ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2018, 10:19 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts
Default Defensive expectations under Reich, Eberflus

We know about Eberflus' history. 4-3, Marinelli concepts that descend from Dungy's Tampa 2. Probably a more updated coverage scheme than the zone that continually killed us back then though. And there's the Rob Ryan connection, some concepts from there may bleed in.

Should we expect anything else? Will Reich have any input? He's the HC, how could he not? Will he want to implement any of Schwartz' Wide 9 into the defense, and does Eberflus have any experience with it? Despite how much yardage the Eagles D gave up in the SB, they were very effective all year and got pressure from many different players.

Their DE group is very good. Brandon Graham, Vinny Curry, Chris Long, and Derek Barnett are players that could all start for a number of NFL teams. We have Sheard, who I think can hang w/that group, and Basham, who is probably better-suited to down lineman than stand-up rush OLB. And then nobody. John Simon will probably be an OLB and the one to move down in Under looks. Mingo will have to work to find a spot, he's not a lineman at all and if he plays at all on defense it'll be at LB. Seems likely we'll draft Chubb at #3, and still probably go after a DE in FA.

The interior DL looks good. Don't think Hankins is on Fletcher Cox' level, but he should have the skill set to be good in that role. If healthy I'd expect Anderson to start at DT over Woods, though rotation will obviously come into play depending on opponent and situation.

Philly's LBs seem a lot more talented than ours. I think Simon will do well enough transitioning to SAM. We need MLB and WLB, maybe the guy from Dallas will sign here. Would not at all mind Tremaine Edmunds in the draft but I'm not sure we'll have the opportunity.

I don't see the need to bolster our DBs a ton. Re-sign Melvin and keep our starters healthy, maybe bring in some depth where needed.