ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 12-15-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Easier for you to say. I was a Baltimore Colts fan that needed a team to follow. I never jumped ship when the team moved, so I have lived through all of the lean years just like you. I like Irsay just believe in the shoe, and everything it represents from 1953 and on.

Unitas, Berry, Ameche, Moore, Donovan, Marchetti, Parker, Jones, Mitchell, Carr, Dutton...why would you not want to accept legends like this?
After all these years, the narrative is still misunderstood. Baltimore Colts fans didn’t control whether their team stayed or moved. Baltimore Colts fans didn’t just reside in Baltimore, they were Marylanders (eastern and western shore), Delawareans, Pennsylvanians, etc. They loved their team. When the move occurred, hearts were broken. Some of us continued to follow the team and others couldn’t forgive and forget. For those of who remained a fan throughout, all Colts history is important, not just the Baltimore era or Indy era.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJColtsFan For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (12-15-2018), Thorgrim (12-16-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 08:40 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,247 Times in 1,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJColtsFan View Post

After all these years, the narrative is still misunderstood. Baltimore Colts fans didn’t control whether their team stayed or moved. Baltimore Colts fans didn’t just reside in Baltimore, they were Marylanders (eastern and western shore), Delawareans, Pennsylvanians, etc. They loved their team. When the move occurred, hearts were broken. Some of us continued to follow the team and others couldn’t forgive and forget. For those of who remained a fan throughout, all Colts history is important, not just the Baltimore era or Indy era.

o

This is what our beloved Peyton Manning had to say about wearing the same uniform as Johnny Unitas.

"I make no comparison to him. I hold him in such regard that it's an honor to wear the same uniform. The fact that my number is one below his, and the fact that I wear the same horseshoe helmet inspires me. He as the ultimate field general. He called his own plays, and was in complete control out there. He was aggressive, and utterly fearless. He was convinced that if you did things right and had worked on them, it didn't matter what the situation was. I asked him about the Jim Mutscheller play from the 1958 championship game. He said,. 'If it's there and and you execute it, it's the right call.' I have the same mentality. I make a lot of my own calls, As my offensive coordinator Tom Moore says, 'No guts, no blue chips.' If you call a play you believe in, what does it matter if it's 1st and 10 on the opening drive of the 2nd half, or if it's 4th and 5 with 30 seconds to go? If this is the play you believe in, this is the play you call. You make it work. That's Unitas."

https://books.google.com/books?id=8E...Unitas&f=false

Also from Peyton Manning:

I still look to Baltimore for our history. That is why it was always such a big deal when we visited the Ravens, because Johnny U would be on the sideline. I always made a point of going over to him. He told me that he liked the way that I [played the game. I consider that the ultimate compliment."

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 12-15-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

This is what our beloved Peyton Manning had to say about wearing the same uniform as Johnny Unitas.

"I make no comparison to him. I hold him in such regard that it's an honor to wear the same uniform. The fact that my number is one below his, and the fact that I wear the same horseshoe helmet inspires me. He as the ultimate field general. He called his own plays, and was in complete control out there. He was aggressive, and utterly fearless. He was convinced that if you did things right and had worked on them, it didn't matter what the situation was. I asked him about the Jim Mutscheller play from the 1958 championship game. He said,. 'If it's there and and you execute it, it's the right call.' I have the same mentality. I make a lot of my own calls, As my offensive coordinator Tom Moore says, 'No guts, no blue chips.' If you call a play you believe in, what does it matter if it's 1st and 10 on the opening drive of the 2nd half, or if it's 4th and 5 with 30 seconds to go? If this is the play you believe in, this is the play you call. You make it work. That's Unitas."

o

Still don’t care
Old 12-15-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
o

o
Remember when Peyton intended to wear the black high tops to honor Johnny.

Last edited by NJColtsFan; 12-15-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJColtsFan View Post
Remember when Peyton intended to wear the black high tops to honor Johnny.
Remember when Unitas and the other Baltimorons were upset that Irsay took the name and the records from Baltimore????

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lings/1810527/
Old 12-15-2018, 08:53 PM
Historian

Quote:
o

Also from Peyton Manning:

I still look to Baltimore for our history. That is why it was always such a big deal when we visited the Ravens, because Johnny U would be on the sideline. I always made a point of going over to him. He told me that he liked the way that I [played the game. I consider that the ultimate compliment."

o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post

Still don’t care

o

You said that you don't care about anything about the Colts prior to 1984, with the exception of Jim Irsay.

I just gave you two glaring examples of why the entire history of the franchise (since 1953) is extremely important to BOTH Jim Irsay AND the most famous player of the Indianapolis era to ever wear the uniform, Peyton Manning ....... and you sit there like a child with his fingers in his ears, continually saying, "I don't care. I dont' care. I don't care."

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 12-15-2018, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
o

You said that you don't care about anything about the Colts prior to 1984, with the exception of Jim Irsay.

I just gave you two glaring examples of why the entire history of the franchise (since 1953) is extremely important to BOTH Jim Irsay AND the most famous player of the Indianapolis era to ever wear the uniform, Peyton Manning ....... and you sit there like a child with his fingers in his ears, continually saying, "I don't care. I dont' care. I don't care."

o

None of what you quoted has anything to do with the Indianapolis Colts. Without any of the the things you quoted the team would still be here and be the same team

The only common denominator is Jim Irsay. If he would have retired or sold the team after moving here in 1983 the team would still be here
Old 12-15-2018, 09:03 PM
Historian

Quote:
None of what you quoted has anything to do with the Indianapolis Colts. Without any of the the things you quoted the team would still be here and be the same team

The only common denominator is Jim Irsay. If he would have retired or sold the team after moving here in 1983 the team would still be here
o

Yes, it does. As I stated earlier, the only reason why the Indianapolis Colts exist in the first place is because the Baltimore Colts existed in the first place, and moved there overnight under threat of eminent domain. That is a fact, not speculation.

o

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 12-15-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
o

Yes, it does. As I stated earlier, the only reason why the Indianapolis Colts exist in the first place is because the Baltimore Colts existed in the first place, and moved there overnight under threat of eminent domain. That is a fact, not speculation.

o
But what you seem to not see is that the history of Unitas Joes and all of the other players have nothing to do with the move.

They had nothing to do with all the AFC South Titles. Nothing to do with the regular season winning streaks. Nothing to do with the Super Bowl win. Nothing..... not one damn thing

They have nothing to do with the Indianapolis Colts
Old 12-15-2018, 09:14 PM
Historian

Quote:

But what you seem to not see is that the history of Unitas Joes and all of the other players have nothing to do with the move.

They had nothing to do with all the AFC South Titles. Nothing to do with the regular season winning streaks. Nothing to do with the Super Bowl win. Nothing..... not one damn thing

They have nothing to do with the Indianapolis Colts

o

OK, Puck.

I'll side with the sentiments of Peyton Manning and Jim Irsay, and you can side with whichever sentiments you want to side with.

o