ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-28-2019, 10:38 PM

Thanked 2,236 Times in 1,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Yep... that means he drafted for need and not BPA like he said he was going to. The media always picked needs for teams.
He also said it would be a defense-heavy draft , so BPA is obviously a fluid concept. Need will always be a part of the draft to some degree.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:18 AM

Thanked 2,591 Times in 1,154 Posts

Quote:
Yep... that means he drafted for need and not BPA like he said he was going to. The media always picked needs for teams.

I think it depends a bit on what type of depth the draft has. Ballard stated before the draft that they had Players 16-70 ranked very closely together and you really had to split hairs to rank one over another. At that point, you can take a look at your needs and address them.

Besides Ballard, SI's MMQB had the same observation before the draft when they posted their final mock draft:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/22/mo...dwayne-haskins

Quote:
But I think if you got a look at most teams’ boards, you’d consistently see these five names near the top.

After that, it’s absolutely anyone’s guess who goes where.

“The meat of this draft is Day 2 and Day 3,” one AFC exec said on Sunday night. “The second-to-fourth round is where it’s at. Once we get by that first level, with the elite guys, to me, it’s all the same.”

“After Bosa and Allen and Quinnen Williams,” one AFC GM said, “it’s a legit crapshoot.”

So here’s what that means: Most teams I’ve talked to over the last two weeks expect that in the 12-16 range, they’ll be looking at guys with second-round grades. There are that few real blue-chip players in the class. The flip side? Well, the flip side is that those second-round grades could stretch well into the third round, and the expectation is that there are going to finds well into Day 3.

That adds up to a lot of good, similarly graded players, and a very unpredictable first round.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 01:04 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,610 Times in 2,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Oh yeah, and FWIW, Kiper gave the Colts the only A grade of the draft. Maybe for once he will be right about something?
Has he ever done that before. Don’t think he has. I was trying to see if ESPN would do a bit on EJ Green and if walking draft encyclopedia Kiper knew anything. But they stayed at commercial then skipped over him. I guess even Kiper didn’t know anything about him. He doesn’t mention him in the grade either.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/in...t-picks-steals
Old 04-29-2019, 01:07 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,610 Times in 2,021 Posts

Quote:
Fans do too, that’s why their always upset when it doesn’t match up with their draft guide.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:29 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,608 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
He most assuredly did not draft for need, because he traded down instead of taking arguably the best pass rusher in the draft, and he didn't draft a DT when two were needed before he traded Ridgeway.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:33 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I completely agree. Same with free agency. I am nervous when the 'experts' think we did great
Reporters arent experts. The experts are the people running the teams. And the draft is a gamble. Its not just athletic ability. There needs to be a mix of intelligence, determination, ability and some good luck.

And some times shit happens. Thats where character matters, in the front office, coaches and players.

This all looks good now. By the first game we might have a clue how this draft class will work out
Old 04-29-2019, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
He most assuredly did not draft for need, because he traded down instead of taking arguably the best pass rusher in the draft, and he didn't draft a DT when two were needed before he traded Ridgeway.
He addressed the 3 tech last yrs draft. He added pass rush with Houston and BB. Can’t draft guys and then immediately draft more guys at the same position every yr before you let them develop. The UT is pretty stacked with Autry Lewis Ward and Turay and Hunt. Yes I know they rotated Hunt all over the line but he did some things at the 3 tech

Ridgeway wasn’t gonna make the team in Ballard’s eyes. So he got something for him

Sweat was a medical concern. That is why the team that finally took him is drafting high every yr

He said. We felt like we. We’re to address the LB position. And that’s where he concentrated CB Was a need. WR was a need LB was a need.

He preached trenches DL and Oline so I figured BPA in those areas and he took a corner. Yes I think Rock is a very good corner worthy of a 1st rd pick.

Time will tell I’m not gonna complain about this draft. I do think we add at least 1 NT and some more oline in FA possibly another RDE
Old 04-29-2019, 10:02 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,608 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
He addressed the 3 tech last yrs draft. He added pass rush with Houston and BB. Can’t draft guys and then immediately draft more guys at the same position every yr before you let them develop. The UT is pretty stacked with Autry Lewis Ward and Turay and Hunt. Yes I know they rotated Hunt all over the line but he did some things at the 3 tech

Ridgeway wasn’t gonna make the team in Ballard’s eyes. So he got something for him

Sweat was a medical concern. That is why the team that finally took him is drafting high every yr

He said. We felt like we. We’re to address the LB position. And that’s where he concentrated CB Was a need. WR was a need LB was a need.

He preached trenches DL and Oline so I figured BPA in those areas and he took a corner. Yes I think Rock is a very good corner worthy of a 1st rd pick.

Time will tell I’m not gonna complain about this draft. I do think we add at least 1 NT and some more oline in FA possibly another RDE
One DE/DT who was injured for a good chunk of the year did not address the position. Including Lewis as a full DT, right now, the DT unit consists of Hunt, Autry, Lewis, Stewart, and UDFAs. That leaves the position dangerously thin IMO. Maybe they sign a free agent, but if they roll with what they have now, getting gashed on the interior may be the undoing of this team. That may end up a good thing, however, as Ballard tends to be thematic with his drafts. Last year, fixing the trenches was his priority, and this year he addressed team speed on defense. In both cases, the thing he addressed was what he felt the team's biggest weakness from the prior year was.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:29 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

I liked the draft overall, but to me, the big question mark is what they made out of the 26th pick. Instead of Sweat or Abram, they got Banogu, Tell, and a 2020 2nd. Impossible to say if it was the right or wrong call at this point, but there's a decent chance Sweat is tearing things up by getting 10+ sacks in 2020 while Banogu and Tell barely get on the field and the Colts pass rush remains lackluster.

Last edited by VeveJones007; 04-29-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:47 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
One DE/DT who was injured for a good chunk of the year did not address the position. Including Lewis as a full DT, right now, the DT unit consists of Hunt, Autry, Lewis, Stewart, and UDFAs. That leaves the position dangerously thin IMO. Maybe they sign a free agent, but if they roll with what they have now, getting gashed on the interior may be the undoing of this team. That may end up a good thing, however, as Ballard tends to be thematic with his drafts. Last year, fixing the trenches was his priority, and this year he addressed team speed on defense. In both cases, the thing he addressed was what he felt the team's biggest weakness from the prior year was.
Just looking at the DL depth, they have to add at least one UFA body unless they're a lot higher on Stewart than they've appeared to be.