ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-21-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
It's not the downside of a CB's career, who has not played a lot during his career.
Just because he hasn't played in as many NFL games as others doesn't mean he still doesn't have a lot of wear on his tires. The guy has been in the league five years, practicing day in and day out. Regardless, I'm not sure that its really a question of how much wear and tear he's exposed to, but rather just the simple fact that the motor skills necessary to be an top CB are at their peak in a person's mid-to-late 20s.

All I'm saying is that I'd be extremely hesitant to sign guys to big guaranteed contracts who are in their late 20s/early 30s and who play positions that rely upon elite athleticism, since the window for those skills to remain at their peak is fairly short. So as much as I like Desir and how he's risen from nothing to become a good corner for us, its not good business to sign these guys to big guaranteed contracts. We've seen it over and over, but some teams (for example, the Raiders or Washington) never seem to learn. Those are contracts that make everyone happy when they're first signed, but the team and fans later grow to regret. If Desir had played the same but was only going to be 26, things would be different.

This is the same reason (among many others) that it wouldn't be a good idea to trade for Antonio Brown (age 31) or sign Le'veon Bell (though he'll be only 27 next year, RBs peak very early).
Old 02-21-2019, 11:15 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Just because he hasn't played in as many NFL games as others doesn't mean he still doesn't have a lot of wear on his tires. The guy has been in the league five years, practicing day in and day out. Regardless, I'm not sure that its really a question of how much wear and tear he's exposed to, but rather just the simple fact that the motor skills necessary to be an top CB are at their peak in a person's mid-to-late 20s.

All I'm saying is that I'd be extremely hesitant to sign guys to big guaranteed contracts who are in their late 20s/early 30s and who play positions that rely upon elite athleticism, since the window for those skills to remain at their peak is fairly short. So as much as I like Desir and how he's risen from nothing to become a good corner for us, its not good business to sign these guys to big guaranteed contracts. We've seen it over and over, but some teams (for example, the Raiders or Washington) never seem to learn. Those are contracts that make everyone happy when they're first signed, but the team and fans later grow to regret. If Desir had played the same but was only going to be 26, things would be different.

This is the same reason (among many others) that it wouldn't be a good idea to trade for Antonio Brown (age 31) or sign Le'veon Bell (though he'll be only 27 next year, RBs peak very early).
Your concerns about his age also limit the type of contract he can expect to get in UFA. He's likely looking at a 3 year deal, which if structured the right way would be like a 1 year deal with two option years. It's low risk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (02-21-2019), sherck (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Your concerns about his age also limit the type of contract he can expect to get in UFA. He's likely looking at a 3 year deal, which if structured the right way would be like a 1 year deal with two option years. It's low risk.
Actually, that's exactly the type of contract that the Colts should try to implement. Pay him well for the first year, but don't commit to him for too long if possible The problem (and maybe the reason we haven't locked him up yet) is that Desir may feel he can do better on the free market - where it's likely that another team would be willing to stick its neck out and sign him for lots of guaranteed money - hoping that he'll buck the overall trend and continue to perform at a high level for several years.

Who could blame Desir if this is true? This is probably his best chance to cash in for himself and his family. I'm only looking at it from the Colts perspective - what I think makes sense for the Colts. I'd expect Desir to do what's best for himself.

Last edited by Chaka; 02-21-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:05 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
So where would address his replacement? FA? Draft? What round
The draft, probably. Round depends on talent available. It's mostly a zone scheme, so it's not like we need multiple first rounders to play corner.

Though Ronald Darby is a FA and Reich would know him some from Philadephia. Jason Verrett has an injury history but is very talented when healthy, he won't command a big contract. Bradley Roby will be available.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:49 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
The draft, probably. Round depends on talent available. It's mostly a zone scheme, so it's not like we need multiple first rounders to play corner.

Though Ronald Darby is a FA and Reich would know him some from Philadephia. Jason Verrett has an injury history but is very talented when healthy, he won't command a big contract. Bradley Roby will be available.
I bet one of our first 3 picks will be a corner. Byron Murphy, Traveon Mullen, Rock-Ya Sin, Joejuan Williams. Can see us getting one of those guys.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:57 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I bet one of our first 3 picks will be a corner. Byron Murphy, Traveon Mullen, Rock-Ya Sin, Joejuan Williams. Can see us getting one of those guys.
I hope not
Old 02-21-2019, 02:17 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
I hope not
Because of the high pick used on a CB or the players?
Old 02-21-2019, 02:31 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Because of the high pick used on a CB or the players?
He will reply with "Yes".
Chromeburn (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 02:43 PM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

Well D'Joun Smith just got cut by the AAF, let's bring him back!
Old 02-21-2019, 03:07 PM

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
Well D'Joun Smith just got cut by the AAF, let's bring him back!

The Colts better hurry.....upon hearing he is a free agent, I am sure Pags ran to the Bears GM's office to beg him to sign D'Joun.