ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 03:12 PM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts
Default Kollman with insight into what Ballard/Reich are doing

As usual, Kollman has a great analysis, this time of how the Eagles built their team, and its pretty clear from watching it, that this aligns with comments and decisions from Ballard and Reich.
He makes several good points like:
1. Invest in talent on the offensive line with high draft picks.
2. Invest in depth for the defensive line. He even used the phrase "come at them in waves".
3. Don't waste money and high draft picks for shut down corners, find good safeties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgONzVArfTk

I also like what he says about the importance of the RT position, and so that's going to be a big red flag for us heading into the season.
The Following User Says Thank You to HoosierinFL For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 03:52 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

One thing I will give Ballard, the dude doesn’t ignore the lines. I still think our dline is lacking with unproven talent outside of Woods and sheard. And neither of those dudes are great. Holding out hope that some help gets cut at the dt position.

I am not that concerned with the rt position. I think we will have an adequate starter.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:14 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
One thing I will give Ballard, the dude doesn’t ignore the lines. I still think our dline is lacking with unproven talent outside of Woods and sheard. And neither of those dudes are great. Holding out hope that some help gets cut at the dt position.

I am not that concerned with the rt position. I think we will have an adequate starter.
But nobody has a Lane Johnson.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:45 PM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post

Also if we can get solid at the other 4 positions then it is a lot easier to cover the one weak one.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:10 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

Austin Howard is not a weak starter. He is average to above average probably at best but he is not weak.

Heck, honestly, even if we had to start Haeg or Good at RT, the way that the other 4 spots are shaping up, I still think we would be good (pun intended).

Howard is a cut above anyone else we could have starting there. Our O-Line, barring injury, is going to be a hugh sigh of relief this year.

Walk Worthy,
Old 05-23-2018, 09:46 AM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

Maybe my term "red flag" would have been better as "question mark". I agree with you guys that we should be at least adequate for several reasons:

improved guard play should make life easier for both tackles

Haeg/Clark/Goode have a couple years experience now, and they have all the tools and talent necessary to be successful, they just need to put it all together. Perhaps the experience will start to pay off.

I really don't know much about Austin Howard yet, but maybe he brings something good.

Smarter, less predictable play-calling and quick passes should make life a lot better for all players on the O-line.