ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-12-2023, 01:41 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,663 Times in 2,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
Exactly. There was much speculation that Bjorn Werner had some form of dirt involving Polian which allowed him to be employed and compensated for doing effectively nothing. It is simple deduction that Pryor has the same on Ballard.
I don’t know how many times I have to say this. The GM doesn’t set the depth chart. The coach does. Ballard wasn’t forcing Reich to start Pryor, they thought the other guys would help elevate Pryor’s game. As soon as Saturday got here Pryor was tried at RG, then summarily benched by Saturday… the head coach. Partially I think Kelly starting the season injured is the reason Pryor wasn’t replaced sooner.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (02-12-2023), YDFL Commish (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 01:46 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Not my first choice for head coach, but definitely better than Saturday. Retaining Gus Bradley as DC makes it an A+ move IMO. Now to hope Steichen can put together an offensive staff that can develop a rookie QB into a franchise QB, and hopefully more of a pocket passer than a hybrid QB/RB. Please no Greg Roman style offense in Indy.
To me when evaluating the accomplishments. He helped make Herbert into what he is. I like Steichen simply for what he did with Hurts. Everybody thought Hurts was a gasket player at best and they turned him into a franchise QB. I always read that Hurts was a great person with high character. Everyone loves him wherever he went, but they just couldn’t get him molded right. But the Eagles did it. Burrow was a more finished product. But that is just one aspect I’m looking at. Not sure how they interviews or what they had in plan.

I do imagine that Steinchen might align more with the Colts build strategy since the Eagles also emphasize strong line play. So a drastic overal wouldn’t be necessary, just he would be brought to help mold the QB of the future and get that final piece settled.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 02-12-2023 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-12-2023, 01:56 PM
Post whore

Guess it’s just about official

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/35645160
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (02-12-2023), Spike (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 02:20 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

If true it looks like Jimmy got involved only when he felt the wheels were falling off. Then back to letting the professionals run the place. So much for all the hissy fits being thrown about us being a clown show. Fuck everyone for thinking the can get in our crazy owners head
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
JAFF (02-15-2023), Racehorse (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 02:43 PM

Thanked 1,324 Times in 748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
He wanted Gus Bradley for a long time. Reich brought in a good staff. He kept Eberflus. Yeah mcDaniels sucked, but dude was highly sought after by just about every team with an open job. Not like he went out and hired Jeff Saturday. And Reich wasn’t terrible, he kept the team competitive despite a new QB every year. No coach will succeed under those circumstances and will eventually fail. If Reich had Luck I think we would have been looking at a long string of success.
I have no qualms w/ the Reich hire or Bradley. My comments were solely towards the McDickface debacle. I'm not saying Ballard should have known he was going to bail on us, but Ballard should have been able to pick up what a total piece of shit McDickface is during the interviewing process. The fact that he didn't (or even worse that he did but decided to hire him anyway) should throw up a flag that Ballard isn't the best judge of character.

Anyway, I'm happy with Streichen. IMO it's a really good hire. Admittedly I'm a bit surprised he considered coming to the Colts after Sirianni got all butt hurt about Frank being fired, but glad he did.

Last edited by IndyNorm; 02-12-2023 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-12-2023, 03:22 PM

Thanked 1,649 Times in 790 Posts

Not to speak about the intangibles, but the transition to Steichen's offensive system seems like it should be quickest we could've gotten from an new HC.

-Frank Reich (QB Coach) and Nick Sirianni (OQC) started in SD together in 2013.

-Reich moves to OC, Sirianni moves to QB coach, and Steichen joins as OQC for 2014 and 2015.

-Reich leaves for PHI OC job, Sirianni moves to WR coach, Steichen takes over as QB coach, work together 2016 and 2017.

-Sirianni joins Reich in IND in 2018, Steichen promotes from QB coach to OC from 2018-2020.

-Steichen joins Sirianni in PHI in 2021 and 2022.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (02-12-2023), Racehorse (02-12-2023), YDFL Commish (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 07:25 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
If true it looks like Jimmy got involved only when he felt the wheels were falling off. Then back to letting the professionals run the place. So much for all the hissy fits being thrown about us being a clown show. Fuck everyone for thinking the can get in our crazy owners head
Weird how he stepped in and got his team, who desperately needs a young QB, in a position to draft a young QB.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:28 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
I have no qualms w/ the Reich hire or Bradley. My comments were solely towards the McDickface debacle. I'm not saying Ballard should have known he was going to bail on us, but Ballard should have been able to pick up what a total piece of shit McDickface is during the interviewing process. The fact that he didn't (or even worse that he did but decided to hire him anyway) should throw up a flag that Ballard isn't the best judge of character.

Anyway, I'm happy with Streichen. IMO it's a really good hire. Admittedly I'm a bit surprised he considered coming to the Colts after Sirianni got all butt hurt about Frank being fired, but glad he did.
I assume if McDaniels was a dick during the interview process they wouldn’t have tried to hire him.

Anyway yeah, I think he was one of the favorable candidates.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:43 PM

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Not to speak about the intangibles, but the transition to Steichen's offensive system seems like it should be quickest we could've gotten from an new HC.

-Frank Reich (QB Coach) and Nick Sirianni (OQC) started in SD together in 2013.

-Reich moves to OC, Sirianni moves to QB coach, and Steichen joins as OQC for 2014 and 2015.

-Reich leaves for PHI OC job, Sirianni moves to WR coach, Steichen takes over as QB coach, work together 2016 and 2017.

-Sirianni joins Reich in IND in 2018, Steichen promotes from QB coach to OC from 2018-2020.

-Steichen joins Sirianni in PHI in 2021 and 2022.

Steichen can't be any less innovative than Reich was. I do hope that he has some other traits, such as leadership and accountability, that Reich also seemed to lack.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
ChaosTheory (02-12-2023), ChoppedWood (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 07:55 PM

Thanked 2,651 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I assume if McDaniels was a dick during the interview process they wouldn’t have tried to hire him.

Anyway yeah, I think he was one of the favorable candidates.

Yeah, I agree.

Most people (not all) would try to put their best foot forward in an interview and try to smooth over any rough patches.

I think where Ballard went wrong with that hire was trusting his agent too much. Remember that Ballard's agent also represented McVisor. I would bet that Ballard asked his agent some questions to gather some intel about McVisor and was expecting candid feedback. Anyways the agent cut ties with McVisor after that stunt.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (02-12-2023)