ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 05-08-2021, 10:40 AM

Thanked 1,280 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
I don't think we have heard the last on Fisher coming here.
I certainly hope so. Starting the season with Turnstyle Tevi at LT will in all likelihood be a disaster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
Ironshaft (05-08-2021), smitty46953 (05-08-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 12:48 PM

I don't have an issue starting with Tevi, so long as that is in the knowledge that Fisher will be back for midseason. Tevi did start last year for the Chargers, was he great, no, was he playing next to Nelson, no he wasn't, should his play be better purely because of that I would say yes. Tevi is likely to be one of the better back up LT options in the league, he is a former low end starting LT.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukcolt For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (05-08-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 01:21 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Until the season starts and Left tackle proves to be an issue I am not going to worry about it. Ballard/Reich both understand the importance, even more than us, they will address it.

As far as our pass rush, the more I think on it the more I am hopeful that Turay makes a big move this year. He looked good prior to his ankle injury. The first surgery didn't work so total pass on how he looked last year. If the second surgery is successful I believe he will make a big impact. We need to develop our own defensive lineman. Impossible to buy a defensive line. I'm damn excited to watch this line develop in real time. I'm hoping for the same kind of experience I had watching the offensive line develop. You could see that we were on our way to a great offensive line even when we were 1-5. I have to pinch myself sometimes to really realize that the Colts are committed to developing a top defense. I love that we are no longer this friggin' finesse team in any way, shape or form. We are being built to physically dominate the lines. Damn that's good to see.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (05-08-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 01:55 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,598 Times in 2,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcolt View Post
I don't have an issue starting with Tevi, so long as that is in the knowledge that Fisher will be back for midseason. Tevi did start last year for the Chargers, was he great, no, was he playing next to Nelson, no he wasn't, should his play be better purely because of that I would say yes. Tevi is likely to be one of the better back up LT options in the league, he is a former low end starting LT.
He was pretty bad. Tevi is extremely athletic for a LT and if he puts it together he might be pretty good. But right now he is not good. He falls down a lot, reaches, and just plays with bad technique. He should be on the bench developing. He is a liability big time. Nelson can’t protect his outside shoulder and teams will attack him. Tevi was ranked near the bottom of all LTs, not just starters. I think he was 74.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/5/...sam-tevis-game
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Spike (05-09-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 02:45 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Agree about Tevi. Just want to point out that we pay our coaches to coach and teach. If he has the athletic ability and the correct attitude he could make himself some huge coin and make us all happy. Low probability it definitely not zero.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:03 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Agree about Tevi. Just want to point out that we pay our coaches to coach and teach. If he has the athletic ability and the correct attitude he could make himself some huge coin and make us all happy. Low probability it definitely not zero.
The Chargers do the same thing. They laughed at the turnstile Tevi comments last year. After one season they dropped him and drafted a rookie this year.

LT has a huge impact. When Castonzo was out it was like a 4 win difference between when he was on the field. Why gamble on such a long shot when you have plenty of money to sign a much better rated vet. You want to develop him, I'm ok with that, do it from the bench.

Ballard goes into every season with these obvious holes. Two years ago it was WR, last year it was pass rush, this year will be LT until they sign someone. I get that he wants to develop through the draft, but it takes time to develop rookies and it seems we are constanly rebuilding some position group. And the whole reason we are here drafting DE's with our top picks is because we struck out on the previous ones.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (05-09-2021), njcoltfan (05-09-2021), rm1369 (05-09-2021), Spike (05-09-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 06:57 PM

Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
The Chargers do the same thing. They laughed at the turnstile Tevi comments last year. After one season they dropped him and drafted a rookie this year.

LT has a huge impact. When Castonzo was out it was like a 4 win difference between when he was on the field. Why gamble on such a long shot when you have plenty of money to sign a much better rated vet. You want to develop him, I'm ok with that, do it from the bench.

Ballard goes into every season with these obvious holes. Two years ago it was WR, last year it was pass rush, this year will be LT until they sign someone. I get that he wants to develop through the draft, but it takes time to develop rookies and it seems we are constanly rebuilding some position group. And the whole reason we are here drafting DE's with our top picks is because we struck out on the previous ones.
Glass half empty or glass half full? Many teams would love to go into the post draft process with only one hole to fill.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (05-08-2021), Racehorse (05-08-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 09:25 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Glass half empty or glass half full? Many teams would love to go into the post draft process with only one hole to fill.
I’m sure shitty teams do. Think the Steelers, Pats, Chiefs, Saints think that way. Do we model ourselves after shit teams or the best teams in the league?

That has nothing to do with our inability to field the most complete team we can. Especially considering how much we sit under the cap every year. Maybe we would have gone further in the playoffs if we had more help at passrush. I hate to interrupt all the Ballard hero worship here, but we are not doing everything we can. And I hear mixed messages out of the team. We aren’t there yet, the locker room isn’t there yet, then I hear it’s a special team, they have a good feeling about this team. Which is it? People on here act like we have won something, as if we are sitting on top a couple Super Bowl wins. We haven’t won anything. Finally, is WR fixed? Can TY and Cambell stay healthy? If not we are Pittman and a bunch of nobodies again. Is passrush fixed? We drafted two guys, one of whom may not even play this year. We arguably got weaker at dline and oline this year.

It’s almost like Ballard doesn’t want to lose that first round pick next year and wants to make sure Wentz gets under that 75% mark.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 05-09-2021 at 09:46 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Dam8610 (05-09-2021), IndyNorm (05-09-2021), smitty46953 (05-09-2021), Spike (05-09-2021), Voosh (05-09-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcolt View Post
Call me crazy but we'd be much better off having a starting LT who has proven he can hold his own and not have to rely on Nelson to bail him out. I suppose if we can land Fisher and he's not ready until a couple of games into the season we can maybe live with Tevi. But if Fisher won't be ready until midseason we should probably sign the Leno.
The Following User Says Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
Spike (05-09-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
We have more holes than just LT. That's just the largest, gaping hole we have at possibly the 2nd most important position in football.

CB2 is definitely a hole and at least for the short term, pass rush is as well.