ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 03-21-2019, 09:37 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
He was a model player at MSU after the high school incident. I don't think that will play as big of a factor as some think it will, because all of his coaches seem to give glowing reviews from a character perspective.
It was before he even left for college. I’m ok with it. All the reports from college were glowing and he was a model player. At a certain point you have to forgive a kid for a mistake.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:08 PM

I was hoping for more free agent signings, but this one really helps.

Huge area of need.

Add in that this is supposed to be a huge draft class for pass rushers and the Colts can really upgrade that area of the team this offseason between this signing and the draft and not spend huge money for the future doing it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrSpaceman For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (03-21-2019), Luck4Reich (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 10:33 PM

Thanked 1,238 Times in 694 Posts

My respect for Ballard continues to climb. Even more excited about the draft now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thorgrim For This Useful Post:
Indiana V2 (03-21-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 01:26 AM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Wasnt ballard part of the chiefs when they drafted ford?
What is your point? Ballard wasn't gm in KC.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:50 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
What is your point? Ballard wasn't gm in KC.
He still could have had input on drafting Ford though, the GM doesn't do everything by themselves.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:51 AM

So the defensive linemen that we now have are:
Houston, Sheard, Autry and Hunt, that's probably our starting 4 right now. Then we have Turay, Muhammad, Lewis and Ward as the likely next guys up at each position, with Stewart and Ridgeway as our 9th and 10th guys.

We are talking about bringing in yet more additions via the draft at the edge and interior spots, we are going to be cutting some guys who have had some serious playing time in the league. My guess is that both Stewart and Ridgeway are looking doubtful to make the final roster with Muhammad and Ward also possibly struggling to make it. A good position to be in, but could we possibly be in a position where we are looking to trade some of the depth guys and seek some value in return? It is highly unlikely that we keep more than 8 guys, let alone 11 or 12.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:39 AM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana V2 View Post
He still could have had input on drafting Ford though, the GM doesn't do everything by themselves.
Probably the problem with Grigson. He thought he could do it all himself and didn't care about anyones.input.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:40 AM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana V2 View Post
And? How does that really affect contract/trade negotiations for this offseason? Ballard has repeatedly said he has a price/value for everyone and wont exceed that.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:48 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

I've stayed aloof about him and Ford. Both are obviously talented, and Houston is more proven, but I didn't know how well they'd make the transition to 4-3 DE. But few are in a better position to know what Houston can do than Ballard.

We have a shit ton of cap space so money doesn't matter here. Houston appears to still have gas in the tank.

I hope, in addition to being productive himself, that he does for Turay and Lewis what Mitchell did for Wilson last year.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Why the fuck do the contract terms matter at this point?
Since you asked so nicely, I’ll tell you. The terms of the contract matter because we have a salary cap, and a good general manager needs to consider cap implications no matter how much cap space is presently available. I suspect you’ll say that we have so much cap space that we shouldn’t worry about it. It’s the same logic that drives lottery winners bankrupt a few years after winning. You ALWAYS have to consider the cap when evaluating a contract. While it is nice to have lots of cap space, a few bad deals and you’re back struggling against the cap like everyone else. I’ve explained this in detail in other threads, and won’t repeat it here, but essentially, the playing field is level as everyone has the same salary cap. It’s how you spend your allotted money that makes all the difference (and please don’t tell me that it’s all about drafting well or having a good QB – those are simply the other side of the same coin).

It seems to me that Houston is a risky signing. The degree of risk is in large part a function of the contract price. The guy is past his prime, he’s been plagued by injuries over the last few years, and he’s now changing teams and being asked to change his position. Not saying that it’s not a risk worth taking, given his history, but the risk is much greater if, for instance, his contract is fully guaranteed Kirk Cousins-style contract. If the Colts have the option of exiting after the first year (like with Hankins) then the risk is reduced.

This is not the type of signing that Ballard has made in the past. While he has brought in some veterans, they’ve mostly been low cost, serviceable role players. Ballard has emphasized youth and development. So it also concerns me that this is a departure from what I thought was his gameplan. Now, I realize he has a history with Houston, and that 30 is not over-the-hill for a pass rusher, so I remain hopeful. It also might be that Ballard is not satisfied with Turay’s development progress, and doesn’t foresee getting anyone in the draft who can immediately help. I don’t know. It’s just a striking departure from Ballard’s past strategy, so I expressed some concern.