ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-10-2021, 12:44 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
But he’s also going into his 5th offseason and the team has no QB, no LT, huge questions at edge rusher, and no playoff wins. So I’m not going to suck his dick. It’s not entirely his fault, but if at some point he doesn’t realize QB is not just another position then all his other work likely won’t matter at all. That’s simply reality.
Come on man. Dumb. Its not his 5th season with no QB. Luck nuked his plan two years ago. First season there wasn’t enough time to effectively replace Luck. Year two he got a vet who knows the system in the middle of a global pandemic and didnt kill the teams future. Overall rivers did well then retired. He also drafted a potential QB either starter or back up and continues the search.

What fantastic long term QB should he have gotten over the last couple years? They dont just come available. We would have exploded he he gave up what the rams did for stafford. No one seems to really want wentz or darnold.

If you think he doesn’t know the QB is uber important then you are dense. I dont care what he has said in the past, but Luck was a huge reason he took the colts GM job. He knows but his plan hit a huge landmine a couple years in. Teams go decades without finding their franchise QB. Lets hope he can do it quicker than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2021, 12:47 PM

Default 2020 with Philip Rivers, 2021 with TBD ...... the Unenviable Dilemma of Chris Ballard

Quote:
I want them to identify their guy and go get him. I don’t see QB as a position where you keep plugging in reclamation projects until one sticks.

Again, what long term franchise QB should he have acquired or who should he get for this coming season?

Last edited by rcubed; 02-10-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:58 PM

Thanked 1,655 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
Again, what long term franchise QB should he have acquired or who should he get for this coming season?

seriously, whats up with all that criticism?
Because Ballard did not immediately replace Luck with the next great franchise QB, that means he's not prioritizing the position? Literal nonsense.
The Following User Says Thank You to HoosierinFL For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Come on man. Dumb. Its not his 5th season with no QB.
Who the fuck said it was?

[/QUOTE] Teams go decades without finding their franchise QB. Lets hope he can do it quicker than that. [/QUOTE]

No fucking shit? What’s the long term outlook for those teams? Sounds like that is exactly what the fuck I am saying. I’m not criticizing him for not having found one, I’m questioning how much all the other great shit he does without one will matter. That’s fucking it. But because I’m not bowing down and sucking his dick you guys get your panties all fucking twisted. I’ve repeatedly said I like Ballard. Repeatedly said I don’t envy his position. But yes I must be dense because I don’t believe he values a QB to the same degree I do. Which is fine. We’ll see how it plays out.

I fucking said last year what I think he should have done if he didn’t think one of the QBs was worth going after - push draft capital into the future to help move up for a QB this year. They went a different route. I didn’t say it was stupid. I’m not throwing a fucking fit. I would have went a different way. Apparently that’s too much criticism. Jesus fucking Christ.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
seriously, whats up with all that criticism?
Because Ballard did not immediately replace Luck with the next great franchise QB, that means he's not prioritizing the position? Literal nonsense.
All the criticism? Jesus you guys are unbelievable. My bad - every move Ballard has ever made is the absolute bestest move ever made by a GM! Is that fucking better?

It doesn’t matter how much I’ve said I like Ballard the fact I’m concerned about his QB search means you guys lose your ability to read.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Chaka, I don’t really dispute anything you’ve said. I just question if continuing the vet approach at QB is the right approach. I understand that going the rookie route is risky and probably expensive. However, rotating through reclamation projects has costs as well. I want them to identify their guy and go get him. I don’t see QB as a position where you keep plugging in reclamation projects until one sticks. We will see where he goes with it.

But I’ll be clear again - I like and support Ballard. I just don’t believe he’s beyond questioning in this area.
Yeah, I hear you. Ultimately you have to play the cards you're dealt though. In this sense, Ballard is a victim of his own success, since he's otherwise built a quality roster. So even without a high-end QB I suspect we're going to perform well enough to always be drafting at the back end of the first round. Given this fact, he has three choices: (1) go the free agent/trade route, (2) take a flyer on a late first round QB and wait for him to develop, or (3) mortgage the future to trade up for a high first round QB pick.

The free agent/trade route seems the most logical to me in light of our current roster. We have the cap room to take on a large contract and someone like Wentz seems like a natural fit assuming Reich is on board. We'd have him locked up for four years, but we'd only be committed for two. In the meantime, the Colts can continue to work with Eason, perhaps elevating him to a backup, or if he's not working out take another mid-round lottery pick to develop. I just don't see the Colts going the draft route unless its in conjunction with the separate signing/acquiring of a quality veteran QB.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Who the fuck said it was?
You did.

Quote:
But he’s also going into his 5th offseason and the team has no QB, no ...
Then said something implying not prioritizing the QB. Its not like he has plethora of choices. Lets see what he does. I suspect a trade up in the draft, but what the hell do I know!?
Old 02-10-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:

Again I would have bit the bullet and traded up last year if I liked one of the guys (yes paying the price) or I would have moved draft capital into this year to go get my guy. Or I would do that this year for next year. It isn’t about who I think it should be, it’s about who THEY think it should be. If their answer is “the best bet we can get cheaply” then I disagree with the prioritization of the position. It’s not about not having solved it. It’s that so far it appears (based on theirs words and known actions) that their method for solving it isn’t aggressive enough in my view. I believe a franchise QB is the single most important part of winning SBs in the NFL. If you disagree fine. If you think Wentz or Darnold or Dalton are the answer fine. But simply thinking whatever Ballard did was the only bestest option is fucking stupid.

And I’ll repeat for like the 4th fucking time - I’m not calling for Ballard to be fired. I’m not complaining he hasn’t solved the situation in a year. I’ve repeatedly said I like him. I simply would prefer to roll the dice on whoever they think the guy is - not just take what doesn’t cost much.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
You did.

Then said something implying not prioritizing the QB. Its not like he has plethora of choices. Lets see what he does. I suspect a trade up in the draft, but what the hell do I know!?
The fuck I did. I pointed out how long Ballard has been in charge in reference to the team not having a known long term solution at ANY of the 3 (in my view) most important positions. I don’t blame Ballard for not having a franchise QB. I have concerns with what it appears his method is. There is a significant difference.

If you suspect a trade up in the draft then Ballard would have done exactly what I want him to do - identify his guy and go get him. My ever so slight criticism stems from the assumption they won’t pay the price. It is admittedly an assumption, but one based on Ballard’s words (this year), his actions (last year), and the current rumors on Wentz.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:21 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,609 Times in 2,021 Posts

Ballard has done a good job overall. The talent has improved on the team with an emphasis on the lines. But we have yet to find a pass rusher and a CB. That’s on him. He is spot gapping with vets and it’s working. But if his primary building method is the draft, gotta hit on those picks or pony up and sign a free agent fix. Pass rush has been an issue on this team for awhile and corner play has been spotty. WR needs to improve, hopefully the young guys develop.

LT is new, we knew Castonzo was going to retire soon. But drafting a tackle high is a luxury for us with so many needs. No team has good oline depth as we saw what happened to the last two teams the Bucs faced.

QB is not his fault initially. But this is the second whole offseason, and upcoming third season of looking for a QB. He will have to solve the question somehow. We also had the 13 pick last year. Everybody loves Buckner, but was it ever considered to use that pick to address QB?

Right now I see this team as good, but not good enough. Really two years ago we were a few plays away from having a better record, but this year we made those few influential plays and made the playoffs. A couple Houston mistakes and we make it in this year.

If you want to call Ballard the best or one of the best in the league, then he needs to be able to face up to big boy criticism. Can’t just praise every win and excuse every miss. Unless you want to be a homer. This is what he is paid for.