ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-10-2019, 09:17 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Watch any tape of his and notice how he attacks the OL. He’s chest to chest and beats a guard (usually) with power. He isn’t beating the guard off the snap and behind him before the guard can get his hands on him.

That last part is what the Colts want. The first part leads me to believe he would be great in a 2 gap scheme. Maybe he can play with more speed, but I don’t see any tape to show it. Just watch some Christian Wilkins and notice how often he slices or sidesteps through gaps. That’s what Eberflus wants.
What I see is that he's usually using his length to keep a guard off of him and is usually able to use that length to penetrate a gap and/or generate interior pressure. The way he attacks also allows him to stay more disciplined in gap contain and thus he doesn't have teams running at him for big gains. He has the explosiveness to knife through a gap if he needs to, but his other traits make that a risk he doesn't have to take to generate interior pressure.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:36 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,661 Times in 2,046 Posts

Quote:
I still say most of you are off on Tillery. If they trade Henry Anderson for a late pick, they aren’t spending a high pick on another player best suited for a 5T. Maybe we’ll know in a couple weeks one way or the other.
But Henry Anderson has been a 5-tech since college. He never played in anything but a 3-4 college or pro. Tillery has been a DT in a 4-3 all through college. The situations are not the same. Tillery has showed enough burst to be a 3-tech and has a frame that could put on more weight and could potentially play NT. The guy seems pretty scheme diverse. Also you have to ask what the defense asked of him, ND likes to keep their LBs free from linemen. Tillery’s RAS score is just below Q Williams so he has the athletiscm.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 04-10-2019 at 10:39 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 10:37 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
For me he was never even a top 5 DL. That's where our disagreement is. Even if healthy, I'd have William's, Sweat, Oliver, Bosa, and Allen ahead of Simmons.
That’s the nice thing about the draft. We will find out in a couple years how these guy turn out.
VeveJones007 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 10:51 AM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
But Henry Anderson has been a 5-tech since college. He never played in anything but a 3-4 college or pro. Tillery has been a DT in a 4-3 all through college. The situations are not the same. Tillery has showed enough burst to be a 3-tech and has a frame that could put on more weight and could potentially play NT. The guy seems pretty scheme diverse. Also you have to ask what the defense asked of him, ND likes to keep their LBs free from linemen. Tillery’s RAS score is just below Q Williams so he has the athletiscm.
Anderson played 3 tech here a good amount. He was pretty good at it
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
FatDT (04-11-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 02:13 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Anderson played 3 tech here a good amount. He was pretty good at it
When was that? He was always at end I thought.

Well fuck, I guess he played a lot of 3-tech at Stanford too in nickle packages. Well just ignore my earlier post, I thought he was always a 5-tech. I really wonder why they did let him go then.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...henry-anderson

Last edited by Chromeburn; 04-10-2019 at 02:19 PM.
FatDT (04-11-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 02:41 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
When was that? He was always at end I thought.

Well fuck, I guess he played a lot of 3-tech at Stanford too in nickle packages. Well just ignore my earlier post, I thought he was always a 5-tech. I really wonder why they did let him go then.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...henry-anderson
Because the whole point of Eberflus’s one gap system is to get through the gap before the OL even engages. You need a special get off, which Anderson and Tillery don’t have. They win with length and strength, not pure speed.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
What I see is that he's usually using his length to keep a guard off of him and is usually able to use that length to penetrate a gap and/or generate interior pressure. The way he attacks also allows him to stay more disciplined in gap contain and thus he doesn't have teams running at him for big gains. He has the explosiveness to knife through a gap if he needs to, but his other traits make that a risk he doesn't have to take to generate interior pressure.
That’s all well and good, but it isn’t Eberflus’s scheme. He wants that penetration first and foremost. Wreck havoc in the backfield, then the LBs clean up.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:56 PM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Because the whole point of Eberflus’s one gap system is to get through the gap before the OL even engages. You need a special get off, which Anderson and Tillery don’t have. They win with length and strength, not pure speed.
Winning is important. Who cares how it happens?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Butter (04-10-2019), Dam8610 (04-10-2019), FatDT (04-11-2019), Luck4Reich (04-10-2019), YDFL Commish (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 03:07 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Exactly. Using length and strength to win is just as good as using explosion to win, maybe even better in some cases because it causes less exposure to a big play in the run game.

Also, based on where Eberflus came from, he values length and athleticism in all his DL.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Ballard and Eberflus do. Again, I’m arguing what I believe they think, as evidenced by statements and moves that they’ve made. I think they prefer interior DL who get penetration immediately and I don’t think Tillery fits that mold; thus, I don’t think they’ll view him as a fit worthy of a top 34 pick.

I could be completely wrong. Maybe Tillery is capable. Maybe Eberflus wants more players with versatility so that he can change depending on opponent, conditions, down/distance, etc.