ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-11-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I strongly suspect that Rivers will be back, and my guess is that neither Rhodes nor Autry will return. Nothing wrong with either player, and I'm not saying we wouldn't want them back, but both will probably get better offers elsewhere, and I just don't see Ballard matching a big dollar multi-year deal on a 30-year CB or DT (not that Autry will get a mega deal or anything, just that I'd expect it to be more than the Colts would offer)

As far as free agency, I'd expect a similar approach to what we've seen in the past. However, I don't think that what happens with Rivers, Rhodes or Autry will really dictate whether or not we sign someone in free agency.
I don't see Rivers coming back unless he signs a very low deal. He won't be better next year than he was this year and this year proved he's not going to lead the team to a SB.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
I don't see Rivers coming back unless he signs a very low deal. He won't be better next year than he was this year and this year proved he's not going to lead the team to a SB.
That’s where we disagree I suppose. I honestly don’t understand your comment that Rivers proved he could not lead us to a SB. The guy played pretty well overall. Certainly, you can point out many mistakes he made during the year and a few rough patches, but he was above average and good enough for our purposes. His play did not deteriorate over the course of the year, despite an ongoing toe problem, and I thought he played more than well enough for us to win on Saturday.

The idea that some are suggesting that should get rid of Rivers and Brissett, and find a rookie QB to play instead, seems pretty out there to me. There is no way that the Colts are going to start a rookie QB with this roster. This is a developmentally mature, improving team. They won't place an inexperienced QB at the helm. We will have a veteran QB leading the Colts next season, and to me everything points to Rivers. He’s already in our system, he played well and we won. The coaches seem to like him, and Rivers himself seems to really want to return too. A trade is the only thing that could derail this in my view.

As far as salary, I really don’t know what he’s done that would merit a reduction there. He played fairly poorly in 2019 yet we paid him $25M to come here anyway. He played much better this year. Yes, he’s a year older, but he showed no signs of slowing down and several other high profile QBs have shown that they can remain strong and effective into their early 40s. And the reality is that $25M is the going rate for a good starting QB, probably even more. Thus, to me, a salary increase is more likely than a salary reduction, though if the cap is going down I suppose that will work against him. I think it will be a one year deal, though, possibly with an option year (or a second year with little or no cap consequences if we cut him, which would effectively be the same thing)
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
That’s where we disagree I suppose. I honestly don’t understand your comment that Rivers proved he could not lead us to a SB. ...
On 4th and goal, he overthrew an open receiver and we came away with no points. On the final drive, he failed to get the team in FG position with 2 minutes on the clock. He played well for most of the season and for most of that game, but when we needed him the most? ...
Racehorse (01-12-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 04:24 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
On 4th and goal, he overthrew an open receiver and we came away with no points. On the final drive, he failed to get the team in FG position with 2 minutes on the clock. He played well for most of the season and for most of that game, but when we needed him the most? ...

Overall Rivers was fine, probably the best option we had for this year. He played as well as he could but I agree with Ed here, I dont think he has enough to take us all the way, especially against the better teams. Its not like this is a new narrative for him, he has been this way his entire career. I have friends that are life long charger fans that basically said “welcome to our world” after the game. Maybe we have one more year with rivers at the helm, but they need to take a ling look at their options before making any decisions, like how reich said he definitely wants him back next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2021, 04:36 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
Overall Rivers was fine, probably the best option we had for this year. He played as well as he could but I agree with Ed here, I dont think he has enough to take us all the way, especially against the better teams. Its not like this is a new narrative for him, he has been this way his entire career. I have friends that are life long charger fans that basically said “welcome to our world” after the game. Maybe we have one more year with rivers at the helm, but they need to take a ling look at their options before making any decisions, like how reich said he definitely wants him back next year.

Tom Brady also wanted to come here. Throw out the hate and look at it objectively. He might have been a better option since he has traditionally been very accurate on short and intermediate throws. Would not have gone over well with fans though.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Tom Brady also wanted to come here. Throw out the hate and look at it objectively. He might have been a better option since he has traditionally been very accurate on short and intermediate throws. Would not have gone over well with fans though.

He did? I didn’t know or hear that. Regardless, as you said it probably would have never happened based on history

Old 01-11-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:

I didn't really see that on Saturday. He made several clutch throws including the one to Pascal at the end. The failed pass to Pittman in the end zone during the 2nd Quarter was disappointing but a tough throw of more than 20 yards under the circumstances. Still, I think its a fair criticism, and he's definitely not perfect. Most of the problems on Saturday were coaching though.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:22 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,660 Times in 960 Posts

Quote:
I'd rather they burn the franchise to the ground than put that cheater in our colors on our team. He's human scum and I'm glad Irsay was smart enough not to let him infect this franchise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-12-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 05:35 PM

Thanked 2,665 Times in 1,182 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
He did? I didn’t know or hear that. Regardless, as you said it probably would have never happened based on history

Yeah, Tommy Cheater indicated that he was interested in playing for the Colts.

I think McVisor's stunt made it a non-starter for Ballard.

At the time, it was hard to know if the rift between Belicheat and Tommy Cheater could be repaired or not. If the Colts tried to negotiate with the Cheater, Kraft might have stepped in and intervened and brought him back to the Cheats. It wouldn't be a good look for Ballard if that happened twice.

As much as Tommy Cheater likes to prank and troll people / teams / fans, you also had to wonder how serious the Belicheat / Tommy Cheater rift was in the first place.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Chaka (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 05:57 PM

Default ** The Official will the Bills go down like Omahas mom vs the Colts Game day thread**

Quote:
I didn't really see that on Saturday. He made several clutch throws including the one to Pascal at the end. The failed pass to Pittman in the end zone during the 2nd Quarter was disappointing but a tough throw of more than 20 yards under the circumstances. Still, I think its a fair criticism, and he's definitely not perfect. Most of the problems on Saturday were coaching though.

Like i said, he played fine, I am just not sure he has enough to take it to the next level.

I mentioned earlier in the year I feel like his longer passes are almost slow motion. Praying the ball actually gets to the receiver. Contrast that with how the ball comes out from other older QBs like brees and rodgers. Maybe thats just my perception.