ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-27-2023, 12:29 PM

Thanked 1,649 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
No his question is one that you know is impossible to answer. Coaches don’t complain about the moves GMs make. Period. And you both fucking know it. The insinuation is that the Reich wanted the bad options he was given at LT to start the season. A rookie who only played the position for two years in college and a journeyman guard. All I can say is if Reich WANTED the obvious holes left on the roster every year, then yes he deserved to be fired. But that means Ballard is nothing but a puppet and people need to quit giving him credit for the good on the roster, because that would also be all Reich. Right?

I’m curious WTF you guys think a GM does. If he just follows the coaches orders then why is the position so important?
True, it is impossible. But you have no problem reading Chris Ballard's mind just like the anti-Reich guys have no problem reading his.

I'll speak for myself and say there is no insinuation that Reich wanted what they ended up with. The only people giving takes like the ones in bold above are fervent anti-Reich guys or anti-Ballard guys. I personally believe they came to the decision together and it just didn't work.

Both parties seem to have a real problem accepting the fact that the HC and GM collaborate on these decisions. One guy claims, "Frank Reich said fuck you to Chris Ballard" and the next guy claims, "Chris Ballard said fuck you to Frank Reich."

You can believe that if you want, but there's no evidence for it.
Old 02-27-2023, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
True, it is impossible. But you have no problem reading Chris Ballard's mind just like the anti-Reich guys have no problem reading his.

I'll speak for myself and say there is no insinuation that Reich wanted what they ended up with. The only people giving takes like the ones in bold above are fervent anti-Reich guys or anti-Ballard guys. I personally believe they came to the decision together and it just didn't work.

Both parties seem to have a real problem accepting the fact that the HC and GM collaborate on these decisions. One guy claims, "Frank Reich said fuck you to Chris Ballard" and the next guy claims, "Chris Ballard said fuck you to Frank Reich."

You can believe that if you want, but there's no evidence for it.
There is plenty of evidence that Ballard has a team building philosophy - we’ve heard him share it consistently. And the team has largely been built that way. LT last year was handled 100% consistently with that philosophy and with what we’ve seen at other positions - a low level place holder on a minor contract and then a rookie that’s expected to take over. Yet it is repeatedly painted as if that was Reich’s choice. If it was, then yes he deserved to be fired. However in is consistent with what we’ve seen from Ballard and his stated building method.

Yes it is and should be a collaborative effort between coach and GM. Traits and skills at certain positions should largely be dictated by what the coaches want. Straight lining contracts and avoiding free agency is not. And passing off the frustration of Ballard’s slow roll on Reich as Chrome is doing is completely disingenuous.
Old 02-27-2023, 01:54 PM

Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,214 Posts

Quote:
There is plenty of evidence that Ballard has a team building philosophy - we’ve heard him share it consistently. And the team has largely been built that way. LT last year was handled 100% consistently with that philosophy and with what we’ve seen at other positions - a low level place holder on a minor contract and then a rookie that’s expected to take over. Yet it is repeatedly painted as if that was Reich’s choice. If it was, then yes he deserved to be fired. However in is consistent with what we’ve seen from Ballard and his stated building method.

Yes it is and should be a collaborative effort between coach and GM. Traits and skills at certain positions should largely be dictated by what the coaches want. Straight lining contracts and avoiding free agency is not. And passing off the frustration of Ballard’s slow roll on Reich as Chrome is doing is completely disingenuous.

Hasn't Ballard always said that you win up front with the O-Line and D-Line?
Old 02-27-2023, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Hasn't Ballard always said that you win up front with the O-Line and D-Line?
Yes. And he’s spent a significant amount of resources on both lines. The OL was the most expensive in the league. But he has also stated that you build through the draft and has repeatedly provided little real competition for his draft picks that are made to fill an immediate hole. Look at DE 2 years ago. Cleared out all the experienced vets and handed it to his draft picks - whether they deserved it or not.

I mostly like Ballard’s talent evaluation, but I dislike his team building / roster management.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:05 PM

Ultimately I don’t want to go down this road again- it’s well established my thoughts on Ballard. However, Chrome’s initial post insinuates Ballard’s frustrating roster building was driven by Reich. I strongly disagree. He’s also indicated Ballard hasn’t pushed because QB hasn’t been settled. I disagree with the philosophy but think that is a little more plausible. We’ll find out.
Old 02-27-2023, 04:09 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,666 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
You know damn well the minute a coach says the team sucks because the GM hasn’t solved QB, or LT, or WR, or DE he’s fired. It’s interesting to discover Ballard has no philosophy of his own - the build completely through the draft mantra was all Reich right?

Ballard is fucking Teflon, now he works for the fucking coach, and makes no decisions. Unfucking real.
I don’t get the weird obsessions with Ballard. Guy isn’t perfect but he does a good job drafting and finding talent. He’s a lot better than Grigson who didn’t seem to warrant this kind of vehemence.

This stuff has a way of leaking out through other channels. So wtf did Ballard do that Reich didn’t want? He got him Rivers, he got him Wentz. It hasn’t been a lack of trying to fix QB. Rivers worked for a year. It’s only been a couple years. He filled LT in the second year of needing one. We have some promising young DEs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (03-01-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 04:39 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I don’t get the weird obsessions with Ballard. Guy isn’t perfect but he does a good job drafting and finding talent. He’s a lot better than Grigson who didn’t seem to warrant this kind of vehemence.

This stuff has a way of leaking out through other channels. So wtf did Ballard do that Reich didn’t want? He got him Rivers, he got him Wentz. It hasn’t been a lack of trying to fix QB. Rivers worked for a year. It’s only been a couple years. He filled LT in the second year of needing one. We have some promising young DEs.
Its easy to sit on the internet and use hindsight as a crystal ball
Old 02-27-2023, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post

Ballard has built the team exactly how he said he would. When I pointed out (several years ago) that in the modern NFL it is needlessly slow I was told I was nuts. Look back at the history and you certainly can’t say I was wrong. The Eagles won a SB, completely rebuilt the team (including changing QBs) and just played in another in the time that Ballard has done what? Slowly filled holes.

Fuck man I hope you are right that all he did was what Reich wanted. If true then I expect a completely different GM. But I don’t think you even really believe that. The team has been built by Ballard’s mold. I’m not sure how anyone can disagree. And I don’t even really knock the guy for QB. I knock him for never filling out the roster when he acquired the possible QB.
Old 02-27-2023, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Its easy to sit on the internet and use hindsight as a crystal ball
BS I’m tired of hearing the hindsight argument on any criticism of Ballard. I’ve consistently criticized Ballard’s stated method since his second off season. That’s not hindsight. And I pretty much never criticize him for who he has drafted or who he signed at QB. Everyone is going to miss on players. It’s constantly wasting season after season on development that pisses me off. In 6 years he still hasn’t had a season where he pushed to win. Not fucking once.

Last edited by rm1369; 02-27-2023 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-27-2023, 07:05 PM

Quote:
That’s a pretty simplified explanation. You can’t get me to believe Reich WANTED what was done at WR, DE, or LT over the last few years. Yes the GM should prioritize the types of players the coaching staff prefers. But no coach wants the slow roll method of “wait until I can eventually draft a guy” that Ballard employs. That’s simply BS.
With Pierce, Campbell, and Pittman, Ballard has assembled a very nice group of Receivers. The problem was an Offensive Line that couldn’t provide time for routes to develop and a Quarterback whose best years were years ago.

As far as LT is concerned, Ballards initial move, to sign an all pro talent who was coming off a non career threatening injury, was sound. When Fisher didn’t work out, he drafted Raimann and signed Pryor as a stopgap. Judging by the skills Pryor demonstrated as a backup, it wasn’t unreasonable to think he’d be, at least, competent. He wasn’t, Raimann took over, and was playing reasonably well by week 18. In ways, his progress mirrored that of the Giant’s Andrew Thomas.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kray007 For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (02-27-2023), Racehorse (03-01-2023), YDFL Commish (02-27-2023)