty flawlessly.

Those are just a few examples. There are tons of apps, many of them games most of which I haven't played.