ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-14-2021, 12:10 AM
Post whore

Thanked 4,808 Times in 2,679 Posts
Default Which NFL franchise has had the best QB's?

I was having a few beers with some buddies of mine, who happen to be 49er fans. Which is ok, the 49ers are my 2nd team. They were debating me on which franchise in their history had the best QB's.

They picked the 49ers with Tittle, Brodie, Montana and Young. Hard to argue against that. Hell, they may have another super star in Trey Lance.

The Colts with Unitas, Jones, Manning, Painter and Luck was of course my pick. Hopefully Wentz can join this group.

So we agreed that these two teams had the best QB's. For those of you who only recognize the INDY Colts, I fucking don't. I was a Baltimore Colt fan and followed them to Indy.

We tried to think who was the 3rd team. I don't even think it is close. Maybe the Packers with Starr, Favre, and Rodgers. Or the Cowboys with Staubach and Aikman, and ........, nah fuck that with the Cowboys.

Anyway, it's the offseason and I just felt like posting this. Us Colt fans have been damn lucky with our QB's over the franchise's history.
apballin (05-14-2021), Racehorse (05-14-2021), TheMugwump (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 06:42 AM

Thanked 4,396 Times in 2,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I was having a few beers with some buddies of mine, who happen to be 49er fans. Which is ok, the 49ers are my 2nd team. They were debating me on which franchise in their history had the best QB's.

They picked the 49ers with Tittle, Brodie, Montana and Young. Hard to argue against that. Hell, they may have another super star in Trey Lance.

The Colts with Unitas, Jones, Manning, Painter and Luck was of course my pick. Hopefully Wentz can join this group.

So we agreed that these two teams had the best QB's. For those of you who only recognize the INDY Colts, I fucking don't. I was a Baltimore Colt fan and followed them to Indy.

We tried to think who was the 3rd team. I don't even think it is close. Maybe the Packers with Starr, Favre, and Rodgers. Or the Cowboys with Staubach and Aikman, and ........, nah fuck that with the Cowboys.

Anyway, it's the offseason and I just felt like posting this. Us Colt fans have been damn lucky with our QB's over the franchise's history.
Glad you included Painter to make it more even.
apballin (05-14-2021), Spike (05-14-2021), TheMugwump (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 08:39 AM

Thanked 1,568 Times in 891 Posts

I would put the Colts ahead of the 49ers as well, because Unitas = Montana; Peyton > Young; and Jones = Tittle. It's as close as it gets though.

For third place? It has to be Green Bay. Two of the 15 best QB's of all-time in Favre and Rodgers, and Starr is probably top 25 or 30 all time.

Fourth place is the tough one because no other franchise has more than two qbs who you could consider in the top 100 all-time, unless you really love Tony Romo or Joe Theismann.

Is it:

Pittsburgh (Bradshaw/Rothlisburger)
Dallas (Staubach/Aikman/Romo)
Oakland (Stabler/Plunkett)
Miami (Griese/Marino)
San Diego (Fouts/Brees/Rivers)
Philly (Cunningham/McNabb)
KC (Dawson/Mahomes)
New Orleans (Archie/Brees)
Washington (Baugh/Jurgenson/Theismann)

I think you have to go with Washington for fourth.

But this is a fantastic debate topic. FAR better than beating the DE/OT dead horse. Again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMugwump For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (05-14-2021), Spike (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 10:08 AM

Wink

Quote:

Hilarious! You made me blow a snot bubble! (Sexy, huh?)

Last edited by CaliColtsFan; 10-11-2021 at 06:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaliColtsFan For This Useful Post:
Spike (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:

We were definitely out of the top 25 without Painter getting put in the mix.
Spike (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 01:19 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Unitas was the greatest qb ever. He revolutionized the position, called his own game and was a hard-assed SOB. Rules were way different (holding was practically legal in the defensive backfield). Peyton is, to me, the ultimate expression of who Unitas was. He stood on Unitas' shoulders. Fuck those other guys, the Colts have the greatest QBs ever, not close. If what you care about is winning, then Otto Graham is your man-couldn't call his own plays though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (05-14-2021), TheMugwump (05-17-2021), YDFL Commish (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 02:24 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

o

If Jim Irsay had known that someday Curtis Painter would wear #7, he would have begged his father not to let Bert Jones don the same number when they drafted him in 1973.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
TheMugwump (05-16-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 02:38 PM
Historian

o

In my rat's ass of an opinion, both YA Tittle and Peyton Manning could lay claim to Top-5 QB spots for 2 different franchises ...... Tittle with the 49ers and the Giants, and Manning with the Colts and the Broncos.

Although he had a brief tenure with the Broncos, Peyton had 3 Manning-esque seasons from 2012 through 2014 before his final, injury-riddled campaign in 2015. He led them to a Super Bowl appearance in 2013, and he very well may have been gypped out of winning a Super Bowl in 2012 due to a brain-freeze by the Broncos' defensive backs in their divisional playoff game against the Ravens ..... and in the process, he likely would have beaten a Tom Brady-led team yet again in an AFC championship game. As it is, Manning's teams won 3 out of 4 conference championship games against Brady's teams ...... it could have been 4 out of 5 if not for that historic, defensive blunder.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 05-15-2021, 08:26 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,808 Times in 2,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMugwump View Post
I would put the Colts ahead of the 49ers as well, because Unitas = Montana; Peyton > Young; and Jones = Tittle. It's as close as it gets though.

For third place? It has to be Green Bay. Two of the 15 best QB's of all-time in Favre and Rodgers, and Starr is probably top 25 or 30 all time.

Fourth place is the tough one because no other franchise has more than two qbs who you could consider in the top 100 all-time, unless you really love Tony Romo or Joe Theismann.

Is it:

Pittsburgh (Bradshaw/Rothlisburger)
Dallas (Staubach/Aikman/Romo)
Oakland (Stabler/Plunkett)
Miami (Griese/Marino)
San Diego (Fouts/Brees/Rivers)
Philly (Cunningham/McNabb)
KC (Dawson/Mahomes)
New Orleans (Archie/Brees)
Washington (Baugh/Jurgenson/Theismann)

I think you have to go with Washington for fourth.

But this is a fantastic debate topic. FAR better than beating the DE/OT dead horse. Again.
Reviewed your list and damn there is a big drop off between the Colts/49ers and the rest of the teams.

Based on your list, here is how I would rank them, based on my Rat's ass of an opinion.

1. Colts
2. 49ers
3. Packers
4. Redskins (this was close with the Cowboys, but picked the Redskins, because I hate the Cowboys)
5. Cowboys

The rest are basically the same, no clear winner there.
TheMugwump (05-16-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 01:31 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post

Unitas was the greatest QB ever. He revolutionized the position, called his own game, and was a hard-assed SOB. Rules were way different on those days (holding was practically legal in the defensive backfield.) Peyton is, to me, the ultimate expression of who Unitas was. He stood on Unitas' shoulders. Fuck those other guys, the Colts have the greatest QB's ever, and it's not even close. If what you care about is winning, then Otto Graham is your man ...... he couldn't call his own plays, though.

o

A) ) Prior to 1974, a defensive player could hit a receiver an unlimited number of times down-field, so long as the ball was not in the air.

Starting in 1974, the most severe rule change regarding pass receivers and defenders was enacted ...... a player could only make contact 2 times overall, and one time beyond 3 yards of the line of scrimmage. This makes one appreciate what Otto Graham, Johnny Unitas, Fran Tarkenton, Bart Starr, Sonny Jurgensen, etc. accomplished. These quarterbacks all had most or all of their careers played prior to the 1974 season.

B) ) In 1977, the rule was amended to aid the pass receivers again. Starting that season, a defender could only make contact with a receiver one time ...... whether it be within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage, or further downfield.

C) ) In 1978, the rule was amended to aid the pass receivers yet again. Starting that season, a defender could make contact with a receiver only one time, and within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. If the defender made contact with a receiver 6 yards or more from the line of scrimmage, it was now considered to be pass interference (and/or defensive holding), even if the ball was not yet in the air.

* ) In the last 10-15 years (circa 2005 through the present), more rule changes protecting both the receivers and the quarterbacks has allowed offensive statistics to increase even higher than they already had been.

o

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 12-30-2022 at 01:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (05-17-2021)