ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 03-12-2019, 07:57 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
BCB has been a fucking moron since he started posting about the colts in 2002 or so. Fuck that idiot

That said, it is really annoying this trend of being internet buttfucked every time you disagree with a move Ballard makes. The dude wanted to hire josh McDaniels as coach. He makes mistakes.
As long as he learns from it and doesn't keep making the same mistakes. But he will make more.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:48 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Calling for Ballard's head is too stupid to be seriously discussed.

On the general subject of Ballard + roster additions, I would say two things:

1. I don't think this is the year Colts go all-in. I think that is 2020.

2. I do worry, though, that Colts won't ever go all-in. I worry that they're going to be the NFL's Pacers: always good because they're smart and value chemistry, but never great because they're too in love with chemistry and never make bold moves. Good can be the enemy of great. I think Polian took his swings to be great in the draft with largely unpopular (at the time!) picks like Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne, Joseph Addai etc. I also think Polian's flaw was that Corey Simon's health scared Polian away from big free agent swings when Simon was perfect when healthy and a totally reasonable signing.

Colts don't have to go all-in this year; they're probably not ready for it. But they do need to next year. If they keep playing moneyball, they might make an AFC title game one year, but that's the ceiling.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoBigBlue88 For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (03-12-2019), Colt Classic (03-12-2019), Coltsalr (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 08:49 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLuck4Chuck View Post
As long as he learns from it and doesn't keep making the same mistakes. But he will make more.
Every GM makes mistakes, as long as he has more wins than misses.

But I don't like the hero worship either.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 03-12-2019 at 08:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 09:15 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
Calling for Ballard's head is too stupid to be seriously discussed.

On the general subject of Ballard + roster additions, I would say two things:

2. I do worry, though, that Colts won't ever go all-in. I worry that they're going to be the NFL's Pacers: always good because they're smart and value chemistry, but never great because they're too in love with chemistry and never make bold moves. Good can be the enemy of great. I think Polian took his swings to be great in the draft with largely unpopular (at the time!) picks like Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne, Joseph Addai etc. I also think Polian's flaw was that Corey Simon's health scared Polian away from big free agent swings when Simon was perfect when healthy and a totally reasonable signing.

Colts don't have to go all-in this year; they're probably not ready for it. But they do need to next year. If they keep playing moneyball, they might make an AFC title game one year, but that's the ceiling.
I don't believe Irsay will accept this BS because he has stated numerous times that he wants multiple SB titles. I doubt he will allow anyone to waste all of Luck's years with this dumb ass philosophy. At least I hope not.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I don't believe Irsay will accept this BS because he has stated numerous times that he wants multiple SB titles. I doubt he will allow anyone to waste all of Luck's years with this dumb ass philosophy. At least I hope not.
Assuming the magic runs out and his picks and acquisitions start turning into duds, by the time Ballard would be held accountable, Luck would be in the twilight of his career.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:34 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

There's a lot to unpack there, GBB, most of which I disagree with.

Quote:
I haven't heard a single thing to suggest Ballard will suddenly change his approach. He puts a value on players and walks away when the bidding goes above that level. Why do you think he will change that approach?

Quote:
2. I do worry, though, that Colts won't ever go all-in. I worry that they're going to be the NFL's Pacers: always good because they're smart and value chemistry, but never great because they're too in love with chemistry and never make bold moves.
The Colts took a huge leap forward last year. Why? Because they drafted really fucking well, were well coached, and made savvy additions. They have the youngest roster in the NFL (aside from Vinatieri). Are we to believe guys the core of the team has maxed out? Is it impossible for them to improve in the draft again? To get a good contribution from a guy like Funchess?

Quote:
I think Polian took his swings to be great in the draft with largely unpopular (at the time!) picks like Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne, Joseph Addai etc. I also think Polian's flaw was that Corey Simon's health scared Polian away from big free agent swings when Simon was perfect when healthy and a totally reasonable signing.
Polian simply didn't have the cap space to make free agent moves post-Simon. He had to extend Reggie, Freeney, Sanders, Mathis, Brackett, Saturday, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
sherck (03-13-2019), Spike (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I hope your right !
Old 03-12-2019, 09:54 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

I think it's more likely Dee Ford is an impact player than Devin Funchess or Kemoko Turay.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoBigBlue88 For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (03-13-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 10:02 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
I think it's more likely Dee Ford is an impact player than Devin Funchess or Kemoko Turay.
We aren’t looking for impact players. We are looking for bargain players that barely outplay their contracts. Winning games does t matter. Only not overpaying and banking cash matters. In 5 years we can sign one of our own.

Building a culture is better than a championship
Old 03-12-2019, 10:44 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
We aren’t looking for impact players. We are looking for bargain players that barely outplay their contracts. Winning games does t matter. Only not overpaying and banking cash matters. In 5 years we can sign one of our own.

Building a culture is better than a championship
How many offseasons did the Patriots win before their 6 titles? The only one was 2007 and they lost that year.

Look, I’m irritated that Ballard hasn’t done more, but it isn’t worth the level of griping on this board. There is more than one way to skin a cat. He has a plan that is capable of resulting in continued results. Let’s see if he can pull it off.